Replacement Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Exhaust

I hope this is the right place for this. I am in need of a new exhaust system for my XJ1100. I have looked at a number of websites, but I haven't talked to any of them or anyone about a purchase. I am wondering if any of you guys can relate your experiences, or give me some advise and/or sources for a 4 into 2 that retains the centerstand.
    82 XJ

No one makes new exhaust anymore except a German guy who makes XS OEM replicas and the Campbell X-pipe (no understand with that one). You can still find new MAC exhausts on ebay for now. Otherwise it is used or homemade.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

pretty much the only thing available here in aftermarket exhaust....

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts...P-4159236.html
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by senrak View Post
        I hope this is the right place for this. I am in need of a new exhaust system for my XJ1100. I have looked at a number of websites, but I haven't talked to any of them or anyone about a purchase. I am wondering if any of you guys can relate your experiences, or give me some advise and/or sources for a 4 into 2 that retains the centerstand.
        When you say system, are you referring to the header pipes as well as the mufflers?
        The original head pipes were double walled from the factory, and were long lasting given a minimum of care. The muffler portion could be cut off, and replacements grafted on.
        If you do not have an original system, then you have problems, as the previous posters pointed out.
        What is wrong with the set you have? Noise, looks, leaks? CZ

Comment

Have a look at these . They look like they are off a XJ1100

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/280990402540?...84.m1423.l2649
          BDF Special
          80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
          Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Yep, XJ pipes. Pretty nice set too....
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Ebay XJ Pipes

Will these XJ pipes (Ebay) fit any of the XS1100s?

MP
              1981 XS1100H Venturer
              K&N Air Filter
              ACCT
              Custom Paint by Deitz
              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
              Stebel Nautilus Horn
              EBC Front Rotors
              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
                When you say system, are you referring to the header pipes as well as the mufflers?
                The original head pipes were double walled from the factory, and were long lasting given a minimum of care. The muffler portion could be cut off, and replacements grafted on.
                If you do not have an original system, then you have problems, as the previous posters pointed out.
                What is wrong with the set you have? Noise, looks, leaks? CZ
                When I picked this bike up the pipe was cracked and the muffler falling off. The four into one was smashed in front were the four pipes came together at the lowest point. The system made the centerstand unusable and missing, and the oil filter impossible to get off. The kid I got it from hadn't changed the oil since god knows when. I knew at would be a struggle to renew this bike, but like I've said before it is labor of love.
                82 XJ

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
                  Yep, some of them.... look here:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37191
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by senrak View Post
                    When I picked this bike up the pipe was cracked and the muffler falling off. The four into one was smashed in front were the four pipes came together at the lowest point. The system made the centerstand unusable and missing, and the oil filter impossible to get off. The kid I got it from hadn't changed the oil since god knows when. I knew at would be a struggle to renew this bike, but like I've said before it is labor of love.
                    Yep, you have an aftermarket system. Your only recourse is to find another aftermarket 4 into 2 system, or to find a set of stock head pipes, and adapt some mufflers to them. That will allow the installation of a useful center stand.
                    The problem is that the stock mufflers were welded to the #1 and 4 head pipes, and when the mufflers rusted out, the PO's threw the whole thing away, not realizing that the head pipes were still good, that the rusted portion could be cut off, and that Harley mufflers were easily grafted onto the head pipes.
                    Another virtue of the stock head pipes was that they are double walled, which has two benefits. One is that the chrome is less apt to blue, and the other is that the smaller diameter inner pipe causes increased gas velocity, giving higher kinetic energy to the gas flow, thereby improving exhaust scavenging.
                    If you can find a rusted out stock muffler set, they would be a good starting point.
                    Good luck, CZ

Comment

I have 3 sets of THESE. Jump on this or I will.

They don't make them anymore.
                      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

THIS is the same set but the mufflers are much quieter.
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post

MP
                          Plug and play on ANY year Special, MN Special, XJ or 81 Standard(Venturer). The rear footrest bracket and ITS mounted angle is different on the other year/models, but an offset muffler mounting bracket can easily modify that.
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Seems like many don't realize the XJ system isn't like the XS system. The mufflers on the XJ are already slip-ons. They aren't welded to the collectors like the XS system is.

The hard part is finding a decent set of the headers, then you can slip on whatever mufflers you want. With them being made just the one year here, it's a bit like hen's teeth.
                            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100
                            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

If the center "tuning" section is left off in the center after replacing the OEM pipes with aftermarket ones how is the running of the bike affected with the stock carbs?
                              Yamaha 80
                              Suzuki TM 400
                              Honda CB 400
                              Yamaha XS650 chopper
                              Honda 1800 VTX S
                              Suzuki C-50 Bobber (wifes)
                              HD Road King Classic
                              Yamaha XS 1100

Comment

Working...
                              X