What shock absorbers do you prefer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What shock absorbers do you prefer

I need to replace the rear on my new2me XS Eleven Special. I see Progressive and Hagon advertised. Are there other options?

Jim Parks aka Sylvester
    Where did all the years go? I think I slept through the last two decades.

2002 Royal Star Venture
    1980 XS11SG

Originally posted by Sylvester View Post
    I need to replace the rear on my new2me XS Eleven Special. I see Progressive and Hagon advertised. Are there other options?
    There are the Chinese JCW economy shocks, if you are a heavier rider or ride 2 up, the springs will be too weak. I have used these and adapted the stock XS11 springs (not a direct fit) and they work ok. Some fellas use Honda Shadow shocks.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

YSS is an economical quality option.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

I fit the XJ1100 airshocks on mine. They work good for me.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
          I fit the XJ1100 airshocks on mine. They work good for me.
          +1.

The XJ shocks make an XS a totally different bike.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            +1.

The XJ shocks make an XS a totally different bike.
            Greg,

Can you explain HOW the XJ shocks make an XS a totally different

bike? Is it better ride quality? More adjustability? Better handling?

Thanks ... I'll stop asking questions now and start listening ...
            Marco

Current bikes:
            1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
            1979 Honda CBX
            2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
            WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Originally posted by Prisoner6 View Post
              Greg,

All of the above.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I bought a set of YSS shocks a few month ago. They are great quality for the price. When you order from them, you specify your weight, your passenger's weight and the percentage of riding time that you expect to do solo, 2up, touring, etc. They will select springs that they think will suit you the best. I've put about 3k on them so far and immediately took a trip from Maryland to Maine the day after I installed them. It was a very noticeable improvement compared to my failing stock SF shocks.
                ---------------
                XS1100SF daily rider
                XS1100F (parts/project bike)

Comment

I replaced my worn shocks with 2009 (IIRC) Shadow 1100 shocks and the ride improved dramatically. You can find them on cheapbay for next to nothing and there are no springs exposed.
                  1980G Standard, Restored
                  Kerker 4 - 1
                  850 Rear End Mod
                  2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                  Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                  Automatic CCT
                  1980GH Special, Restored
                  Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                  '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                  Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Greg,

I switched from Progressive HD to XJ Air Shocks and agree with Greg it totally changes the bike in a good way. Less tiring to ride LD.

John
                    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

showa

I am running Showa air shocks; stock on a Harley davidson FLH; Roadking electraglide, etc. 35 psi max. Take offs about $25. I believe the same shock is used on some honda goldwings. I changed the rubber eye grommets, putting the Yamaha rubber part into the showa eye, so as to fit stock XS bolt. Also ground small portion off shock corner to clear helmet lock. Much improved over worn out stock XS shocks.

Good luck wrenching
                      It is a great big beautiful world out there
                      Brent in GA
                      Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

XJ air shocks

Are the XJ air shocks a direct fit/bolt-on for a '79 SF?
                        Marco

Current bikes:
                        1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                        1979 Honda CBX
                        2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                        WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Are the XJ air shocks a direct fit/bolt-on for a '79 SF?
                          You have to remove the helmet lock and route the air hose up around the top rear of the tool box, but yes.
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I swapped the gromets left to right and did not need to remove anything. I'll try to get a pic tonight.
                            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

Ha ha...I don't know anyone who uses that helmet lock anyway and the hose lays pretty naturally along the top rear edge of the tool box.
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X