No announcement yet.

Never Seen XS New!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought Hermes new in 79, as a 19 year old. Rode him across Cananda several times. Never had tools or time so shops did all the work on him. I clocked a lot of miles until 91. Was in the military and the crap really hit the fan around then. Was gone all the time. Parked him behind my dads house and never got back to pick him up again till after my Dads death a couple years ago. He was in pretty sad shape. I was going to take him to the metal scrap dealer, but I was always curious about how they were put together. Now I'm retired and have tools and time I figured what the heck, lets have a look inside. Stumbled onto this site and now I'm hooked. It's a desease. Just finished my second restore and am looking now for an E.
    mack
    79 XS 1100 SF Special
    HERMES
    original owner
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
    SPICA
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
    IOTA
    https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
    https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
    Frankford, Ont, Canada
    613-398-6186

Comment

Love all the stories

Wow make a few pokes at someones age and look at the discussion that was born from it. lol love all the stories.
      80 XS1100G Black Betty (Daily Driver)
      79 XS1100SF (Buddys Project)
      82 XJ750 Maxim (Fathers Bike)
      81 CB750F SS (Buddys Project)
      06 GSX600F Sold! (Was Mine)
      81 XS1100 Failed Bobber Project (Mine)
      81 XS1100 Parts (Mine)

Grip it, Rip it, and Stick it!!!

Comment

I had been driving bikes on the street for 14 years when the XS1100 fist appeared. Back then, however, the price of about $3100 was more than I could cough up for a motorcycle. I bleieve I paid $250 for my first bike and numbers 2 and 3 more than likely cost less than $400 and one was brand new. Since those days I've had about 24 other bikes, mostly new but a few used models thrown in for good measure. I think the highest I've ever paid was about $14,000 for an "06" V-Rod. They are all fun, some just more interesting than others. I still have an 08" FZ1 which I really like but I've been drawn into refurbing my XS because there is a certain appeal to having a bike old enough to be called a historic vehicle, plates and all.
        Can't beat the smell of gas & oil

Comment

The older average age of the members here is a big reason why the site is great. Most here are mature enough to keep the forum friendly and informative. The young guys and the less young guys all get along, and the knowledge bandied about here is incredible. Too bad all bike forums aren't like Channel 11.

At 14 I was too young to own an XS when they debuted, but I wanted one, I wanted one bad!
          1979 Yamaha XS1100SF (gone)
          Airbox w/K&N element
          Jardine 4 into 1
          145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
          1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
          1975 Honda CB550K

Comment

I'm 27, had my 80 Special four years. Bought it from a guy in Lakewood, nice guy, had 4 bikes in his garage and was finally retiring from riding at near 80 years old! He still rode a 700-plus pound Yamaha Star! He was selling the XS, the Star, something I forgot and a really nice, immaculate early-80's 900cc inline-four Honda something. I was there specifically for the XS as I had been told by a chopper builder of all people that the XS of any configuration was a spectacular motorcycle in any way, shape or form.

My first 1000cc bike was a near-mint 1984 Honda VF1000F, nearly irreplaceable, that I got T-boned on after owning for three days! Any classic bike fan will vomit and weep over the tragic loss of that gorgeous, one of a kind, rare, rare machine. It was a great bike, awkward and screamed 80's louder than a fog horn. But, the XS is a better bike. Not as fast or glamorous or as collectible but much more repairable and ridable. One hell of a looker, too. And I do!
            1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

39, purchased my 79 XS11 about a month ago. It's my first motorcycle.

Crap, this is my mid life crisis isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by JScro View Post

Probably......

A bike is cheaper than a trophy wife....
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

35, had my XS for just under a year. waiting desperately for the weather to warm up so I can ride
                  1981 XS 11 special
                  red
                  40,000 miles

Comment

Going to be 25 in August and got my 11 in a heap of tangled metal about 4 years ago... Still haven't taken her for a ride yet...
                    BARE BONES CHOPPERS: If it don't make it go faster, you don't need it!
                    80 XS1100SG(cafe in progress *slowly)

Comment

I'll be 47 this year. First road bike was a 85 V65 Sabre purchased in 1986, then an 1100 Shadow, next was a VMAX. Currently bikeless but looking for a deal I can't refuse. The Shadow was a disappointment when it came to performance. All show no go.
                      Previous bikes: Honda V65; 1100 Shadow
                      Yamaha V-MAX

Comment

I feel as though there is one new member that said he was 19? Anyone else remember that?
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by JScro View Post

I'll be 33 end of the month... I seem to have a mid-life crisis every year, about this time of year since turning 25. I'm looking for a Dirt Bike right now.... And my Wife is upping my life insurance. There's an group of us 30-somethings that use to ride motor-cross when we were kids that have decided its time to get the band back together We're getting smarter thru the years thou... we're all getting thumpers for trail riding

I bought my first street bike @ 16... 1989 Kawasaki ex500 ninja. Some day I'll out grow the crotch rockets, but it won't be this day!
                          Don
                          1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                          1989 kawi ex500
                          1996 yzf-r6
                          1999 yzf-r1
                          2001 kawi zx-6r
                          2000 Ducati 748
                          2002 YZF-R1
                          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

When I was 20 I bought my 1980 XS11 new so not sure if that make me a minority for being an original owner or in the majority which is old enough to be your dad.
                            To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                            1980 G Silverbird
                            Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                            1198 Overbore kit
                            Grizzly 660 ACCT
                            Barnett Clutch Springs
                            R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                            122.5 Main Jets
                            ACCT Mod
                            Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                            Antivibe Bar ends
                            Rear trunk add-on
                            http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/