What octane fuel do you run in your XS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by motoman View Post
    Wastin' your money on premium..............at times, I think these scoots would run on kerosene..........
    A buddy of mine tried something like that; diesel in a modern v4 yamaha venture. It ran about 5 miles started skipping, smoking and quit. Drained tank, cleaned plugs, charged battery? ? Real gas, Then good to go.
    It is a great big beautiful world out there
    Brent in GA
    Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

It's been said, but it's the middle of winter and needs to be beat again like the proverbial horse to get us through 'til spring...

Unless your engine is really out of whack or the compression has been upped, it is a sure way to spend more than you need to by using premium, and as has been proven to carbon up the exhaust valves. Just don't get the obsession with premium...

The bike ain't some little sweetheart you are trying to woo at the bar with fancy drinks fellas, it's mechanical and runs best on the lowest ocatne it will use without ping/knock. I highly doubt any XS needs premium despite our desire to feel like we are doing something good for the bike, when we really aren't at all.
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Octane

Regardless of what octane I may choose to use, I will NOT leave in ANY tank fuel with ethanol in it. If there is no choice of buying E0, I will run E10 unwillingly, but it will not be left in the tank or any part of the fuel system for more than a week. If I do not ride during that week, it will be pumped/drained out. This goes for any internal combustion engine that I own whether it be a tool or off road vehicle. The exception is fuel injected cars and trucks. They are the only thing that I will leave fuel with ethanol in.

I went on a 2 day ride a while back. First day was E10 regular - 36 MPG. Second day (similar riding conditions) E0 premium - 42 MPG plus seat of the pants feel - better performance. Whether it was the E0 by itself or the combination of it and the higher octane is anyone's guess. Either way, the bike and I both liked it. I do not think that higher octane fuel in our 11s hurts anything at all.

Even our "know all" government is (finally) realizing that ethanol is NOT good.

I know we all have seen the fuel requirement printed on the decal inside of the side cover. Last one I read said 91 Octane leaded? JMHO
        1981 XS1100H Venturer
        K&N Air Filter
        ACCT
        Custom Paint by Deitz
        Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
        Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
        Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
        Stebel Nautilus Horn
        EBC Front Rotors
        Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

I know we all have seen the fuel requirement printed on the decal inside of the side cover. Last one I read said 91 Octane leaded? JMHO

.........and that rating was based off a totally different RM formula back then. Higher the octane....higher the ignition point, which in the case of most any internal combustion engine with a 10:1 compression ratio or lower does NOT require. For example, the Honda ST1300 with its 13:1 compression ratio IS required to run premium fuel.

The only instance I've heard of premium fuel being of benefit in an XS11 motor is from 3Phases some 7300mi. ride this past fall. He told me, thru a couple areas headed east on I-40 where outside temps were fairly high and cyl. temps were higher than normal runnin' a constant 5K on the slab, premium would ignite good getting a full burn and noticed a bit higher mileage and seat of the pants power increase, otherwise he just burned what was cheapest.

IMO, that's an exception to the norm that these bikes are normally ridden. Otherwise, your just fooling yourself and making your fuel cost higher and your pocketbook lighter.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
            Even our "know all" government is (finally) realizing that ethanol is NOT good.

Tell me more!
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Tell Me More

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
              Tell me more!
              Our leaders had begun to push for an increase in ethanol from E10 to E15. When this was announced, several new car manufacturers came out and said that if you use the E15 in your new vehicle - no warranty. E15 would only work in some 2012 or newer cars. So where does that leave the rest of us millions?

The environmentalists stepped in and proved that ethanol is NOT good for the environment as we once thought it was.

So the E15 got shut down - at least temporarily. One major concern was the dispensing of E15. For example: a typical gas pump with one hose dispenses 3 different grades of fuel. Each time you pump fuel, you get at least 1/3 gallon of what was pumped before you. Not a good enough method of dispensing E15.

