Tranny Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, correct.

Also, when reassembling, make sure clip #25 is nice and straight when installing, otherwise 2nd gear will not spin freely and may cause notchy shifting. It can be hammered straight on a vise anvil.
    Last edited by bikerphil; 02-07-2012, 04:13 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks, I just wanted to confirm I'm moving the right part.

One of the shift forks ( #1)has a few deep scrapes in it, I suspect from the loose circlip and washer I found in the oil pan. Luckily I have a spare.

1980G Tourer

Comment

The shift forks usually wear out like that from someone holding down the shifter trying to keep the tranny from slipping out of gear due to the worn dogs/slots.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

Comment

Undercut the gears but I think not enough?

1980G Tourer

Comment

I'd probably go a little more angle, and no rounded edges.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

U wanna hold that same angle grinding till it comes to the outer edge. Leave the edge squared at the end. ....Nate, that washer/circlip is what happens when it start jumpin' out of gear. Shift fork seems to drag on that shaft jerking it causing that circlip to come off. I'm sure that shift fork gets to slammin' back and forth pretty good ......tat....tat....tat....you could just imagine what's goin' on in there.....
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Did a regrind they look a lot better.

Question about the washer and circlip shown in the pic, the washer moves back/forth on the shaft, does it not lock down somehow?

1980G Tourer

Comment

That washer should be flat against 1st gear and the circlip holds it there by sitting in a groove in the countershaft. First gear is stationary on the countershaft, it only freewheels, it doesn't slide side to side. Once you have the countershaft and gears properly installed in the case, you'll see that that washer can't go anywhere.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

Comment

Nate, I have doen this repair more than a few times on at least four different engines. Two were pretty abused, and both of those had that circlip and washer in the oil pan. On one, the oil pump idler gear slid out and got chewed by the clutch gears....very ugly.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Thanks for all the input. Getting the gears and shift forks in place is a pain but it now shifts smoothly into 2nd gear
                      1980G Tourer

Comment

Working...
                      X