Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Those Who Have Installed Harley mufflers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried to install a set of Harley mufflers but had two problems. First I had to plug the holes that join the mufflers and that wasn't a problem. Second problem is that there wasn't much pipe left on my existing pipes - only a bit of taper and There wasn't enough to mount the pipes onto. It looks like I will have to take them to a muffler shop to have them welded. Either that of find a converter that will slip inside the existing pipe and taper out to the Harley pipe.
    81H Venture - hope to ride summer 2013
    79F Cafe Racer at Some Point;
    68 CB175 Sloper - Cafe Racer
    74 KZ400 - Restoration project nightmare
    62 BSA Super Rocket - In Pieces
    72 CB100 Super Sport - Not super or sporty but fun

Comment

Originally posted by mmatches1 View Post
      I tried to install a set of Harley mufflers but had two problems. First I had to plug the holes that join the mufflers and that wasn't a problem. Second problem is that there wasn't much pipe left on my existing pipes - only a bit of taper and There wasn't enough to mount the pipes onto. It looks like I will have to take them to a muffler shop to have them welded. Either that of find a converter that will slip inside the existing pipe and taper out to the Harley pipe.
      That taper you're seeing is exactly the way I cut mine. I just butt weld a 2" piece of pipe to it that allows me to slip on my harley mufflers. If you had left enough of original to clamp to, the angle would have been off anyway.
      "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

I will give it a go. Thanks.
        81H Venture - hope to ride summer 2013
        79F Cafe Racer at Some Point;
        68 CB175 Sloper - Cafe Racer
        74 KZ400 - Restoration project nightmare
        62 BSA Super Rocket - In Pieces
        72 CB100 Super Sport - Not super or sporty but fun

Comment

Originally posted by mmatches1 View Post
          First I had to plug the holes that join the mufflers and that wasn't a problem.

Why not just connect the two sides like stock?

John
          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
            Why not just connect the two sides like stock?

John

Howdy John,
            The position of the side ports on the muffler neck is such that they would interfere with the center stand, and would require a sort of U shaped cross over pipe to connect with each other. It's easier to just plug them.

CZ

Comment

When plugging them do you end up losing any performance or MPG?

Thank you,

Steve

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
              Howdy John,
              The position of the side ports on the muffler neck is such that they would interfere with the center stand, and would require a sort of U shaped cross over pipe to connect with each other. It's easier to just plug them.

CZ
              79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Originally posted by unicorncomputer View Post
                When plugging them do you end up losing any performance or MPG?

Thank you,

Steve
                Now you are getting into areas of discussion that are on a par with politics and religion.
                Some say that the crossover pipe, particularly with a resonant chamber as part of it, contributes to mid range grunt.
                You will notice that most factory systems have a cross pipe, and the XS Standards have a chamber to boot. Factories don't put things that cost extra on their bikes unless there is a reason.
                Will it make a difference that you will notice? How can you tell? You would have to have the crossover in place and test it, then remove or plug it and test some more.
                So now you just need to decide which way you want to build it, and don't worry about what difference it would have made doing it the other way. Gitter done!
                CZ

Comment

My 81 H has Harley mufflers on it, not a very good install either, some kinda hokey clamp around the muffler and the bottom of the luggage box rack to support them, poor clearance, brake lever inteference, I'm going to have to redo just about everything the PO has done on this bike. I'll get some pics before and after I get it sorted out.
                  81 XS1100H

Comment

The 78-80Standards have a longer section after where it goes from two into one pipe, making slip-ons of whatever choice do exactly that.....slip-on. IIRC, the XJ factory muffs are slip-ons to the head pipes. The Specials and 81Venturer have the short upswept muffs, and there is not much 'extra' left after cut, so a shorty stub that is swelled bigger to go over the remaining head pipe and welded, and go inside muffler ends is needed. I would imagine a set of XJ head pipes, if used on the Specials and Venturer would eliminate having to add to the collector.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool View Post
                      My 81 H has Harley mufflers on it, not a very good install either, some kinda hokey clamp around the muffler and the bottom of the luggage box rack to support them, poor clearance, brake lever inteference, I'm going to have to redo just about everything the PO has done on this bike. I'll get some pics before and after I get it sorted out.
                      This is why I love the Screamin Eagles for sportsters, they are smaller and don't cause much interference. When I mounted my pipes the other day, I noticed my factory weld cracked in front of the muffler. I will reweld them both and probably use a rubber mount this time around just in case vibration caused it.
                      "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Sportster muffs on 80G

Here are pics of my 80G with the back section of Sportster muffs welded on, you can see the weld bead. Keeps the crossover and only had to relieve (i.e. fabricate a dent) the left side muff to clear the axle nut. Right side fits with a hair of space to spare. Yeah, I am aware my side covers are different...

I had the muffs welded on over the winter (with exhaust off the bike), and due to a welding error from not having the bike as a reference, the crossover would not connect. I rode the bike for about 350 miles in the past few weekends without the crossover connected. Rode the bike back to the shop now that the weather is nice and got it fixed. Good guys at Muffler Masters in Colo Springs.

I can say unequivocally the bike is more crisp off the line and has much better lower rpm throttle response, with the crossover in place. NO contest.

I like this better than cutting further forward and losing the crossover (and losing cornering clearance from the pipes going straight back, hanging lower), and the pipes follow the stock angle with all the stock mount points and brackets.

Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
                        X