Compression problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by motoman View Post
    If not Genuine Mikuni pilots, still would NOT use them, correct holes or not. Same goes for the mains. This, as you know is one 'good enough' short-cut you'll regret forever and NEVER get the scoot to perform flawlwssly......unless corrected..... DAMHIKIJD.
    +1 on that
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by B.B. View Post
      OK so after reading the posts. Is the Float post fixable and if so then how?

Also Moto do you think I should replace the float needle and seat?

Last, what is the difference between the xs1100E, xs1100L, xs1100S, and what would I need. I am looking at replacing the float needle and seat, and bowl gasket. Thats it, none of the jets.

The 1100E indicates a 78 standard model. The 1100L would indicate a midnight special, either an LG (80) or an LH (81). An S indicates a Special, F, G ,or H - 79-81 respectivly.

78 and 79 are pretty much the same and so ar 80 and 81 except the latter was a forced detune my Ralph Nader and his cronies.

The needle and seat is really the only thing that needs to be replaced unless there is irrepairable damage to something else.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by B.B. View Post
        OK so after reading the posts. Is the Float post fixable and if so then how?
        TIG welding.

E = 78
        F = 79
        G = 80
        H = 81
        L = midnight
        S = Special

If the year designation is listed alone, it means a Standard. Adding an S means Special.

There was no Special in 78 so you will only see XS1100E meaning 1978

SF means 79 Special.
        SG means 80 Special
        SH means 81 Special.

LH means 81 Midnight Special.

As Greg alluded, 78 has hottest cams and tuning runs fastest stock.
        79 had some changes when Special was introduced with smaller rear tire than Standard.

80 was detuned even a bit more for emissions.
        81 was changed from vacuum mechanical advance to having advance set into TCI which is why 78-80 use same 2H7 TCI and only 81 uses 4R0.

In 82 the XJ TCI is different altogether from XS.

John
        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Check the way this guy fixed his. It looks like about the easiest way. And is solid.

Scroll down to post #4 in this thread below

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...post+repair%22
          80 SG XS1100
          14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Thanks,

On the carb valve needle and seat does it matter if its a xs1100 special or not? My bike is a special is the reason I am asking. there were some saying xs1100G and some xs1100SG. Does it matter?

Also about the float post. I saw some talking about JB weld but I thought that broke down in the gas and I know it does because i tried it last year amd it was like chalk when I pulled it off. Any suggestions?
            Last edited by B.B.; 07-28-2012, 10:12 PM.
            Brian

1980 xs1100 Special - Work in progress

Comment

The post I was referring to uses a post made of brass.just drill a hole in what's left of the post.then tap it for a brass screw.thread the screw into the post and drill a hole for the pin.
              80 SG XS1100
              14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

JB Weld does break down in gas, so I wouldn't use it. The needles and seats are the same for the old model carbs (78-79) and then a different style for the newer carbs (80-81). So as long as it is they correct style needle and seat it doesn't matter witch year it is for.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Ok so the carbs are apart and cleaned and I am in the process of repairing the post. I am looking to replace the bowel gaskets, the float valve needle and seat, and one of the jet needles.
                  Q's - were do you suggest I get these parts and does it matter as long as they say there for a 1980 xs1100?
                  2 places I saw were partsnmore and carbkitscapital.
                  Any recomendations?
                  Brian

1980 xs1100 Special - Work in progress

Comment

I usually get kits from georgefix on ebay. He offers very fast shipping typically.And his prices are pretty good.

I also found this on ebay. one kit
                    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-1981-xs...008ca9&vxp=mtr

There are a bunch of XS11 carb parts and kits on ebay right now.
                    80 SG XS1100
                    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Working...
                    X