stupid throttle cable question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stupid throttle cable question

My throttle cable came undone from the carbs somehow, and I was wondering if there was anyway to hook it back up without pulling the carbs. I've been trying to get it now for about an hour and it's driving me nuts!! Any help???? Thanks....

Throttle Cable

You may have to lift the back of the tank to get enough clearance to be comfortable but with a little clearance and a pair of long needle nose pliers it should be doable.
    Ken/Sooke
    78E Ratbyk
    82 FT500 'lilRat"

Comment

Re: Throttle Cable

You do not have to pull the carbs. It might help to get another hand at reattaching it. Reach up from below No. 2 and 3 carb and push the linkages upward against the spring action. This will raise the cable keeper. Then, have someone put the end of the cable on the left side where the slotted hole is. It might flip over, misaligning the hole and this is why it might be good to get a little help. You can certainly do it on your own if you are patient! PS, there is a cable guide attached to a bolt in the rear of the cam cover and if you unhook the cable from it before you begin "fishing" it will also help.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I got it, thanks guys! Took about an hour and alot of cussing! Don't know why I had such a hard time hooking that up but man was it a pain!

Comment

Originally posted by COxs11newbie
          I got it, thanks guys! Took about an hour and alot of cussing! Don't know why I had such a hard time hooking that up but man was it a pain!
          How's that new switch working out?

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer

How's that new switch working out?

Geezer
            Man, that thing is great!!! I can't belive how nice the starter button is! Thanks again for that, exacly what I needed and a whole lot nicer than I expected!

Comment

Man, that thing is great!!! I can't belive how nice the starter button is! Thanks again for that, exacly what I needed and a whole lot nicer than I expected!
              For those that don't know, I took a SR250 switch and rewired it for an XS11 for him. On the outside it looks almost the same but the starter button is redesigned and is 100% better.

I highly recomend this conversion. If you can take a switch apart and put it back together then this is for you. I'm doing 2 more for my bikes but these switchs shouldn't be that hard to find.

Geezer

Comment

Geezer

Is this conversion a cosmetic thing or better off kinda thing? do you have pics. you can post?

Free
                "Watchout for the guy behind the guy in front of you"

1980 XS 1100 SG

Comment

Re: Geezer

Originally posted by Never2L84Ridin
                  Is this conversion a cosmetic thing or better off kinda thing? do you have pics. you can post?

Free
                  I didn't take any pix but it's one of those things that when it's all said and done, you'd have to know what you're looking for to spot it. Other than an improved starter button that different, it looks almost the same.

If you're all interested, I'll make a step-by-step guide on how to do this. I pissed and moaned a bit about the first one but in retospect, it wasn't that hard.

Geezer

Comment

Neccessity is a mother...ain't it?

Comment

I can snap some pics of it if anyone wants them. It really does look exactly the same, but the starter button it different.

It's a awsome conversion, the new starter button is worth every bit of the work. Luckily for me geezer did all the hard work for me!!

Comment

I can snap some pics of it if anyone wants them. It really does look exactly the same, but the starter button it different.

It's a awsome conversion, the new starter button is worth every bit of the work. Luckily for me geezer did all the hard work for me!!
                        I'm looking forward to doing 2 of these for my bikes. It's 2 bad Yamaha waited until 1983 to redesign the starter button.

Geezer

Comment

The switch is great, now I've developed another problem!! My throttle won't close all the way after reved! When I let off the throttle it goes back down to a certain point (about 2-3 cm) above the idle screw, and then I have to push it down the rest of the way with a screwdriver to get it to return to idle!!!!!!

I know I should've just started a new post, but I'm sure I'll figure it out on my own. Any quick suggestions though?

Comment

The cable routing may have produced a pinch or a kink, the cable is ready to fail because it is freying inside the sleeve, or, you did a carb soak without removing the rubber seals on the throttle plate shafts and they are now swollen.

snip When I let off the throttle it goes back down to a certain point (about 2-3 cm) above the idle screw, and then I have to push it down the rest of the way with a screwdriver to get it to return to idle!!!!!!
                            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I didn't do a carb soak, I disassembled it and cleaned it but I didn't soak it in any kind of cleaning basket or anything. As for the cable kink, I was thinking about just replacing it anyways, anyone know of any good sources?

I also did a "presynch" on the carbs before i put them back on, that wouldn't have anything to do with the throttle not closing all the way would it?

As always, thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                              X