No announcement yet.

Never Seen XS New!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is my dads bike. I did the paint on both.

80 XS1100G Black Betty (Daily Driver)
    79 XS1100SF (Buddys Project)
    82 XJ750 Maxim (Fathers Bike)
    81 CB750F SS (Buddys Project)
    06 GSX600F Sold! (Was Mine)
    81 XS1100 Failed Bobber Project (Mine)
    81 XS1100 Parts (Mine)

Grip it, Rip it, and Stick it!!!

Comment

You got a photobucket account? If you don't get one and you can copy and paste the IMG codes right into your posts and the photos will show.

There are some other ways but that's all I've ever used.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Didn't buy new but . . .

I was starting my second year in college when the 78E came out. At that time I owned a 1970 (or 71) Yamaha R5 2-stroke 350cc street bike (and I wish that I still had it). I remember seeing the road report, as I recall it was in Cycle World magazine, and I really wanted the XS11 but just wasn't going to swing it financially.

Back in 2008 I saw one for sale in the local paper and said . . . now I can afford it . . . and the rest is history. Although it took some work on the carburators to get it running right and I wish it had the stock exhaust on it rather that the Mac 4-2, I love the bike. I understand it's systems enough that I can tinker on it and it is a thrill to ride!
        1979 F
        Mac 4-2 Exhaust
        T-Kat Fork Brace
        Spade Fuse Box Mod
        Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
        140.0 Main Jets
        45.0 Pilot Jets
        266 X-2 Needle Jets

Comment

Never Seen XS New!

OK, how many of you antique XSers are enrolled in medicare?
          I still have my XS750, purchased new in '76 from the Yam shop I worked in. The center cyl cooked at 33,000 mi, so I got an 81SH to ride. Its been good to me for last 55,000 mi.
          Just some ramblings from an old fart Yammer guy.
          ExcessiveBiker

Comment

So I'm your fathers age, 57. I went without a bike for three months waiting for my Yamaha XS1000 (NOT A TYPO!) to arrive. Ordered it in June, and picked up a full dress XS1100 September of 1977, at 22 years of age! I owned that bike for almost three years, and 40K plus miles.
            As you can see from my signature, I now have three, but the '80 MNS is the only runner. I DID have another XS11 in the late 80's, but sold it because of young children and my EX-wife.....
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
              So I'm your fathers age, 57. I went without a bike for three months waiting for my Yamaha XS1000 (NOT A TYPO!) to arrive. Ordered it in June, and picked up a full dress XS1100 September of 1977, at 22 years of age! I owned that bike for almost three years, and 40K plus miles.
              As you can see from my signature, I now have three, but the '80 MNS is the only runner. I DID have another XS11 in the late 80's, but sold it because of young children and my EX-wife.....
              My Dad was 32 when he bought the bike we call "Old Man" 1979 XS1100SF (same year I was born). I Remember him selling alot of COOL things he had while I was growing up but the bike would never go... I think the memories my Mom had going on trips on the back of the bike, and the fact that a fellow Vet painted the bike for my Dad had a bit do do with it. That and I think if she told him the "the bike has to go!" he probably had gone with it, is what kept it around. I'm now 32 (33 on the 30th) and I have a hard time fathoming how he pulled it all off back then!

I rode the bike from my Mom's garage to the wood shed in the back yard 1 months after my Dad passed away (nov '02) because she couldn't look @ it.

My Dad had told me since I can remember "When I'm dead or too old to ride her son... She's yours."

I finally Got the nuts up Sept of 09 to go get MY bike out of that shed! Been playing catch up ever sense.... but what an adventure it has been

I've made my son the same promise my father made me... Conner is 10 and I've made him promise to not make the bike wait as long to be ridden as I did... Had 43,000 on it when I pulled it out, Just turned 47,100 last night.

Life's too short to let good things wait
              Don
              1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
              1989 kawi ex500
              1996 yzf-r6
              1999 yzf-r1
              2001 kawi zx-6r
              2000 Ducati 748
              2002 YZF-R1
              2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Nice

Hey Don,

Your story is touching and gets better with every segment.
                The icing on the cake would be if You and subsequently your son were to find the same buffalo that your dad did.
                1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

I was born in '79. My Special was born in '79. I rescued her from a 5-year sit just before Christmas.....she's my first bike, and it feels like it was meant to be. :-D
                  My Special is as old as I am.

Comment

A bike is cheaper than a trophy wife....[/QUOTE]

And easier to get than a trophy wife as I kind of resemble my xs11 as I am also big and heavy.
                    '79 XS11SF

Comment

Originally posted by trdriver71 View Post
                      A bike is cheaper than a trophy wife....
                      And easier to get than a trophy wife as I kind of resemble my xs11 as I am also big and heavy.[/QUOTE]

Hey! I resemble that remark!
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Great story Don...mine has no father in it..in fact my parents did not approve of my taking to motorcycles...it wasnt til the year after he died that I got my first new bike...I told this story before so I'm not going to repeat it again but when i first saw the XJ in the showroom I knew I wanted it...to this day its the only bike I've ever bought brand new.
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I was 19 when I first got my XS. I'm 21 now
                          1981 yamaha xs eleven standard

Comment

Guess i'm one of the ole folks around here to. My first road bike was a 1971 CB125,bought it over in Germany.Try going on the autobaun on a 125. I've done it many times,just stay in the granny lane,and that was 1977. My first road bike was a 1982 Yammy XJ 650bought it brand new. There's a guy around here who sets bikes up for racing,back then I gave him every last $ I had and he made it one bad a$$ 650.I used to race anybody who would race (in my class) and I always won.Used to smoke the Kantana when it first came out. Had many bikes since,only to go back to XS-XJ but it's big brother. Never had a new 11,and it's a good thing, I wouldn't be around to talk about it.
                            Last edited by Cuda 69; 03-14-2012, 03:32 PM.
                            FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                            1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                            1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Working...
                            X