stupid throttle cable question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre sync

Did you do the pre sync as it is shown on this site? was the idle screw all the way down when you were done? Did all the throttle plates have the same clearence when you were done ? Did you answer yes to all the questions ? lol, Then that should be fine then i would suspect the throttle cable. HTH ..........MITCH
    Doug Mitchell
    82 XJ1100 sold
    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

One more thing

Check to make sure your linkage is not binding on the clamps holding your carbs to the rubber mounts . Basically the hose clamp , some times the screw part gets in the road of the linkage.....MITCH
      Doug Mitchell
      82 XJ1100 sold

Comment

I did do the synch as stated on this page, and my answer is yes to all except the idle screw question. It wasn't all the way down when I finished synching them, I just returned it to where is was originally.

I will check the hose clamps to see if they are in the way, but I don't think they are because when the throttle gets stuck I can push it down to the idle screw fairly easily. It feels like it just release to that point and then stops as if the cable was too tight (it's not though).

Thanks for the help, this site is amazing!!!!!!

Comment

AH HA

There lies the problem, the idle screw should of been all the way down when your scync was finished so you need to redo the scync your throttle plates are holding your idle open a little and yes you can shove it down enough to bring it down, but you shouldnt have too if the scync was done right sorry but take them back off and redo it i think thats the trouble wish i could do it for you, im bored lol. Cabin fever in Canada , jeez come on summer hurry up!!!!......................MITCH
          Doug Mitchell
          82 XJ1100 sold

Comment

Re: AH HA

Mitch, if you loosen the idle screw, the throttle plate for No. 3 carb WILL be closed. The idle screw controls No. 3 and all the others are linked-up to it and "synched" to it. Maybe I don't get what you are describing...

Originally posted by mitch
            There lies the problem, the idle screw should of been all the way down when your scync was finished so you need to redo the scync your throttle plates are holding your idle open a little and yes you can shove it down enough to bring it down, but you shouldnt have too if the scync was done right (snip)MITCH
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Have you set the idle speed by adjusting the cable or by adjusting the idle speed adjustment screw between carb#2 and #3? I have seen more than one XS11 that had its idle adjusted by the cable because its owner did not realize the other adjusted existed. This can cause the throttle to hang, or to increase when you move the handlebars.
              Ken Talbot

Comment

I'm pretty confused about the carb sync problem too. I did it exactly as it says on the site, but I don't understand why the idle adjustment would be all the way down when your finished. Maybe I'll just pull them off and do it again to be sure.

Ken- Yes I did adjust it using the idle screw, I even set the cable out pretty far just to make sure that wasn't too tight and keeping it from closing.

Comment

Okay, here's a long shot. When you had the carbs apart for cleaning, is there any chance you might have forgot to reinstall one or more of the springs that pull the butterflies closed? Or, if they are all there, do they all look like they're operating properly? With the tank off, and the cable disconnected again, you should be able to pullon the cable linkage with your fingers and verift that there's a pretty healthy return force. That would also be a good time to test the cable and throttle grip operation to verify that they are both smooth. IIRC, the throttle grip itself is a tricky little bugger to reassbmble perhaps it is not rotating freely??
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

AH HA

Maybe i was understood in what i meant , when you have the carbs synced on the counter ( off the bike ) and you open the throttle up and release it is the idle adj screw returning all the way to the stop, if not your butterflys are holding it open, That is the screw between carb 2 and 3. hope you understand , im not talking about the air screws......MITCH
                    Doug Mitchell
                    82 XJ1100 sold

Comment

Working...
                    X