"...these go to eleven" (Build Thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a little update:

The wire harness from Andreas arrived today. Very nice, complete connectors and the wire colors are a better match. Thanks again, Andreas. I will get around to swapping the harnesses ASAP.

I put out some mad cash for some Euro foot rests from across the pond, hefty shipping penalty, and I thought the shipping on the shifter parts was steep. But hey, they will fit right off without major fabrication.

I cleaned up the front and rear brake rotors, now I can build/complete the front end of the bike. Once I stretch the tire onto the rear wheel, I will have a rolling chassis again.

"Pictures at eleven..."

Peace, Wolf
    Last edited by XS-play; 12-03-2013, 01:48 AM.
    80 SG
    81 Midnight Special (R.I.P.)

Comment

Just a Bump to get this Ooold thread active again.

I figured I should take this original thread and bring it up to speed. I have made some quantifiable progress over the last few weeks. Images tomorrow.

Peace, Wolf
      80 SG

Comment

Well. I have finally reached a minor milestone with this build, and it only took roughly eight years. I now have a rolling Chassis, sort of... The front wheel is good to go, just need to fab a thin spacer to take up some slack. The rear wheel is basically there in mock up. I have all the major components in there cept-n-fer the inner bearing cap that goes behind the cast caliper mount. As some of you may know I recently purchased some goodies from Andreas, and I am very happy with the deal he made for me. As fate would have it, I found a misplaced box of bulk hardware that I have amassed during this project. Low and behold, there was all the goodies that Andreas sent me. "how do you find a missing tool?... Buy a replacement".

Many thanx to, Andreas, Bax, bikerphil, DiverRay and others.

Like I said, I do not have the correct Standard Bearing Cap for my 17" wheel, fortunately I do have TWO Special Bearing Caps. Some may see where I am going with this... I want to turn down one of the Caps to the proper Standard size.

Does anyone have the Standard Bearing Cap readily available to get some dimensions off? I need two dimensions, the overall thickness (A) and the distance to the step on the bearing side (B). B is just to be sure that there isn't a problem on that side. Here is an image of the Special Cap which I will cut down on my lathe. My calipers say, B = 5.95mm, we could assume that is nominally, 6.00mm. And A = 21.45mm for the Special. I am guessing the Standard (A) is about 5.00-6.00mm thinner. Can someone help me out here?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Wheel SG Bearing Cap 001.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	865014

And Here are a couple of shots of the bike, to date.

On the Center Stand.

Name:	20210523_On Center Stand.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	865015

...and on the Side Stand. (Nope, did not have the center stand spring handy)

Name:	20210523_On Side Stand.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	865016

Peace, Wolf

80 SG

Comment

Wait for someone else, but I measured 14mm for "A", and 2mm for "B". This was on the bike, but not a fully assembled axle. I am NOT positive because my running bike is a Special, and the E is waiting for me to put the engine back together. I took the measurements from the rolling chassis.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
            Wait for someone else, but I measured 14mm for "A", and 2mm for "B". This was on the bike, but not a fully assembled axle. I am NOT positive because my running bike is a Special, and the E is waiting for me to put the engine back together. I took the measurements from the rolling chassis.
            Hey DiverRay

I think you were measuring the outer spacer that goes next to the swing arm and the torque plate. I need the dimensions for the Bearing Cap.

80 SG

Comment

Not this...

Name:	DSCN0077.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	865021
              80 SG

Comment

Wolf,

That 'inner' wheel side cap & spacer on a 78' E Standard I am measuring A = 13.5 mm B = 6 mm to the lip of the baseplate (B is 9.5mm all the way to the bottom of the baseplate as I think what you are showing is actually two parts Yama calls Wheel Collar and a Dust Cover)

The overall OD of the entire piece should be 51 mm and I imagine your is same 51mm
                Unlike what you are showing for the Special the Standard Baseplate is just 2.5 mm deep. I image that 'left side' on your finger. 2.5 mm wide

Would expect the other dimensions to be the same as the Standard as the right side you are showing goes into the bearing seal then up against the spacer in the wheel. The 51 mm OD fits over the seal.

Hope that is helpful. Hope somebody and confirm.

Jeff

BTW, thanks for posting an update of your progress. Be beautiful when you get it all done.

Originally posted by XS-play View Post

Like I said, I do not have the correct Standard Bearing Cap for my 17" wheel, fortunately I do have TWO Special Bearing Caps. Some may see where I am going with this... I want to turn down one of the Caps to the proper Standard size.

Does anyone have the Standard Bearing Cap readily available to get some dimensions off? I need two dimensions, the overall thickness (A) and the distance to the step on the bearing side (B). B is just to be sure that there isn't a problem on that side. Here is an image of the Special Cap which I will cut down on my lathe. My calipers say, B = 5.95mm, we could assume that is nominally, 6.00mm. And A = 21.45mm for the Special. I am guessing the Standard (A) is about 5.00-6.00mm thinner. Can someone help me out here?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rear Wheel SG Bearing Cap 001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	163.5 KB ID:	865014

Peace, Wolf
                Last edited by JeffH; 05-25-2021, 06:59 PM.
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Measurement taken on the bike...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210525_233959.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.4 KB ID:	865030

I would make it 2.5MM to be on the safe side.

That is what Jeff got, the 2.5
                  Last edited by bikerphil; 05-25-2021, 09:47 PM.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanx JeffH

That sounds good, I think you are correct, I had already figured to cut it a little long/thick and test fit, to dial it in. Bikerphil posted some images in my Brake Configuration post, the Standard image is a little fuzzy but it looks to be about two or so.
                    80 SG

Comment

Working...
                    X