The business that has benefited the most from ethanol in fuel is the automotive service industry. They have enjoyed a major increase in revenue repairing vehicles with ethanol related problems.

I have been told by more than one motorcycle/ATV/water sports dealer that 95% of their fuel system repairs are caused by ethanol.

Mike
              Last edited by MPittma100; 01-12-2014, 09:36 AM.
              1981 XS1100H Venturer
              K&N Air Filter
              ACCT
              Custom Paint by Deitz
              Stebel Nautilus Horn
              EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post

.........and that rating was based off a totally different RM formula back then. Higher the octane....higher the ignition point, which in the case of most any internal combustion engine with a 10:1 compression ratio or lower does NOT require. For example, the Honda ST1300 with its 13:1 compression ratio IS required to run premium fuel.

The only instance I've heard of premium fuel being of benefit in an XS11 motor is from 3Phases some 7300mi. ride this past fall. He told me, thru a couple areas headed east on I-40 where outside temps were fairly high and cyl. temps were higher than normal runnin' a constant 5K on the slab, premium would ignite good getting a full burn and noticed a bit higher mileage and seat of the pants power increase, otherwise he just burned what was cheapest.

IMO, that's an exception to the norm that these bikes are normally ridden. Otherwise, your just fooling yourself and making your fuel cost higher and your pocketbook lighter.
                I don't know how one year of requiring 91 octane leaded can 30 years later be translated into regular (87) unleaded. Over my head for sure.

As far as high compression engines only needing premium, I have owned a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 9:1 compression, and a 2002 Pontiac with 9.5:1 compression. Both vehicles required premium fuel. I do not consider either of these "high" compression.

There are just as many opinions/arguments for either of the octanes. I would guesstimate that each of us will burn what they like the most.
                1981 XS1100H Venturer
                K&N Air Filter
                ACCT
                Custom Paint by Deitz
                Stebel Nautilus Horn
                EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment

Mike,

I don't recall when the change happened, but research octane used to be posted on our gas pumps. That's how it was back in the 60's. It is the least severe fuel rating. Motor octane is the most severe rating. Since some time in the 70's, we've been using R+M/2. Yamaha did not specify how the desired octane rating is achieved.

Read more here: OCTANE RATING

Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

E15 is a problem, and most manufacturers have stated so. The main problem is, our dear leaders have mandated that "X" amount of ethanol is to be used as fuel additive per year. The dilema? We aren't burning enough fuel to where that much will be used in just a 10% mix.

As stated, they've backed off the E15 for the time being, but the AMA is actively asking people to write everyone they can to ask for a permanent ban on anything above a 10% mix.
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Article

Here is an article that helps explain octane ratings then and now:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/babba...octane-ratings.
                      1981 XS1100H Venturer
                      K&N Air Filter
                      ACCT
                      Custom Paint by Deitz
                      Stebel Nautilus Horn
                      EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment

Fuel

The article makes reference to the amount of energy per gallon. Usually it is stated as energy per pound of fuel. And when used in an engine it is the percent of energy obtained from the fuel. Modern vehicles are around 35%. Some big ship engines are at 50%

Back in the seventies Axtell in CA would test the different brands of fuel to find out which was making the most horsepower that week. They had a 750 Norton engine of well known performance parameters connected to the dyno.

Previously in this thread the burn rate of the fuels was well discussed. The type of ignition and the plugs, along with the fuel supply system, are all part of the equation. But rather than getting high tech, my theory is: If it runs fine on the cheap stuff, that is what I will use. My friends at the Rolls Royce ( remember the no lead scare ) agree. And lastly. My 1941 Ford tractor now has electronic ignition. No more points and condensor.

Unkle Crusty

Comment

Here's a link that will explain the different octane ratings...

http://retail.petro-canada.ca/en/independent/2069.aspx
                          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                          '82 XJ rebuild project
                          '80SG restified, red SOLD
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...
                          X