Wierd clutch noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh I'm okay, I was just joking.
    "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

clutch starplate bearing

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
      +1. Good idea! Otherwise, when was the last time you changed the oil? Have you switched to your winter viscocity yet? 20W50 is too thick for 45° mornings. It may also have water in it from condensation that doesn't get evaporated on short runs.
      Thanks for all the great insights. Last month I installed a new Barnett clutch and springs and Valvoline 20-50 dino motorcycle oil and filter. I will pull the case and check the bearing on the star plate. If it is bad, is it a special order bearing or something I can buy locally? I hope it is not the clutch shaft bearing. I have no place to pull an engine.

Comment

Oh, boy...reminds me of an old friend.....

Who left his fill plug home....

Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
          Take it easy Dogg, we're just messin' with each other.

If Tod would put his drain/fill plugs back in and tight he wouldn't leak so much oil.
          Wait a minute....Tod misplaces his drain plug too?!
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Mine was from my middle drive. It got all over everything by the time I noticed. I had an extra with me and John had some oil, so no harm... except the oil that is baked on to my exhaust that nothing seems to take it off. Tried brake/carb cleaner, Simichrome... thought about a rag with some brake fluid on it next. If that doesn't work, it's the oven cleaner.

kflyboy, if you have the clutch cover off, you can just grab your whole clutch basket and try to move it side to side and up and down. It may have a little in/out play, but that's normal. No movement should be possible side to side. And as far as I know, if that bearing is out, you'll just need to find another star plate. I took one of those bearings out and tried to find a replacement, but no luck. Doesn't mean it's not possible, but I didn't find one. Luckily, I had a few extra star plates.
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Usually you can find a Timken replacement for any bearing. Just find a vendor who has a chart you can use to look it up by dimension. They even have most bearings in full ceramic if you want to drop some serious money.
              "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                it's the oven cleaner.
                I have thought about that for degreasing, but some here said that it turns aluminum black.
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                  I have thought about that for degreasing, but some here said that it turns aluminum black.
                  It will eat the aluminum, as well as discolor it...
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...