Tire Size Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Size Options

not sure if this is the place to post this. on my bike now are front- 100/90-19 rear- 130/90-16.. what is the widest tire that i can put on the rear so i got alittle more rubber for turns. i was thinking maybe 150?? i dont wanna change rims.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100LG Midnight Special

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36698
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by captjanes View Post
      not sure if this is the place to post this. on my bike now are front- 100/90-19 rear- 130/90-16.. what is the widest tire that i can put on the rear so i got alittle more rubber for turns. i was thinking maybe 150?? i dont wanna change rims.
      The front you can get a 110/90/19 on with no problems but with the shaft drive in the rear the 130/90/16 is about all you can get in there without modding the shaft tube or converting to chain drive. The 140/90/16 will go on there but the sidewall will rub in the corners on the left side.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I was talking to somebody who knows way more about this than me just recently. What he taught me was that if you're talking only about going around corners, you want the smallest tires that will fit and ideally the front and rear tires should be the same size.

Obviously, there are more considerations than just going around corners as Crazy Steve pointed out to me when I was recommending a small rear tire. There are matters like weight and horsepower to consider. In the case of the XS1100 Special I believe the most important factor was how it looked. I believe if you could actually get a 150 wide tire in there, it would actually degrade your performance, at least in getting around corners.

The first number -130- is the width of the tire in millimeters. If you measure how much space you have, you may learn 130 is about as wide as you can go.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by captjanes View Post
          not sure if this is the place to post this. on my bike now are front- 100/90-19 rear- 130/90-16.. what is the widest tire that i can put on the rear so i got a little more rubber for turns. i was thinking maybe 150?? i dont wanna change rims.
          Hi Mitch,
          those tire sizes are just about as big as will fit.
          The front will go to 110/90-19 if you are OK with a 1/32" clearance on the fender.
          Anything bigger than a stock 130/90-16 on the rear will rub on the swingarm.
          BTW, there ain't no wider rimmed wheels you could change to anyway.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Tire size?

After reading this thread, I was really comfortable ordering 2 tires. 130/90-16 rear and 100/90-19 front. The tires came in so I pulled the wheels, BUT - the rear is a 130/90-17? WTH? The last tire was put on by a shop, I never checked.

Is it possible I have a 17' wheel? Or do I put on the 16?
            Scott
            1979 XS1100F
            1978 R100S BMW

Comment

Originally posted by XS11UFO View Post
              After reading this thread, I was really comfortable ordering 2 tires. 130/90-16 rear and 100/90-19 front. The tires came in so I pulled the wheels, BUT - the rear is a 130/90-17? WTH? The last tire was put on by a shop, I never checked.

Is it possible I have a 17' wheel? Or do I put on the 16?
              Your signature shows you to have a 79 F. An F is a standard and is equipped from the factory with a 17" tube type tire.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I'm an idiot

I was afraid of that, DOH!
                Scott
                1979 XS1100F
                1978 R100S BMW

Comment

Then options on 17" tires is pretty slim. It's not a real popular size. Where did you order them from?

You may be able to contact them and swap it out.
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                    Your signature shows you to have a 79 F. An F is a standard and is equipped from the factory with a 17" tube type tire.
                    Greg- I thought just the E had tubed tires???
                    1979 XS1100F
                    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

78, 79, and 80 standards had tube type 17" rear tires. The only standard that came with a tubeless rear tire was the 81 Venturer.

There may have been some late 80's but I'm not sure.

The tube type rear wheels are fairly easy to convert to tubeless. The bead locks needed to be removed and the holes for them sealed up.
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

My 1980 G made in May has a 17 inch tubeless rear so it was at least middle of the year.
                        To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                        1980 G Silverbird
                        Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                        1198 Overbore kit
                        Grizzly 660 ACCT
                        Barnett Clutch Springs
                        R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                        122.5 Main Jets
                        ACCT Mod
                        Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                        Antivibe Bar ends
                        Rear trunk add-on
                        http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Like I said I'm not sure about all the 80's. A lot of people have swapped them out over the years and put Venturer wheels on them also.
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

This past spring I put on a new front tire and switched to a 110/90-19. I will be going back to the 100/90 next tire for sure. Reasons are because any increase in handling is negligible and unnoticed. Second, the added weight of the larger tire was definetly noticeable an seemed to have a dramatic impact on the flick-ability of the front end (i.e. More gyroscopic effect and harder to turn).
                            '79 XS11 F
                            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Funny, my experience was exactly the opposite.
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X