Carb Tuning Success Story: Part Deux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
    One thing to note: when the bike idles, it drops below 1k, sounds like it may die, then goes back upto 1100k, stays there for about half a minute, and cycles. Interesting.
    The sync isn't quite right yet.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
      The sync isn't quite right yet.
      +1......any slight idle fluxuation is one of the first tell-tale signs of 'out of sync'.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I must be close with the sync, as I have just about removed the stumble that showed itself upon take-off. I do still have that cycling effect going on with the idle, and poor gas mileage, plus that choke does not act the way it is supposed to.

I think I may have a slight rear brake drag, as I sometimes hear a squeal back there when moving the bike (I heard this may be normal), but when I grabbed the disc rotor compared to the front, it was too hot to grab. So, I think that may be a contributing factor to poor mpg's. I do have a rear MC rebuild kit from my 750 that I may use. I'll check into re-building the calipers over the Winter. S/S lines may be on the checklist for Christmas.

I'm not sure if many of you know, but Scott had installed a threaded plug on the #4 pipe for an O2 sensor he used to tune the bike. I believe he connected it to an air/fuel-rich/lean meter. I am interested in finding a similar piece of equipment and tuning my bike with those results. I'm not sure how accurate it would be, using it on only once cylinder pipe, but it's worth a shot.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

1: I guess you could get one oxygen sensor and move it from pipe to pipe.
          2: would am exhaust temp sensor be of any use? I think I've heard of people doing that.

Hats off to you on your persistence here!
          '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
          '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

The whole air/fuel ratio thing is something you do not want to do. that would explain why your initial settings were such a wide range. There is something wrong if you can get the air/idle set at 3/4 turn out. BTDT and it ran like ****e.
            Check this out for synch info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr6_Q...eature=related
            2-79 XS1100 SF
            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I reset the float height to stock settings the other night, and ended-up having to having to adjust each mixture screw a quarter turn lean from prior setting. It's definitely not right, but I'll wait till the Spring to figure out things

1979 XS1100F
              2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

https://db.tt/744K2SJo
                1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                  Quit. CZ

Comment

Just on the sync. The mixtures or something is still off, if I can't get the choke to act how I know it's supposed to work.
                    1979 XS1100F

Comment

Working...
                    X