Oil Seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Seal

So, here is the oil seal I got from Napa. It seems a little small on the outside diameter, Do I just fill in with RTV, or do I need to go find a different seal from somewhere else?

Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
    Ozark, Alabama

Did it fit in there TIGHT? Did you have to drive it in or did you just push it in?
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

It is tight to the crankshaft, loose on the outside. I just pushed it on. You can see on the pic it isn't really even touching on the outside...
      Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Find a different seal. The oil pressure will blow it out. It has to fit tight in the case and around the crank.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

What is the size of the seal that you used? Correct size should be 32x48x8, 32 being the ID, 48 being the OD, and 8 is depth, all in MM.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks Phil. Tod knows the actual part number but he is gone again on one of his frequent vacations.
            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
              What is the size of the seal that you used? Correct size should be 32x48x8, 32 being the ID, 48 being the OD, and 8 is depth, all in MM.
              That is the size seal Napa ordered for me. And they were the only auto parts store around here that didn't give me a blank look when I asked for one. Everyone else apparently cant order anything without a vehicle reference to look up in their computer.
              Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TMK-32X48X8/
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Double check the seal, the numbers should stamped on it. Sometimes parts can end up in the wrong packages.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

Comment

Thanks Greg, new Oil Seal is on order. It is a special order part, so I will let you know in a couple weeks when it arrives how it all works out.
                    Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

I hope Phils dimensions are right because that is how I looked it up.
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                        If not, I will have a fine start in opening a museum dedicated to all the oil seals that do not fit an XS1100 :P
                        Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                          Greg, yep that is the correct size for the ignition side seal, the alt. side seal has a smaller OD, 45MM.

Joab, any good bearing shop should have that seal on the shelf if you don't want to wait for special order to arrive, JAT
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

Comment

Originally posted by Joab View Post
                            If not, I will have a fine start in opening a museum dedicated to all the oil seals that do not fit an XS1100 :P
                            LOL... they might fix the front wheel seals on your 77 Ford Pinto.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

More technical info...

2H7 (79)
                              3H3

Comment

Working...
                              X