Wierd clutch noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wierd clutch noise

Hi guys, I have noticed that my 80xs11 has started making a wierd skeetch sound when I disengage the clutch and start moving. It only does this twice. Once when leaving to ride to work and once at the stop sign down the street.This only happens when the temp is below 45 deg. It stops as the motor warms up and the bike runs fine. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sure it isn't the brakes dragging a little as you start?
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
      Sure it isn't the brakes dragging a little as you start?
      +1. Good idea! Otherwise, when was the last time you changed the oil? Have you switched to your winter viscocity yet? 20W50 is too thick for 45° mornings. It may also have water in it from condensation that doesn't get evaporated on short runs.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

The clutch in this engine I have in my bike now does that too. I think maybe at some time or another the friction plates have been replaced with after market plates. A different type of friction material possibly. It's been working fine for about 3 years now.

I wouldn't worry about it.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I had a bearing go bad on the main clutch shaft. It let the whole clutch basket wiggle. There's a small bearing in your star plate that gets no oil. Your throwout bearing assembly rides on this bearing. This wiggling clutch shaft wiped out two of those small bearings that were in the star plate before I realized what was going on. I could hear this bearing squeek as I let out the clutch. Not every time at first, but it finally got that way

So, even if your clutch basket isn't wigggling from a bad bearing there, (Case splitter to get to it) the little bearing in your star plate could be, due to 30+ years with no new grease. That'd require removing your clutch cover and star plate to check, so might as well throw in some Barnett springs if you do go that far to check it, and never have to worry about clutch slippage again.

If you remove your star plate, you can hold it between two fingers on the center race and spin it and see if it spins nice and smooth, or like it's rolling down a gravel road like mine were.

Not saying this is what you're hearing, but just throwing out things I've learned and had go wrong.
          Last edited by trbig; 10-17-2012, 05:12 PM.
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Could be the bearings. What type of oil are you using? In a bike I always use synthetic.
            "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by Yard Dogg View Post
              Could be the bearings. What type of oil are you using? In a bike I always use synthetic.
              Before you fully take-in Yard Dogg's recommendation for full synthetic, do so research into it withing this forum! Yard Dogg has been lucky. I think he might be baiting us into an oil thread!!!
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I'm not baiting, I just really like synthetic. I use it whenever possible. The best I've found is Kawasaki full synthetic for wet clutches, just an opinion.

The only reason I mentioned oil is because I had a similar clutch squeal on my Midnight when I first got it on the road. It had been sitting for who knows how long, on my first ride I popped it in gear and it tried to go right away even with the clutch pulled in. The plates were stuck together from the long time of inactivity. Then it squealed like a banshee for the first few pulls and started working again after getting some oil between them. It's the only reason I thought of oil.
                Last edited by Yard Dogg; 10-17-2012, 07:33 PM.
                "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                  I had a bearing go bad on the main clutch shaft. It let the whole clutch basket wiggle. There's a small bearing in your star plate that gets no oil. Your throwout bearing assembly rides on this bearing. This wiggling clutch shaft wiped out two of those small bearings that were in the star plate before I realized what was going on. I could hear this bearing squeek as I let out the clutch. Not every time at first, but it finally got that way

So, even if your clutch basket isn't wigggling from a bad bearing there, (Case splitter to get to it) the little bearing in your star plate could be, due to 30+ years with no new grease. That'd require removing your clutch cover and star plate to check, so might as well throw in some Barnett springs if you do go that far to check it, and never have to worry about clutch slippage again.

If you remove your star plate, you can hold it between two fingers on the center race and spin it and see if it spins nice and smooth, or like it's rolling down a gravel road like mine were.

Not saying this is what you're hearing, but just throwing out things I've learned and had go wrong.
                  If he's getting the same occaisional squeal I'm getting when taking off from a stop it's not a bearing noise, it's a friction material noise.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Never had one make that noise. It's GOT to be that crappy oil you keep recommending to others.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                      It's GOT to be that crappy oil you keep recommending to others.
                      If my engine leaked like yours does I would use the cheaper oil too.
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Since yours BURNS about 10x what mine leaks, sounds like you better switch.

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100

Comment

Oh dear lord I'm outta here.

Comment

LOL.. I forgot to put a little grinning icon... except that I'm serious about that last statement! Greg's thick skinned (And skulled) so he can take it.

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by Yard Dogg View Post
                              Oh dear lord I'm outta here.
                              Take it easy Dogg, we're just messin' with each other.

If Tod would put his drain/fill plugs back in and tight he wouldn't leak so much oil.
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X