No announcement yet.

What shock absorbers do you prefer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is how I have mine ran. I had never thought to run it under as Greg suggested, Might make that change. It does work as shown, but note that I did forget to keep it out from under the seat rubber cushion once.

As you can see the air fill is not in the way of any components, easily accessible....

And yes, I do use the helmet lock, often.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
      And yes, I do use the helmet lock, often.
      Ha ha ha...... that's 1.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

XJ air shocks

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        You have to remove the helmet lock and route the air hose up around the top rear of the tool box, but yes.
        So, are the options for finding a pair limited to Ebay, or maybe Andreas here on the site? Saw a few pair on Ebay tonight ...
        Marco

Current bikes:
        1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
        1979 Honda CBX
        2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
        WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
          Ha ha..don't know anyone who uses that helmet lock anyway
          I use the helmet lock. I don't expect it to stop someone who wants my helmet (don't know why anyone would though) it is just someplace to keep the helmet rather than having to carry it around with me.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Prisoner6 View Post
            So, are the options for finding a pair limited to Ebay, or maybe Andreas here on the site? Saw a few pair on Ebay tonight ...
            I've always gotten them from fleabay. If your patient enough you can get a really good price.

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
            I use the helmet lock. I don't expect it to stop someone who wants my helmet (don't know why anyone would though) it is just someplace to keep the helmet rather than having to carry it around with me.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

The lock can be relocated to the rear bag crash bars (there is a mount point for it) if you have those or just get one that mounts to the handlebar.

If my helmet one of those really high $ models I might lock it but mostly just leave it on the highway pegs.

John
              John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
              '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
              Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                The lock can be relocated to the rear bag crash bars (there is a mount point for it)...
                Or for them: (And I keyed them alike)

1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
                  Or for them: (And I keyed them alike)

Hi Schming,
                  I have one at the back like yours. I use it quite a lot. However it still hangs the helmet upside down like a bucket to catch the rain
                  Phil
                  1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                  2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                    Hi Schming,
                    I have one at the back like yours. I use it quite a lot. However it still hangs the helmet upside down like a bucket to catch the rain
                    Phil
                    Hi Phil,

On the overly humid days I'll store the half helmets in the trunk, or if it's loaded I always have a couple plastic bags with me.
                    1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Another shock option is a pair of Showa shocks. Direct bolt on to m 80SG, got them on eBay...

Here's a link to the thread from this forum.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...t=Showa+shocks
                      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                        I am running Showa air shocks; stock on a Harley davidson FLH; Roadking electraglide, etc. 35 psi max. Take offs about $25. I believe the same shock is used on some honda goldwings. I changed the rubber eye grommets, putting the Yamaha rubber part into the showa eye, so as to fit stock XS bolt. Also ground small portion off shock corner to clear helmet lock. Much improved over worn out stock XS shocks.

Good luck wrenching
                        Will these, or for that matter the XJ air shocks be a direct bolt-on for standard rear shocks?
                        1979 XS1100F
                        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I went from some what I believe to be some old school busted up Harley shocks to new school Harley progressives. I gotta say its a very firm ride, but it keeps me planted on the ground where as before I spent most of my rides flying through the air like Aladdin.
                          79 XS1100
                          fj1200 carbs
                          Dyna green coils
                          2nd gear fix
                          Frame cut w/ 06 nightster seat
                          RPM dual UNI pod filters, open headers
                          Clubman bars, drag specialties speedo, xj headlamp
                          Deleted fenders, Barnett springs
                          23 Yrs. old livin' life at 125mph

Comment

Overhere we have Ikon (former Koni), Wilbers Suspension (WP), Bitubo, Hyperpro, Technoflex all of which can make shocks for XS1100. ikon being the cheapest (relatively speaking). Normally I would go go for the Ikon and sometimes for the Ohlins by Yamaha which are standard on the XJR1200/1300 (just replace one bushing) if I find them used on ebay.
                            XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
                            MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
                            Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
                            Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
                            Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
                            Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

Bitubo is available on this side of the pond. I'm told it's a good economical option.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                                Will these, or for that matter the XJ air shocks be a direct bolt-on for standard rear shocks?
                                Bump for an answer.
                                1979 XS1100F
                                2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Working...
                                X