XS11 back from the brink.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Orange,

Look at this recent thread, Steve's posted some good info regarding the problems with mix/matching early/late model cams and engines!!

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...869#post429869

Other's have commented about the concern and need to peform a valve piston clearance measurement before actually firing it up to ensure that you have enough to prevent them from meeting each other after the engine components heat up and expand and such!

You have the early model 79 engine and igntion/timing to go with the early cams, but I think you're saying you have slightly later model 80 pistons/head/valves. With the properly matched ignition/timing for the early cam, you may get a boost in being able to let in more air/fuel mixture due the larger valves??

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

OK,

Here's what I got:

80 heads and pistons, early 79 cams, .048 copper head gasket, no barrel base gasket.

I set up the cams and put home made piano wire helper springs on the valves so I could push the valves down easily to measure. This was a good dry run for final assembly. I used the depth gauge end of a caliper to measure so I might pick up a dial gauge to really nail down the numbers. I'm confident they are very close though.

#1 cylinder Exhaust
      20deg BTDC: .175
      15deg BTDC: .13
      10deg BTDC: .15
      0deg TDC: .15

I'm surmising that since the later cams have more lift there are deeper piston pockets

Intake
      0deg TDC: .135
      10deg ATDC: .130
      20deg ATDC: .155

So, even with no base gasket there's scads of room there. I think .1 is recommended for exhaust and .08 for intake if I'm not mistaken.

Now, I'm contemplating shaving the head a bit but they want $75 for it at my local engine shop. HMMM.
      Last edited by Orange4; 01-16-2014, 10:54 PM.
      Living to EXcess.
      1978 XS1100E Canadian, Cartridge emulators, NOS heavy duty fork springs,
      Showa rear shocks, ACCT, Jardine 4-2 spaghetti pipes.
      1979 XS1100F Canadian, stock exhaust. Top end rebuild in progress.

Comment

I did not go back through the post so, sorry if this repeat. I highly recommend you find all the post by Dan Hodges. He is a long time member here who has tried about everything and documented all his efforts to increase HP from these beast. Seems he was not recommending shaving the head IIRC.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Yeah I have read most of his good reasons and they are valve timing, valve to piston clearance and reduction of tapered squish zone. Since I have measured V-P and it's fine, I am not concerned about a small amount of timing change and am only contemplating a shave of .015 or so to clean up the surface. The squish zone should be good too. I have to calculate comp ratio now though.

Good to have all you guys encouraging due diligence. My dry run of cam install was instructive and it was good to have the pictorial handy.

Now I'm thinking about polishing the valve faces, not because I'm expecting any noticeable gains but because I love the way it looks and I like to polish stuff.
          Living to EXcess.

Comment

If you're using a matched set of '80 pistons/head, you'll have no issues with valve/piston clearances with the early cams as the intake lift is the same for all years and the early exhaust lift is less by .020".

Cutting the head is a bad idea, as that will retard your cam timing when you move the centerline of the cams and the crankshaft closer together, although you're aware of this. Big problem here is there is no truly accurate cam timing numbers as Yamaha never released them, what info you can find is 'as measured' by individuals.

The ignition needs to 'match' the cams also; to understand the differences, look here: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37189

One of the 'good/bad' things about these motors is Yamaha did an excellent job of 'optimizing' each combination (within the emission requirements they also had to meet), but it left a very narrow 'tuning window' if looking for additional power; get outside that window and you'll suffer power loss and/or drivability issues.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to point out how hard it is to go outside the 'window' and get better-than-stock results. If you haven't read Dan Hodges posts on this, you should; Dan spent more money on dyno time than most of us have in our entire bikes. Even the 'big bore' kits with the increase in displacement and a compression jump have produced little real-world power over stock. The handful of owners who have managed to get big numbers generally did so by painstakingly 'super-tuning' their combination but needed constant fiddling to maintain that power.

I'd hate to see you expend a lot of time and money and end up being disappointed...
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Piston to Valve Clearance

The best way to check actual piston to valve clearance is to use modeling clay on the valve depressions in the pistons while manually turning the engine over.

