tach lens removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
    The clip where the alternator wires meet the wiring harness. Found behind the fusebox. known to melt and have other connection issues.
    ahhhh well when I've got the fuse box gutted to put in my T.C. fuse box I'll check it out
    Don
    1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
    1989 kawi ex500
    1996 yzf-r6
    1999 yzf-r1
    2001 kawi zx-6r
    2000 Ducati 748
    2002 YZF-R1
    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Three white wires and a yellow one if my memory is any good. The wires come up from the alternator and join the harness there. Usually if the connection is bad, there is everything from tach bouncing to fires. Mine was melted so bad I could not believe it did not start a fire. It can be as simple a fix as butt connecting the wires to as complcated as you like nut the connector is available as well as other fixes.
      2-79 XS1100 SF
      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

In my case, the jumpy tach was corroded connections on the PC board inside the tach itself. I had to disassemble the tach, clean/reheat the solder joints and that fixed it. YMMV
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
          . I would think to roll the edge back on installation a wood body dolly and small body hammer oughta do the trick to not blunder it too bad...

Ooooh no! You do not want to start hitting the thing with a hammer, even a small body hammer. The needle is old and plastic, and has seen a lot of sunlight, and you know what happens to plastic in the sun. And there are delicate internal workings that do not like harsh vibrations, even from small body hammers. Thats why they mounted the instruments in rubber bushings. Crimp it back with some padded pliers.
          CZ

Comment

There's been a couple of different methods posted for repairing these... there's a pretty decent trick fix with some big shrink tube linked in the last post of this thread: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...=speedo+repair

Somewhere there's a post (which I can't find) where the lister split the main housing (not disturbing the bezel) inside the outer shell on a 'sacrificial' gauge, and overlapped the two housings. You do need an extra gauge for this, but you do end up with a gauge that can now be disassembled easily. Good use for that 85mph unit you swapped out....

But it's nearly impossible to remove/reinstall the OEM bezel without leaving some trace of your work.
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
              Ooooh no! You do not want to start hitting the thing with a hammer, even a small body hammer. The needle is old and plastic, and has seen a lot of sunlight, and you know what happens to plastic in the sun. And there are delicate internal workings that do not like harsh vibrations, even from small body hammers. Thats why they mounted the instruments in rubber bushings. Crimp it back with some padded pliers.
              CZ
              point taken... We'll see if I get to taking it apart. Waiting on my LED's, No load flasher, and 5 into 4 wire conversion box to show so I can dig into my electrical project including a T.C. fuse box. I will for sure check out the alternator clip previously talked about while I've got the fuse box yarded out. then I can get started on the rest of my projects
              Don
              1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
              1989 kawi ex500
              1996 yzf-r6
              1999 yzf-r1
              2001 kawi zx-6r
              2000 Ducati 748
              2002 YZF-R1
              2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                There's been a couple of different methods posted for repairing these... there's a pretty decent trick fix with some big shrink tube linked in the last post of this thread: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...=speedo+repair

Somewhere there's a post (which I can't find) where the lister split the main housing (not disturbing the bezel) inside the outer shell on a 'sacrificial' gauge, and overlapped the two housings. You do need an extra gauge for this, but you do end up with a gauge that can now be disassembled easily. Good use for that 85mph unit you swapped out....

But it's nearly impossible to remove/reinstall the OEM bezel without leaving some trace of your work.
                who swapped out a 85 mph speedo. Mine came with a 160 from factory (atleast its been there as long as I can remember)
                Don

old:
                1989 kawi ex500
                1996 yzf-r6
                1999 yzf-r1
                2001 kawi zx-6r
                2000 Ducati 748
                2002 YZF-R1
                2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Hi Dragon,
                  what they all said; getting the glass on and off is not a job for the faint-hearted so lets hope the fluctuation is in the wiring, not the instrument.
                  But I know a trick to dry it out. Shove it in a vacuum chamber.
                  Sufficiently low air pressure drops the boiling point down to below ambient so the water droplets flash to steam which gets sucked away.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I have a good set of repair instructions. They're in PDF format. PHOTOBUCKET won't support them. Is there a way to post it here?

Here is the heat shrink bezel link:

http://xs650temp.proboards.com/index...5&page=1#39501
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Working...
                    X