No announcement yet.

Replacement Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'll get a bit more noise and a slight power loss. If backpressure is roughly the same, no tuning should be needed.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

So straight pipes are a no no...
      Yamaha 80
      Suzuki TM 400
      Honda CB 400
      Yamaha XS650 chopper
      Honda 1800 VTX S
      Suzuki C-50 Bobber (wifes)
      HD Road King Classic
      Yamaha XS 1100

Comment

If your going to run straight pipes your going to be lean and without the backpressure it will affect the top end.

Not only that, your ears will be bleeding.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

BLUF: Stock pipes and mufflers are best, 4-1 or 4-2 with crossflow second, straight pipes not recommended.

The center crossflow is what helps the stock pipes perform so well since the crossing of cylinders 1-4 and 2-3 gives countering backpressure. MAC 4-2 systems, for instance, lack the crossflow and are aesthetically pleasing, but would make tuning very difficult in the high range when gasses are moving fast. This is usually worsened when the stock airbox is replaced with pods that increase the flow rate. Pods with stock exhaust can be countered with jetting, with 4-2 you run risk of leaning out to the point of catastrophic damage.

John
          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by PapaBear1950 View Post
            So straight pipes are a no no...
            Only if you want a bike that runs right....

Straight (AKA drag) pipes have become 'acceptable' because of some of the Harley crowd (mostly the 'loud pipes save lives' bunch) but it's been dyno-proven time and again that you lose a lot of power at most points on the power curve. Plus it's all-but-impossible to tune the bike to run well at all rpms.

The XS11 is a extremely well-tuned package as delivered, so nearly any changes to the intake or exhaust will degrade the power output at some point. If you do manage to find more power (usually on the top end), you'll suffer a corrosponding loss at lower rpm (where you run the bike 95% of the time).

If you're talking to Harley guys or come from that background, remember that nearly all HD products are sold with very restrictive intake/exhaust. Almost any change will result in more power over stock (even if the bike runs poorly at some rpms), and a proper intake/exhaust upgrade can increase power up to 20%. You'll never see that much on the XS, and more often than not will lose power....
            Last edited by crazy steve; 10-14-2012, 10:20 AM.
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Nice price for a MAC system.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exhaust-Yama...e4cc49&vxp=mtr
              1979 XS1100F
              2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I have a mint condition Hooker 3-2 exhaust from my 750, as well as two OEM exhaust systems from my 750. Any reason why I cannot weld the mufflers right onto the OEM headers of the 1100?
                1979 XS1100F
                2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by tinman905 View Post
                  Have a look at these . They look like they are off a XJ1100

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/280990402540?...84.m1423.l2649
                  Thanks Tinman,
                  I was able to sustain the winning bid on this exhaust system. The only thing remaining is to get them in my garage. If they are as nice as they look in the photos I'll be a very happy man. I don't believe there is anything that looks better than the original pipes. Again, thanks for the heads-up.
                  DW
                  82 XJ

Comment

I have a feeling my tax return will be going towards Supertrapp mufflers or an original exhaust system. We'll see . . .
                    1979 XS1100F

Comment

Working...
                    X