Never Seen XS New!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AGE< What's that?

Quit counting some time ago. Of course that might be due to senility.

My first encounter with xs1100s was in 84. I tried to buy a 79 special from a local seller.Ran like crap. he said carbs needed redone. I counted the carbs.
    I was at $1000 & he wouldn't budge off $1400. no deal. Been sorry ever since.
    Got into HDs cause they didn't have so many carbs, & had 5 b4 I got my 78E a few years ago. Fortunately, It ran like a violated primate. Just keep getting more. Learned a lot about the quadruple carbs.

Oh Yeah, age. When I looked at that 1st 79 special, I'd been riding since 1954. Tend to ramble at my age.
    Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
    stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

I can't make fun of TC though...he knows where I live.
      Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
      Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Hello I was your age when I got my first eleven. But that was in 1980. A 79 special with 1000 miles on her. Three years later I sold her to my roommate with 17000 miles. He has five or six 2 rider others for parts. I traded a 85 FJ1100 for my XS. Who would of thought that he showed up on a 79 special that is the splitting image of my first eleven (except for the exhaust) . Keep the shiny side up. Yes there is a following. I love my eleven
        Keep the shiny side up
        1979 XS1100SF
        Mac 4-1
        Drilled airbox Uni filter
        Vmax bars
        Virago 1" shorter shocks
        30K miles
        http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...429_135845.jpg
        1981XS1100SH
        '80 G Forks and Triple Tree
        '80 G tank
        Mac Turnouts
        Virago 1" shorter rear shocks
        SH Headlight
        http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...psd6adaae1.jpg
        61 Wife
        83 Son
        86 Son
        89 Daughter

Comment

I guess I'm one of the young guys too, but that's why I like this forum. The discussions are much more civil and people (well most people) actually have some common sense (something lacking from the world).

BTW: I've got you all beat at 21.
          1979 XS1100

Comment

well my Dad bought the XS I call "Old Man" in tribute to him about 3 months after I was born.... June or July 1979. So technically I'm older than My XS
            The first ride I had on it that I can remember was he took me to pre-school on it, I rode on the gas tank.
            Don
            1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
            1989 kawi ex500
            1996 yzf-r6
            1999 yzf-r1
            2001 kawi zx-6r
            2000 Ducati 748
            2002 YZF-R1
            2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
              I bought my '78 new, and was closer to thirty than twenty then, so I guess that makes me one of the 'old guys'....
              You bought your bike a year before I was born. I just turned 33. It just shows how a awesome motorcycle can bring together a group of people from all different eras. Just my 2 cent worth I guess.
              1982 xj 1100
              "The Ape"
              http://youtu.be/AiQ8CqclHr4

Comment

Originally posted by XJfan1 View Post
                You bought your bike a year before I was born. I just turned 33. It just shows how a awesome motorcycle can bring together a group of people from all different eras. Just my 2 cent worth I guess.
                That's his nice way of calling you old Steve....
                Don
                1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                1989 kawi ex500
                1996 yzf-r6
                1999 yzf-r1
                2001 kawi zx-6r
                2000 Ducati 748
                2002 YZF-R1
                2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Yeah, but the bike has had staying power; it's older than all my kids, and outlasted two exwives....
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                    and outlasted two exwives....
                    hahahaha... Mine will go to my son when its time... His grandfather would have wanted it that way
                    Don

old:
                    1989 kawi ex500
                    1996 yzf-r6
                    1999 yzf-r1
                    2001 kawi zx-6r
                    2000 Ducati 748
                    2002 YZF-R1
                    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

I got my first XS1100 two years ago (and I just turned 50 last Sunday) but my son got his first XS1100 last year... he was 16 when he got it. So it looks like he has everyone beat.
                      Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
                      80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
                      82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
                      82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
                      82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
                      72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
                      72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Forgot to say I was 30 when I saw Max at the dealer's back in '83. There have been a few rough periods in my life where I thought i would have to sell it but I always managed to keep it...as these are keepers...but my XJ is half my age
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

i got my first xs11 at 20 and now on number 4 and i just turned 25. only reason i got rid of the others was i sold them to younger guys around here and people give the xs11 away for a few hundred dollars when they dont run.

Comment

I bought a brand new on in 1979. At that time, I was 19 years old. 33 years ago. How depressing.

On a patronising (but well meant) note..... enjoy life, do it while you can. Take care of your body...it's the only one you have and, believe me, it won't last forever if you're rough on it.

Boy, I wish I were your age, knowing what I know now!

TAKE CARE on the bike

(I hear you already saying "shut up, pops")
                            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

xs 850

I got my first xs when I was 26,,,xs850. Gulp,, I'm 43? now. I think. After 30 I stopped keeping track.
                              79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                              80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                              80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                              79 DT 100

Comment

I still have my XS650 Special that I bought new! The XS1100 wasn't in my budget '79-'81. I was in the Marines, putting my money up for college. I paid the dealer $1795 for my brand new current year XS650SK.
                                Marty (in Mississippi)
                                XS1100SG
                                XS650SK
                                XS650SH
                                XS650G
                                XS6502F
                                XS650E

Comment

Working...
                                X