want some feed back on my project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• want some feed back on my project

these are pics of my 80 xs 1100 standard budget bobber project. i am doing all fab work myself in a little 8x10 shed. almost all of my parts i have gotten on ebay. So far I have about $500.00 invested, including the cost of the bike.

homemade tail light/ plate holder, cost me 25 bucks to make

my new carbs

I am looking for feed back either good or bad just want to get some opoinions, since this is my first project. I still have alot of work to do but i am happy with the progress so far. thanks for checking this out, and i look forward to hearing what everyone has to say.
    xs1100 hartail bobber

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/...-38-36_563.jpg

I'm curious as to what you started with. It looks like a special headlight, tank and brake rotors, but standard forks. The Carb tops look gold so those might have been off a midnight special. Have you checked your Vin to see exactly what you got? The 80's didn't normally come with the oil cooler, but it is a nice addition for some of the hot days we get down here.
    Cool looking, how's it ride? As you know, The roads here in the seven cities suck, so I hope you get a nice comfy seat.
    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
    The Green Monster
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
    Got him in '04.
    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
    Scarlet
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
    Got her in '11
    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
    Hugo
    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
    Cold weather ride

Comment

it started off as a standard, with a vetter front end, i changed out the tank for a special (liked the lines better than the standard), the headlight is aftermarket ( had to flip fork ears to get it to fit since it was smaller). The carbs are fj1100 carbs that have been jetted for the pod air filters and straight exhaust. Havent ridden it yet, still need to mount the seat (it will have two four inch shocks instead of springs), alot of wiring to do (it will all fit into the fake oil tank). I know about the roads since i travel from hampton to virginia beach every day for work, but i think with the seat shocks it should help out. this is basically what my bike looked like when i started.
      xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

I hear you about the commute, I go from the beach to Newport news everyday. My G is in dire need of some nicer parts. What have you got leftover? Funds are real tight right now, but I'm real interested in that fairing and bags.
        Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
        The Green Monster
        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
        Got him in '04.
        bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
        Scarlet
        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
        Got her in '11
        Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
        Hugo
        Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
        Cold weather ride

Comment

nice build

nicely done I like. Do you still have the standard tank and would you sell it?

Comment

Hi John,
            you put on a fake oil tank and plan on seat with shocks to compensate for the hardtail job?
            You are surely one who places style above substance, eh?
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

The pic of the complete bike wit fairing is not same year as yours. By the engine covers, rear peg/muffler brackets, oil cooler and several other tell-tale visials your bobber WAS an 81 Venturer which BTW was a ONE year only FACTORY produced full dress touring XS1100. Now it is what it is......... and needs mufflers and a front fender..........
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                Hi John,
                you put on a fake oil tank and plan on seat with shocks to compensate for the hardtail job?
                You are surely one who places style above substance, eh?
                I've seen a lot of fake oil tanks used as tool boxes, and with an oil cooler, could it have been modified as an oil holding tank??
                81 XS1100H

Comment

Oil cooler is a creative way to handle the wires. I like the look of it, but of course the functionality is in question if you want a true road bike. Its a bar hopper in my view.

Hard tail, low stance, will equal reduced handling capabilities. Recently a local fellow XSive who also has a Zuki V-twin went down becuase he tried to take a turn like he was on the XS11. The low stance of the Zuk caused the bike to contact the road to soon and down they went. So just be aware of the limitations.

From the looks aspect it is well done so far.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool View Post
                    I've seen a lot of fake oil tanks used as tool boxes, and with an oil cooler, could it have been modified as an oil holding tank??
                    Hi skool,
                    IMHO, a fake anything just adds useless weight. Like a Goldwing's fake gas tank, weld it up and put gas in it fer chrissake!
                    And if motoman is right and the lad really did trash a Venturer to create that expletive deleted thing he's building, let me be the first scavenger to ask; Hi John, what's the price on it's gas tank?
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I think you have the begining of something there. My old tired rear prefers a little suspension back there but each to his own. Carry on and keep up informed with your progression. Something new is always interesting and an inspiration for someone.
                      Can't beat the smell of gas & oil

Comment

was wrong about the year

I checked the vin on my bike and it is a 1981 xs1100H. I am glad that i am getting feedback on the bike. this site is one of the best sites i have ever vistited, i like the way everyone on here are willing to help and dont hold back there opinion. that is why i posted this. I know most of you dont really like what i am doing to this bike, but it was the only bike i could find that fit my budget (which is very little) to make the bike i wanted. these are great bikes the more i learn about them the more i like them.
                        xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

thanks

Originally posted by Lonerider62 View Post
                          I think you have the begining of something there. My old tired rear prefers a little suspension back there but each to his own. Carry on and keep up informed with your progression. Something new is always interesting and an inspiration for someone.
                          thanks for the comment
                          xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                            Hi skool,
                            IMHO, a fake anything just adds useless weight. Like a Goldwing's fake gas tank, weld it up and put gas in it fer chrissake!
                            And if motoman is right and the lad really did trash a Venturer to create that expletive deleted thing he's building, let me be the first scavenger to ask; Hi John, what's the price on it's gas tank?
                            ill post some pics of what i have, I was going to post everything on ebay but i would rather people on this site get them first.
                            xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
                              I hear you about the commute, I go from the beach to Newport news everyday. My G is in dire need of some nicer parts. What have you got leftover? Funds are real tight right now, but I'm real interested in that fairing and bags.
                              it didnt have bags on it when i got it, the pic was one that i found that looked closest to what mine looked like when i got it. I will post a pic of the fairing, just make me an offer.
                              xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

Working...
                              X