No announcement yet.

Poll. I have owned a brand-new XS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the fast feed backs on parts for my 81 XS. I have a complete engine I may put in it. The used engine only has 8K on it, but has not been started in over 20 years. I pulled the plugs and put oil in the cylinders and let it set for several days. With the plugs out of the engine, I hooked jumper cables to the starter and it turned over great. I plan to do a compression test on it and if it looks good I will switch out the engines this winter.

Earl
    80SG, 81SH, 80 standard parts bike, 81SH parts bike
    and new to me 78 standard dresser

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
      .... and still own it....
      With ya bro
      '80 XS1100 SG
      Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Just Like Yesterday

Yep, I remember the morning back in the Spring of 79 when I rode the 43 miles to the dealer in San Angelo to trade-in my Kawasaki KZ I owned at the time like it was yesterday...Even after working a 12 hr shift driving all night long out in the oil patch (prolly 400 miles), and having to wait from 6AM when I got off until after 9 when the dealer opened his door, the anticipation was thick in the early morning air. I had already made all the arrangements on the trade before-hand, so basically it was exchange of the Title to my Kawa and some $2100 in cash and I was swinging my leg over my fresh out of the crate 79 XS1100SF. I can't remember being so stoked waiting for that moment and will never forget the pure rush of adrenaline when I headed West on US 87 with the morning Sun steadily rising behind me, back toward the less-than one-horse town I lived in out in the boonies (Pop. 751 people). Nothing but clear, wide-azz, four lane divided West Texas blacktop for 43 miles and it was one of the most un-forgetable rides of my life and it was all I could do to keep it under 90mph (and keep the grin off my face and the bugs outta my teeth). Even, though I had to work that night and had to head home only to park the newly acquired beast and force myself to give into the onset of fatigue after the initial rush from the ride home and get some much needed sleep so I could go to work that night. Of course, I had a hard time concentrating on the hi-way that night at work as all I could think about was being able to get off in the AM and swing my leg back over my bike and head-off into the rising Sun...
        Last edited by tv5150; 08-03-2012, 06:11 PM.
        Current Rides:
        02 GL1800 Wing
        79 XS1100SF Sold 10-15-12
        81 XS1100H Venturer Sold 10-27-12

Comment

Great story, TV! Musta been fantastic feeling riding these beasts brand-spanking-new. I'm jealous of y'all that have had that long of a relationship with the XS. Ride hard, mofos...

Comment

new in 81

Yup, bought it for my 26th birthday. Still riding it and loving it. Picked it up at the dealer got out on the street and screwed on the power and it seemed like two blocks went by before I figured out how to slow it down. Realized then that this was a different animal. I liked it. Carefully I made my way to the freeway. On a long straight part that I knew I proceeded to open it up. When I backed off I knew that there was still a lot more in that motor. I liked it even more.

blkryno

81 11 SH (83 Venture cct, Tkat fork brace on, WezMoto SS Brake Lines, Stock style K&N Air Filter )
            79 11 SF (83 Venture cct on the shelf for it.)

Semper Fi

Loud Pipes
            Draw Cops

Don’t force it, finesse it.

Comment

'79

Took delivery of my '79 the last day of Feb., 1979. From Stovall Cycle in Pleasant Grove. A suburb of Dallas, Tx. Sold it in 1989 to a guy in Mesquite, Texas. Sure wish I could find that guy. Would love to get it back.
              "I'd rather be fishin'"
              1980sg "Cruise Missle"
              2002A Goldwing

Comment

Originally posted by RODS454 View Post
                Took delivery of my '79 the last day of Feb., 1979. From Stovall Cycle in Pleasant Grove. A suburb of Dallas, Tx. Sold it in 1989 to a guy in Mesquite, Texas. Sure wish I could find that guy. Would love to get it back.
                Definitely a good feeling.............took 14yrs., two more owners and a different part of the country, but it again rests in MY man-cave for the past seven years.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                X