No announcement yet.

Oil Seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmmmm.......the replacement seal says 32x45x8.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
      Hmmmmm.......the replacement seal says 32x45x8.
      Yeah, thats for the charging side.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Ahhhh...OK, I was reading it wrong.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
          Ahhhh...OK, I was reading it wrong.
          Don't scare me like that!
          Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
          Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by Joab View Post
            Don't scare me like that!
            Be afraid.......be very afraid..
            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Both seals were leaking when I got my used engine. The alternator side was oozing brown foam and the left side leaked pretty good. I ordered National seals in these sizes. When I tore the alternator side down it was all dry inside and the oozing had stopped. I left it alone as it seemed to cure itself. I checked endplay and replaced the left side. Did good for a while but guess what...

When the horse is dead, dismount.

Bagapotomus - '80G Attempted Rescue, '78 Engine, Vetter Bags and Trunk.

Comment

If you need any seals let me know. I have fought this problem for the last several weeks. Here is what I know, the 32x45x7 will fit but will leak/fail after some time, the OEM dimensions are: 32x48x7.

I have been trying all sizes until I finally found the one that worked. Go figure, the Yamaha dealership had them in stock. Part number is: 93101-32087-00.

Jamie
                Last edited by Jamie; 04-22-2012, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
                  If you need any seals let me know. I have fought this problem for the last several weeks. Here is what I know, the 32x45x7 will fit but will leak/fail after some time, the OEM dimensions are: 32x48x7.

I have been trying all sizes until I finally found the one that worked. Go figure, the Yamaha dealership had them in stock. Part number is: 93101-32087-00.

Jamie
                  Arnt the seals from Yamaha the ones you have to split the case to install?
                  Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
                  Ozark, Alabama

Comment

I'm not splitting the cases... I'll just keep getting new left boots...
                    When the horse is dead, dismount.

Bagapotomus - '80G Attempted Rescue, '78 Engine, Vetter Bags and Trunk.

Comment

Originally posted by Joab View Post
                      Arnt the seals from Yamaha the ones you have to split the case to install?
                      Yes, the original seals to this bike require the cases to be split to install. The ones that are pressed in without splitting are aftermarket, not really intended for this engine.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

If the original seals require splitting the cases to install them, do you have to split the cases to remove leaky originals?
                        Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

No, absolutely no splitting the cases to install the Yamaha oil seal I mentioned in my previous post. This is the Yamaha oil seal that goes on the left side (field coil, pickup coil). I installed in 5 minutes and no more pesky, irritating oil leak around the crankshaft.

Jamie

Comment

But is there a trick to taking out the factory seals with the flange without splitting the cases?
                            Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

Originally posted by BillyRok View Post
                              But is there a trick to taking out the factory seals with the flange without splitting the cases?
                              Just pry/cut it out with a screwdriver and a pair of dykes.
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Yep, like he said. I used a very sharp edges flathead and pryed the old (leaky) one out and then installed the new OEM. Pretty damn easy, and finally no more oil leak.
                                Jamie

Comment

Working...
                                X