• Poll. I have owned a brand-new XS1100

A simple one here........
    Yes! Aren't I lucky? No wonder I feel smug
    30.16%
    Yes, but it's no big deal
    11.11%
    No. I wish I had
    28.57%
    No. I'm not bothered about it. Really.... Truly, I'm not...definitely....
    30.16%
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

I have owned a brand-new XS1100

.... and still own it....
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
      .... and still own it....
      Maximum points for you. Mine was stolen.....in Amsterdam
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I was born the same year as mine but would still love to have an original.
        Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
        Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
        Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
        Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
        Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
        K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
        81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Well, I answered YES because mine was never registered, nor was it broken in, only had 17 miles on it from rolling it out of the Navy Exchange in Japan to the ON BASE parking, to the apartments back yard where the PO fired it up once a month and rode it around the yard!

I got it 2 years later in '83 and brought it back to the States.
          And I still have it, albeit rather modded, been wrecked and rebuild but still have it.

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Owning a brand new bike back 80 (year I graduated High School) never crossed my mind. Still dosen't. But I wish I did.
            Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
            80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
            82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
            82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
            82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
            72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
            72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Wasn't even born yet....
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I was alive, not driving just yet, when these were new. Well, I was driving for the XJ. Only bike I had looked at then was a CB350 at a local garage sale. Still remember that bike, the dark green one, 73 model IIRC. Anyway, never have owned a brand new bike.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                  Anyway, never have owned a brand new bike.
                  I never have since. Bought my XS11 on credit at 19 years of age. Regretted it and then it got stolen and the insurance cleared it. I've never had a new one since and would NEVER buy one on credit!

Comment

If I were travelling with Doctor Who I'd make a point to nab an E in 78, along with an Eldorado Biarritz in 59 and a Ferrari 250GT Lusso in 62.

Sadly, no. My mom and dad were graduating highschool in 78 and just met in 82. I came along two years after that. Now, if my child-self had known about the taxes on the old beasts at the time and had more than a couple quarters to rub together, I suppose I could have put an effort into procuring an NOS XS or XJ from some dealer that had one lurking around in the back someplace. An LG or LH would have been cool.

Still, love the E though! Damn pretty bike!
                    1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

I was born at the same time the E was being first displayed in the showrooms. Getting a bike never really crossed my mind until about 30 years later...
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

Hi James,
                        it's good that I didn't buy an XS11 new, I'm really pleased that I didn't.
                        Back then I had a really nice Triumph Bonneville that I traded in as a down payment on a sailboat that I sold to pay for a European vacation and then I had nothing.
                        Losing the Bonneville was bad enough, trading an XS11 for an envelope full of photos would really suck.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by jimbyjimb View Post
                          If I were travelling with Doctor Who I'd make a point to nab an E in 78, along with an Eldorado Biarritz in 59 and a Ferrari 250GT Lusso in 62. - - -
                          Hi Jim,
                          Lotsa room in the TARDIS so don't forget to nab a 2207 Yamabeemer 2 place skyzoomer to go with them.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                            Hi Jim,
                            Lotsa room in the TARDIS so don't forget to nab a 2207 Yamabeemer 2 place skyzoomer to go with them.
                            And what is TARDIS an acronym for.....?

Comment

Hi Fred,

Agreed.

A bit off-topic BUT...

I often notice that those of a certain generation show a fondness toward things of their generation. That being said, some things had their time. Construction of the 20's, spectacular. Classical music had it's era, though plenty of great classical is still created. Sculptor's had the renaissance. Cars had the 50's and 60's, like the muscle era, the bat-mobile Caddy wings and Healey's, Jag's and Ferrari's. I think for bikes that era was mid seventies to mid eighties.

The 'Max, Interceptor, Sabre, CBX, 70's Ducati's, Ninja 900, CX500 turbo, etc. All stemmed from that era. The looks, the styles, the experimentation. The XS was born of that era and while modern machines may be better in every measurable standard they are absolutely not better in any non-measurable one. The XS lands square in the middle of my motorcycle measuring-stick, in every way it can. Love it.
                              1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

Working...
                              X