You do have to pull the head back off to see what the clearance is, but no more accurate measurement exists. After doing this you can do what ever to the cylinder head surface.

There are some draw backs of modifying the compression ratio - mainly the fact that the stock cams are only going to flow so much air and the likely scenario of not having enough camshaft to justify the modifications is pretty high.

It could benefit us to contact a camshaft manufacturer to see what the possibilities are of making some performance cams for these engines.

Mike
              1981 XS1100H Venturer
              K&N Air Filter
              ACCT
              Custom Paint by Deitz
              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
              Stebel Nautilus Horn
              EBC Front Rotors
              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
                ...It could benefit us to contact a camshaft manufacturer to see what the possibilities are of making some performance cams for these engines.
                There is still somebody out there that grinds cams for these, although I don't recall who off the top of my head. But they're not new cams, they're regrinds on welded stock cores. New blanks are unobtainium....

Not cheap either, as the last time I looked a set was over $400 exchange, and I don't think that included the springs.

Another issue is a cam/bucket valve train is difficult to gain lift. Because you lack the multiplication of rocker arms or roller surfaces, 'fast' ramp designs are tough to get without gaining duration (and killing low-end power) and/or sacrificing valve train longevity. That's why 3, 4, and even 5 valve heads showed up; if you can't open the valve more or make it bigger, several smaller valves with more area is the answer.

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

These guys list one for the excess:

http://www.webcamshafts.com/

No prices.

Stock 78 intake cams for comparison:
                  Lift .346 Duration 241°@.050

High performance street cam for stock engines. Price Per Set (2).
                  Lift.365/.365 Duration 286°/286° Duration@.050 245°/245° Grind #118

Strong mid and upper end performance for street / strip. Requires High Compression Piston, and Performance Valve Spring
                  Kit. Price Per Set (2).
                  .395/.395 284°/284° 256°/256° Grind #110

Excellent upper end performance for racing engines. Requires Performance Valve Spring Kit, Shim Under Followers, and
                  High Compression Piston. Price Per Set (2).
                  .435/.435 288°/288° 260°/260° Grind #125

Valve Springs Only
                  VS-Y11
                  Dual performance valve springs. OK up to 0.440” valve lift. Stock retainers OK
                  Very expensive fun, I expect.
                  Last edited by Orange4; 01-18-2014, 01:23 AM.
                  Living to EXcess.

Comment

Yep, those are the guys.... prices have gone up; $513 a set exchange + $63 for the springs.

And unfortunately, welded cams aren't known for their reliability or longevity...

'82 XJ rebuild project
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Spokes!

I know this isn't true xs11 but I do love me some spokes! Just picked this up yesterday. Next job will be my GL1000 rear wheel conversion. Nice thing about this mod is it's so easily reversible.

Living to EXcess.

Comment

Looks good, does the caliper clear the wires ?
                        1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                        1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                        1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                        1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                        1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

It's from an XS650 and apparently it is a bolt on conversion. I have not mounted the calipers though, I think the 650 had the same calipers.
                          Living to EXcess.

Comment

The XS650 wheel requires no modification other than adding a brake rotor to the left side if it isn't there already.
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

If you are looking for performance out of the bike you are definatly limited on mechanical design and apparently not worried about how long it stays together. You may want to focus your energy toward Nitros and mixed race fuels. Out of the pump gas today is not what it was years ago so even if you get the compression up the fuel is not. Nitros will give a definate gain in power but engine life will deminish quickly if you do not get the ratios right.
                              To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                              1980 G Silverbird
                              Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                              1198 Overbore kit
                              Grizzly 660 ACCT
                              Barnett Clutch Springs
                              R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                              122.5 Main Jets
                              ACCT Mod
                              Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                              Antivibe Bar ends
                              Rear trunk add-on
                              http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Some progress...

Slapped on the pipes I just got from Andreas (along with a bunch of other good parts) to replace the 4 into one Jardines with road rash that the bike came with. They fit nice and tight. I really like long pipes. I'm going to fab up some custom mounts so it's all solid. The stock ones are functional but a bit beat up. Happy customer.

Living to EXcess.

Comment

Working...
                                X