Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tach lens removal

Hey fella's,

I've got some condensation that's has built up on the inside of my tach lens and the detest. I'd like to pull it apart and clean it. Before I go poking around and break something has anyone got an idea how to take it apart?

Also the needle likes to bounce around. Any idea how to fix that?

Thanks,

Don
    Don
    1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
    1989 kawi ex500
    1996 yzf-r6
    1999 yzf-r1
    2001 kawi zx-6r
    2000 Ducati 748
    2002 YZF-R1
    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

I second the question on tach bounce. Mine's pretty erratic, but seems to smooth out a bit at higher rpm's.
    My Special is as old as I am.

Comment

Ya mine likes to osolate between 4000-5000.
      Don
      1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
      1989 kawi ex500
      1996 yzf-r6
      1999 yzf-r1
      2001 kawi zx-6r
      2000 Ducati 748
      2002 YZF-R1
      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

As far as the condensation goes, take it out of the can and turn it upside down. You might want to pull a few lamps. The condensation will evaporate.

If you insist on dismantling it, there are a few ways to go about it. TC might have a tech tip on here as he had a full restoration on here. I had a set of instructions before my hard drive crashed. I may have it online some place. If you PM me your email address, I'll see if I can find it and email it to you.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

If the tach is bouncing around, make sure all the electrical connections are good; a poor connection on any of the three wires can cause that problem.

Getting either the speedo or tach apart is another issue; both are 'sealed' units and aren't meant to be disassembled. Not saying it can't done, but it's not easy. Search the forums, there's at least 2-3 threads with how-tos. There are a few outfits that can rebuild/restore them to like new, but expect to pay $150+ each.
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
            As far as the condensation goes, take it out of the can and turn it upside down. You might want to pull a few lamps. The condensation will evaporate.

If you insist on dismantling it, there are a few ways to go about it. TC might have a tech tip on here as he had a full restoration on here. I had a set of instructions before my hard drive crashed. I may have it online some place. If you PM me your email address, I'll see if I can find it and email it to you.
            The problem is that the condensation dried and left a foggy film on the inside of the lens. I'd like to take it apart and clean this off. If its a PITA then I won't worry too much about. Is rather have a filmy spot in my lens than an unoperational tach
            Don

old:
            1989 kawi ex500
            1996 yzf-r6
            1999 yzf-r1
            2001 kawi zx-6r
            2000 Ducati 748
            2002 YZF-R1
            2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

It amounts to prying or cutting the bezel off. It is likely that it will never look the same. Leave until it is really broken. Follow Steve's advice.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                It amounts to prying or cutting the bezel off. It is likely that it will never look the same. Leave until it is really broken. Follow Steve's advice.
                You'd be supprised, after taking a few apart, it is possible not to butcher them and they don't look too too bad. It's nice to have a bad practice guage for the first one though.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Hey Don,

The tech tip is in the repairs section, electrical or misc...the Forum tips, not sure if it got copied to the drop down techs, shows taking the tach apart by prying up the edge of the bezel from the backside. I should have used some better cushioning on the pliers when I recrimped it back on, but it's been there for several years now...still working okay, however the face plate is fading a bit! The needle is fairly delicate, so you'll just need to be careful once you get the bezel loose/off.

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks guys
                    Don

old:
                    1989 kawi ex500
                    1996 yzf-r6
                    1999 yzf-r1
                    2001 kawi zx-6r
                    2000 Ducati 748
                    2002 YZF-R1
                    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Here are a couple of suggestions. Take your time and it will turn out just fine. If not, I have a spare tach here with no home and a complete guage cluster with no home, yet. Can pretty much guarantee it will be cheaper than any you find on Flea-bay.
                      Do check the electrical connections for the wandering needle as that did fix mine.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31303

http://xs650temp.proboards.com/index...5&page=1#39501
                      2-79 XS1100 SF
                      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                        Hey Don,

The tech tip is in the repairs section, electrical or misc...the Forum tips, not sure if it got copied to the drop down techs, shows taking the tach apart by prying up the edge of the bezel from the backside. I should have used some better cushioning on the pliers when I recrimped it back on, but it's been there for several years now...still working okay, however the face plate is fading a bit! The needle is fairly delicate, so you'll just need to be careful once you get the bezel loose/off.

T.C.
                        thanks tc... it took a while but i found your tech tip and pictures...

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                        Here are a couple of suggestions. Take your time and it will turn out just fine. If not, I have a spare tach here with no home and a complete guage cluster with no home, yet. Can pretty much guarantee it will be cheaper than any you find on Flea-bay.
                        Do check the electrical connections for the wandering needle as that did fix mine.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31303

http://xs650temp.proboards.com/index...5&page=1#39501

Thanks Rasputin. It looks fairly easy to take the bezel off. I've got the same style pliers you were using. I would think to roll the edge back on installation a wood body dolly and small body hammer oughta do the trick to not blunder it too bad...
                        Don

old:
                        1989 kawi ex500
                        1996 yzf-r6
                        1999 yzf-r1
                        2001 kawi zx-6r
                        2000 Ducati 748
                        2002 YZF-R1
                        2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                          If the tach is bouncing around, make sure all the electrical connections are good; a poor connection on any of the three wires can cause that problem.
                          The tach gets its signal from the alternator and electrical clip behind the fuse panel. This is a known issue and if that is the problem, you will want to fix it soon before the clip melts! But maybe that isn't the source of the problem...
                          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                            The tach gets its signal from the alternator and electrical clip behind the fuse panel. This is a known issue and if that is the problem, you will want to fix it soon before the clip melts! But maybe that isn't the source of the problem...
                            Kinda leaving me hanging there buddy
                            How do you fix the clip? I'm not even what clip your referring too
                            Don

old:
                            1989 kawi ex500
                            1996 yzf-r6
                            1999 yzf-r1
                            2001 kawi zx-6r
                            2000 Ducati 748
                            2002 YZF-R1
                            2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

The clip where the alternator wires meet the wiring harness. Found behind the fusebox. known to melt and have other connection issues.
                              2-79 XS1100 SF
                              2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                              80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                              Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Working...
                              X