No announcement yet.

Xs1100r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T.C., Yes a lot of guys over here did think that they came with the big tank, but in all cases, they've been swapped over at some stage. Ex factory, they all had the 15 litre Special tank.
    In saying that, it probably wouldn't have been a real hassle getting the dealer to fit a bigger tank if the customer asked for it.

Other than the tank, Jim's (ozlad's) Rh only differs from stock with the horns, rack, caseguards, seat (been recovered but stock shape), 4-1 exhaust, the little dash panel above the guages with the clock mounted in it, and the sidecover badges have been changed from the normal 1.1 to those XS eleven stickers.

DaveyG, the regulations regarding production bike racing back in the day were very strict. The bikes had to be run absolutely stock standard, with no deviation from the shop manual.
    There was one year when BMW won the six hour with the R90 and they got excluded from the results because the fork spring preload spacers were found at to be fitted below the springs instead of on top, as per the shop manual.
    So swapping tanks was definitely out of the question.
    I've heard of other cases where bikes have had the fuel tank blown out slighty with compressed air to give a trifle more capacity, but these were discovered during routine scrutineering, where everything is checked, firstly with placegetting bikes, then right through the field till they were all checked and official results were then posted up (sometimes, it took weeks)
    79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
    Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
    *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
    *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Originally posted by Eveready1100 View Post
      the sidecover badges have been changed from the normal 1.1 to those XS eleven stickers.
      Not just the badges Errol, the side covers are from a Standard.

Changing the tank is a popular mod with longer distance riders, heres mine with normal running mode

And changed out the tank and seat for a recent Portugal trip

Another difference on the frames is at the rear end, the XS1100R and XS1100S have simple ends to the tubes, no indicator mount big holed bracket, just flattened and drilled for the mudguard
      Tom
      1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
      1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
      1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
      1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

So, was this bike available in both Europe and Asia?

if one was to add the gussets and bracing, what would be the optimum weld procedure of choice ?
        Optimum would be TIG.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
          Hi T.C., if one was to add the gussets and bracing, what would be the optimum weld procedure of choice ?
          That which you are best at.
          From a strength standpoint, if the welds are done properly, there will not be a meaningful difference.
          CZ

Comment

Yeah, both Europe and Oceania (Oz + NZ), not sure how much of that includes Asia, but there were Japanese models, yes I know they're ALL Japanese models but sold on their home market if you know what I mean.

The 5K7 in my sig' is my XS1100S or Sport in Europe, the same as the 5N5 or XS1100RH in Oceania.

+1 on TIG. I use Mig coz its what I have and get good results with care.
            Tom
            1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
            1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
            1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
            1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

I notice the Oceana bikes are trimmed in gold, and the European ones black. Was this how they were delivered?
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                Optimum would be TIG.
                Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
                That which you are best at.
                From a strength standpoint, if the welds are done properly, there will not be a meaningful difference.
                CZ
                Originally posted by TomB View Post
                +1 on TIG. I use Mig coz its what I have and get good results with care.
                Thanxs all. Most likely will use MIG as that's what I presently have but by the time I get to the build I may have a TIG set up.
                1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Do you ride at such a level that all that bracing is necessary? Me thinks you can push an XS1100 very far before you get to where it hinges.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Do you ride at such a level that all that bracing is necessary? Me thinks you can push an XS1100 very far before you get to where it hinges.
                    It also adds unnecessary weight if you do not need it. You could easily add a good 5-10 pounds without thinking about it.
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

If a little fabrication will help eliminate the effects of " The Hinge "
                      I will be able to ride at a more agressive level, safer.

QUOTE=natemoen;429750]It also adds unnecessary weight if you do not need it. You could easily add a good 5-10 pounds without thinking about it.[/QUOTE]

I'll shed a little weight here or there to help compensate for the added gussets & bracing, but IMHO these engines won't notice it.

Actually adding the Standard tank adds most likely what the gussets and bracing will.

Do You Folks from across the pond with these gusseted/braced frames feel the hinge effect ?
                      Last edited by Schming; 01-04-2014, 02:28 PM.

Comment

I run it pretty hard and I haven't found a hinge. The heavy springs and modified forks helped a lot!

Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
                          If a little fabrication will help eliminate the effects of " The Hinge "
                          I will be able to ride at a more agressive level, safer.
                          I am assuming you are talking about the "shaft effect", wheel tucking under and raising the frame during acceleration. I don't see any reason why the gussets would help that at all. Only way to "fix" that would be to weld the swing arm in a fixed position.
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                            I am assuming you are talking about the "shaft effect", wheel tucking under and raising the frame during acceleration. I don't see any reason why the gussets would help that at all. Only way to "fix" that would be to weld the swing arm in a fixed position.

Heavy springs help with that. A lot!
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

Heavy springs help with that. A lot!
                              Yes there are things that can be done to help the issue but adding frame gussets is not one of them, unless it is to hold the swingarm in place.
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                                The shaft effect can be finessed with the throttle and front brake.

What I'm refering to is the steering wobble that is described in this thread:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...t=hinge&page=2

Comment

Working...
                                X