Tire Size Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
    Funny, my experience was exactly the opposite.
    I assume you do it to one of your specials..? I wonder if that is a factor... Thoughts?
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Both Specials. I will be putting one on my E when I get that far with it.

It is a known fact that the closer you can get both front and rear tires to being the same size, the better a bike will handle.

But then, I prefer the buckhorn bars over the standard bars too.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

But then, I prefer the buckhorn bars over the standard bars too.
        Hey Greg,

Just remember, we call them ROTOTILLER bars just as a joke, don't go trying to do any plowing with your specials, even though they do have the smaller rear wheel so have better low speed torque! :P

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Ha haha..........did you see the furrow I cut along that road by Cashiers?
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
            I assume you do it to one of your specials..? I wonder if that is a factor... Thoughts?
            Smaller tire = quicker handling That's my experience.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
              Smaller tire = quicker handling That's my experience.
              Yeah but we are talking the front wheel and both going up to the 110/90-19 with completely different results. Just was wondering if possibly the rake is affected differently between standard and specials because the way the front axle is offset on specials..?
              Last edited by WMarshy; 10-27-2013, 11:12 PM.
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

78, 79, and 80 standards had tube type 17" rear tires. The only standard that came with a tubeless rear tire was the 81 Venturer.
                The standard got tubeless tires (and wheels) mid-79. If only the '81 had got the tubeless rear, they'd be a lot rarer than they are.....

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35442
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Yeah but we are talking the front wheel and both going up to the 110/90-19 with completely different results. Just was wondering if possibly the rake is affected differently between standard and specials because the way the front axle is offset on specials..?
                  Hi Wade,
                  nah, it's strictly cosmetic. The Special's 'trees are shorter so the fork tubes are further back and the trail is identical. The frame rake is identical too.
                  But WTF they put those Weird Harold front calipers on the Special is beyond my comprehension.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I have a Special. It turns in quicker on a smaller tire.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                      The standard got tubeless tires (and wheels) mid-79. If only the '81 had got the tubeless rear, they'd be a lot rarer than they are.....

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35442
                      Hmmm.....I've never seen a tubeless 17" outside an 81 unless it was swapped or converted. I know they went to tubeless fronts about that time when the special first came out but all the 79 standards I've ever come across had tube type rear rims.

I haven't had much experience with the G's.
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                        I have a Special. It turns in quicker on a smaller tire.
                        Would the same be true for Standards?
                        BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Originally posted by Nubian View Post
                          Would the same be true for Standards?
                          Hi Nubian,
                          sure it is. A 100/90-19 is both narrower and has a smaller O.D. than a 110/90-19.
                          Either of these things would make any bike steer quicker and here we have both.
                          That's the same bike with the same rider and the same payload.
                          Change any of those parameters and there won't be the same correlation.
                          My own XS650 experience changing the rear wheel & tire from a 130/90-16 to a 110/90-18 gained quicker steering at the price of less straight line stability.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Don't know what OEM was, but mines riding a Metzeler ME88 130-90-B17 Tubeless.
                            81 H "Traumaha"
                            06 KLR 650
                            06 Katana 600 (Sold)
                            05 Star 1100 (Sold)
                            78 GS1000 Cafe (Traded for a Chrysler 68 Newport)
                            79 RD400 (Stolen)
                            78 KE175
                            Schwinn Tricycle red (with a loud bell)

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                              Hi Nubian,
                              sure it is. A 100/90-19 is both narrower and has a smaller O.D. than a 110/90-19.
                              Either of these things would make any bike steer quicker and here we have both.
                              That's the same bike with the same rider and the same payload.
                              Change any of those parameters and there won't be the same correlation.
                              My own XS650 experience changing the rear wheel & tire from a 130/90-16 to a 110/90-18 gained quicker steering at the price of less straight line stability.
                              Ok, so a wider tire (110) provides better straight line stability? I do my fair amount of lane splitting (low speed) and there is usually a line/groove between lanes from when the blacktop was laid. I have to be very careful when navigating these
                              BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Originally posted by Garagamus View Post
                                Don't know what OEM was, but mines riding a Metzeler ME88 130-90-B17 Tubeless.
                                Hi Garagamus,
                                Clymers sez the Standard's stock rear tire is a 4.5"-17.
                                assuming those old-fashioned inch-numbered tires were as tall as they were wide (n/100) your 130/90-17 is the same O.D. and a half-inch wider.
                                Theoretically this will make the bike slower in the curves and steadier in the straightaways, even if not by much.
                                As always, many other factors apply.
                                Fred Hill, S'toon
                                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                                X