No announcement yet.

Xs1100r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I fitted my forks with some proper springs and emulators. I am more limited than it is. I think the weak point is the 37mm forks. Bikerphil's FJ fork upgrade probably helps more than anything.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
      The shaft effect can be finessed with the throttle and front brake.

What I'm refering to is the steering wobble that is described in this thread:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...t=hinge&page=2
      I guess I don't see how the gussets would help that either.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
        I fitted my forks with some proper springs and emulators. I am more limited than it is. I think the weak point is the 37mm forks. Bikerphil's FJ fork upgrade probably helps more than anything.
        Yes, I'm aware of the mods you've done to your suspension and I am highly considering the same path for the forks as I would like to keep them looking stock.

Hoping one of the guys with an RH will chime in on the stability, or not, that the gussets and bracing do, or do not, provide.
        1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
        1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
        1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
        1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
        1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
          I guess I don't see how the gussets would help that either.
          I'm not entirely sure the gussets and bracing would or wouldn't help either.

I'll let our Brothers who own and ride the RH's comment on that.

I'd like to see how well I can get my SF to handle aggressive riding and use my '80G Full Dresser for touring.

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
            I'd like to see how well I can get my SF to handle aggressive riding and use my '80G Full Dresser for touring.
            I swear you can make that thing rock! If I see you at a rally, you may try mine. XS Southeast is your best bet.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Problem is, the swingarm needs to be a bit stiffer too, a lot of that 'hinge' effect seems to come from back there.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                Problem is, the swingarm needs to be a bit stiffer too, a lot of that 'hinge' effect seems to come from back there.
                As big a that thing is, I have trouble seeing that. Maybe the pivot point? I'd have to take a closer look at that.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

I think Crazy Steve has a good example of a reinforced swingarm, couple other fellas did it too.

Edit: If you look at the swingarm on the right hand side it appears to be pretty flimsy.
                  Last edited by bikerphil; 01-04-2014, 08:28 PM.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                    I wonder if the R's got any love in that department, for example, heavier stock ?

There's really no room to add any support and keep it stock looking.

Comment

My two cents

It doesn't seem to me that Yamaha would just throw the gussets on for fun.
                      Many of the 70's bikes needed gusseting . Kawasaki triples the z1.
                      Most big inline fours did.
                      Spindly forks and wimpy swingarms were a lot of the problem,
                      Who remembers the term"flexi fliers"?
                      (I don't want to reignite the fork brace debate).
                      For most riders it isn't too much of an issue.
                      After all these are 600 lb bikes,
                      But I have noticed if you toss it into a corner hard and then change directions it will act like a spring ready to uncoil.
                      Lucky me, I have a deserted road race track close to home.

As for the additional weight... Eat one less meal,
                      Your safety is more important
                      78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

I think this might be more effective than a swingarm brace. That swingarm looks pretty darn stiff to me. I'd look to the pivot area if anything.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                          I swear you can make that thing rock! If I see you at a rally, you may try mine. XS Southeast is your best bet.
                          Thanxs Marty, I'm going to try my hardest to make it to XS East this year which will be my first one and if somehow I can arrange Southeast post in that thread.

Meanwhile, I'll be searching for a front & rear swirled set of wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by rdmcguy View Post
                            But I have noticed if you toss it into a corner hard and then change directions it will act like a spring ready to uncoil.

I agree, especially about the meals.

Throwin' around this Old Iron aint for the faint of heart.

Comment

Originally posted by rdmcguy View Post

+1 on the 'spring ready to uncoil', but remember too that these bikes accellerate quickly, corner and stop......just never two of the three at the same time.
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

The "hinge"?? yes the hinge does appear tamed on the XS1100R.

I own two Standards, one with steering head braced, frame braced, monoshocked rear end, bigger forks, massively lightened, and I own a stock Standard so I have some pretty good comparisons.

I hear what you're saying about the shaft effect and cornering, what I use as a measure is the high speed straight line weave, at 130mph the stock Standard could start to weave, the monoshocked bike doesn't and the stock XS1100R doesn't, I can definitely feel the difference. This is all subject to getting your forks and rear shocks in top condition, when I originally rebuilt my Sport it handled crap due to the rear shocks, I now use Koni's.

Marty, all the XS1100R and XS1100S (Sport) models had gold wheels, and gold tank, seat and panel badges, that was all though, not like the MNS's which had lots of gold trim. I have XJ1100 wheels on my Sport, I like the tubeless wheels and also like the black colour rather than the gold.

Marty's photo shows the cross tube bracing and also the underframe brace mounts, there is a large heavy brace bolted to this bracket, I have the brace but can't use it with the Kerker, it goes outside of the stock exhaust 2+3 pipes but won't fit over the Kerker collector.

Heres a swing arm with decent bracing one of the UK lads has done

Tom
                                1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                                1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                                1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                                1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Working...
                                X