installed new handle bars and now???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installed new handle bars and now???

I installed new drag bars on my xs and now the starter button won't work...is it grounded through the bars? Mine are coated
    80 SG "Black Widder" chop

Yes it is, best off running a new ground somehow to the R/S switch housing, or if you don't mind sanding the coating off the bar in that area.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I don't mind...should I sand it off at the risers too?

Comment

Here is a thought, will the bike be garaged or kept outdoors? Anywhere you scrape off the coating, is now bare metal subject to corroding, and causing a future poor ground. Running a wire up to the handle bars through the sheath that the harness wires are in should not be to difficult. Bring it in the switch and put a connector on ti to fit one of the small screws, and it is grounded, now run the other end to one of the screws mounting the reg/rect for a good ground.

My thought is that in the 81 model (and I thought the 80 model) Mommy Yammie added a ground wire to the starter switch instead of relying on the bars for a ground. Must have realized it was a problematic method of grounding.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

There is a ground wire present at the L/S switch, you'd have to sand there too. I like the wire idea better but your choice.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
            Here is a thought, will the bike be garaged or kept outdoors? Anywhere you scrape off the coating, is now bare metal subject to corroding, and causing a future poor ground. Running a wire up to the handle bars through the sheath that the harness wires are in should not be to difficult. Bring it in the switch and put a connector on ti to fit one of the small screws, and it is grounded, now run the other end to one of the screws mounting the reg/rect for a good ground.

My thought is that in the 81 model (and I thought the 80 model) Mommy Yammie added a ground wire to the starter switch instead of relying on the bars for a ground. Must have realized it was a problematic method of grounding.
            Changing out the stock bars and putting on a set of fully adjustable Heli-Bars on my Venturer Ihad to wrap a piece of emory paper around the area where the controls and throttle tube mount and polish the powdercoat off to get a ground. Plus, the throttle tube was dragging on the powdercoat and causing throttle to return slowly.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Very good advice...I'll run the wire for ground as corrosion could make things difficult. The bike will be garage kept but may ride in the rain a time or two as I live in Oregon. Thanks fellas. I'll let ya know how it goes. Cheers

Comment

Sanded down contact points on the bars and she's alive!!! Thanks again ;-)

Comment

Working...
                X