• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by James England View Post
    And what is TARDIS an acronym for.....?
    Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

I have the XS650 that I bought new. I'm my own PO! I'm still very fond of the bike. Yes, I appreciate things of my era, Evel Knievel, Yamaha Specials, 60's cars, 60's & 70's music (except disco), my wife, etc.

Some things appear to be timeless; classical music, 30's cars, Victorian architecture, etc.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Geez, an english guy who doesn't know what TARDIS stands for?... James, you never watched Dr. Who? It's only the longest-running non-news TV show in history and is english to boot....
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
          .... and still own it....
          +1..............I'm my own PO............
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Geez, an english guy who doesn't know what TARDIS stands for?... James, you never watched Dr. Who? It's only the longest-running non-news TV show in history and is english to boot....
            Maybe Dr Who wasn't popular in the UK.... though I'd sure love a Sonic Screwdriver!

John

Here is a funny one of a TARDIS bookcase:

Last edited by jwhughes3; 07-25-2012, 12:29 PM.
            John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
            '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
            Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Hi James,
              Time And Relative Displacement In Space
              You must be the only person in the world that doesn't know this.
              But why does it always manifest itself as a 1960s British police emergency phone booth?
              In an early B&W episode the Doctor explains that it's supposed to disguise itself as something local and non-threatening.
              And it's stealth program is stuck.
              These days it's because the phone booth has become the show's main icon and the scriptwriters won't let the Doctor fix it.
              Whoever is playing him this season.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                Hi James,
                But why does it always manifest itself as a 1960s British police emergency phone booth?
                In an early B&W episode the Doctor explains that it's supposed to disguise itself as something local and non-threatening.
                And it's stealth program is stuck.
                These days it's because the phone booth has become the show's main icon and the scriptwriters won't let the Doctor fix it.
                Whoever is playing him this season.
                Maybe it is one of those things that to people not from the tardis see it as something normal but to those from the tardis it looks like what it truly is.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yep

Bought my SF in 79 and still have it.
                  mack
                  79 XS 1100 SF Special
                  HERMES
                  original owner
                  http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                  SPICA
                  http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                  IOTA
                  https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                  https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                  Frankford, Ont, Canada
                  613-398-6186

Comment

I do know, Steve! I was asking if the person who posted it knew......my subtlety obviously eluded you........

I watched the very first series of Doctor Who in 1964 (ish). It was Dr Who and the Zarbies. They were giant ants.

BTW... if anyone over there in the USA ever finds at a car boot sale, the episode "Dr Who and the Celestial Toymaker" (which I actually watched on TV), it would be worth at least a million dollars. Seriously. Like complete idiots, the BBC threw out many episodes of all sort of series. They ended up in the hard core under the M1 motorway. That episode of Dr Who exists only in soundtrack! The film was scrapped. Dr Who afficianados would pay dearly indeed to get a copy. So get looking!
                    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                      Hi James,
                      Not you too! Of course I know!

The box didn't start off as a phone box, BTW. It's a Police Box. They were used in the UK in Victorian times (well before the invention of the telephone by a Scot). They were a refuge for policemen in case of attack or riot. They have a siren on the roof to alert other coppers. Later, they acquired phones as an add-on.

Most of them were removed years ago but one or two still survive. They are protected monuments now. There is one on The Royal Mile, Edinburgh and I had a look at it again only last year.

My grandfather was a policeman in the London Metropolitan Police and he told me about these boxes. They were very common at one time, hence the Tardis disguising itself as one until it got stuck. I have a photo of him in his uniform in 1912. I can post it here if anyone's interested! He told me all about these boxes. He ended up in Ypres with his brother in 1914. Both survived and were decorated for bravery. So you could say I was kind raised on the TARDIS... now, what's it stand for again?
                      Last edited by James England; 07-25-2012, 05:08 PM.
                      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Brand New XS1100

I had a new 1978 XS1100 in 1978. Bought it from the dealer in my home town at the time. Loved it. I remember it being scarry fast. Kept it for about 5 years and, of course, "I wish I still had it".

MP
                        1981 XS1100H Venturer
                        K&N Air Filter
                        ACCT
                        Custom Paint by Deitz
                        Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                        Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                        Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                        Stebel Nautilus Horn
                        EBC Front Rotors
                        Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Totally And Ridiculously Dissolved In Senility?

If I ever have the balls to show my face at a rally a bunch of pissed guys old enough to be my dad will be waiting with monkey wrenches after that comment...

The young need to get a jab in now and then.

1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbyjimb View Post
                            The young need to get a jab in now and then.

Let's hope you remember those words if/when you get 'old'.

Your comment illustrates wonderfully how 'Youth is wasted on the young' !

Comment

Bought mine in Carson City in 79. Standard with full Vetter Package. Took my wife out on our first date to the mountains overlooking Lake Tahoe on the brand new bike. Even had a vetter cooler in the tail trunk stocked with glasses ,ice and champagne. Still got the bike but the wife is long gone.
                              "Little by little the look of the country changes because of the men we admire." Hud

Comment

Originally posted by jimbyjimb View Post
                                - - - If I ever have the balls to show my face at a rally a bunch of pissed guys old enough to be my dad will be waiting with monkey wrenches after that comment...
                                Hi Jim,
                                it's worse than you suppose, some of us are old enough to be your granddad.
                                Fred Hill, S'toon
                                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                                X