*#%@*&^%!%#$!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *#%@*&^%!%#$!!!!!!!!!!!

DAMMIT!!!!!!! This didn't show up with evaporust in the tank for a week, or while I was sanding and painting. As soon as I put gas in it POW it starts leaking. WTF?

Any ideas on an easy fix. Solder?
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Ouch! That's gotta hurt! Sorry for your luck.
    Solder or brazing and then a tank liner would be my choices.
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Gas can "seek out" way better than most things, so a good test is to use it for leaks before getting too smug about a tank. If you are looking for a quick fix without lining the tank, and if it's hidden, you can actually use JB Weld Epoxy. Use the REAL JB Weld, not a clone. I actually JB Welded a carb post a few years back, and it held up until the owner of the bike sold it. As far as I know it's still holding up fine. YMMV.
      Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

Not a big fan of liner. I'd like to stay away from that if I can.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

That sucks big time....

Yeah, easiest permanent fix will be solder... and it might be a good idea to coat the inside of the tank in case there's any more that haven't showed up yet.
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            Not a big fan of liner. I'd like to stay away from that if I can.
            Who is? But sometimes you have to bite the bullet....

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
              Ouch! That's gotta hurt! Sorry for your luck.
              Solder or brazing and then a tank liner would be my choices.
              If you're going to solder or braze a tank, follow the usual safety steps of making sure there is no gas or gas vapor left in the tank of course!
              Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

Headed to the tool store to price out and probably buy a mapp gas torch and some silver solder. The tank is out drying in the sun.
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
                  If you're going to solder or braze a tank, follow the usual safety steps of making sure there is no gas or gas vapor left in the tank of course!
                  Hi Greg,
                  Brazing or Silversolder (does it really contain silver??)
                  Most solder today is lead free and pretty useless.
                  Like most things I have seen this done (not actually done it my self
                  Phil
                  1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                  2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Greg, if you can get a BIG electric soldering iron, that would be better (and safer). The gas torch is going to damage the paint for a considerable distance around the repair... DAMHIKIJK...

'82 XJ rebuild project
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
                      A trick my grandfather used to do was to start a vehicle and put a hose on the tailpipe. Then he would insert it into the gas tank, let it run for a few minutes and go to welding. The vehicle would of course continue to run while he did the welding. He claimed this made it impossible to explode as there was not enough oxygen for that to happen. I am not sure he was correct but he fixed many a gas tank, some 1/2 full using this method. Maybe I am just lucky that he managed to stay around as long as he did too.
                      2-79 XS1100 SF
                      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I've already resigned myself to the fact that the paint is going to be FUBAR.

An iron won't get hot enough. Gotta heat the metal and let the solder flow into it.

It just made me mad AGAIN to go back and read what I just wrote about the paint.
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                          A trick my grandfather used to do was to start a vehicle and put a hose on the tailpipe. Then he would insert it into the gas tank, let it run for a few minutes and go to welding. The vehicle would of course continue to run while he did the welding. He claimed this made it impossible to explode as there was not enough oxygen for that to happen. I am not sure he was correct but he fixed many a gas tank, some 1/2 full using this method. Maybe I am just lucky that he managed to stay around as long as he did too.
                          Just read that on another forum. A guy from the UK posted almost that same thing.
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Greg, rinse the tank with denatured alcohol and then water before you start.

I still have that Venturer tank with all the holes in it that I need to finish filling. Lining it is a good idea if there might be other holes.
                            Nathan
                            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                            K&N Filter
                            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                            OEM Exhaust
                            ATK Fork Brace
                            LED Dash lights
                            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                            SS Brake Lines
                            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

gas tank

Just a thought......for all the trouble with this tank, I'de look on ebay and ask a couple guys in here for a better tank. A buddy of mine used the tank cream and after about a year it started flaking off something terrible.
                              At this time:
                              1985 Goldwing Innr.
                              1976 cb 750 cafe racer
                              2007 vtx 1300
                              81 sx 1100 s h
                              81 sx 400 special

Comment

Working...
                              X