How to remove and install your Cam Chain Tensioner CCT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JasonRedbeard View Post
    Define "good oil." What's best for these bikes?

<hides behind couch to avoid thrown objects>
    I'm gonna put my helmet on real quick before I answer your question

I personally use good old Castrol 4T 20w-50. If they are out of that I'll use the Valvoline. Now my R1 gets Mobil1 racing 10w-40 only.... thats what its got since its birth. I'm not gonna tell you they are the best out there. All I'm saying is thats what I use. It hasn't let me down yet in any powersports machine I've owned.
    Don
    1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
    1989 kawi ex500
    1996 yzf-r6
    1999 yzf-r1
    2001 kawi zx-6r
    2000 Ducati 748
    2002 YZF-R1
    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Something...

...that may be worth mentioning is the DIRECTION of ROTATION for the "less experienced", which is denoted by the arrow on the timing plate under the left side cover (shift side). Only turn the engine CLOCKWISE in order to have all slack in the cam chain at the tensioner area so that it, the slack, will be eliminated with the adjustment or replacement of the CCT, but we all knew that
      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
        ...that may be worth mentioning is the DIRECTION of ROTATION for the "less experienced", which is denoted by the arrow on the timing plate under the left side cover (shift side). Only turn the engine CLOCKWISE in order to have all slack in the cam chain at the tensioner area so that it, the slack, will be eliminated with the adjustment or replacement of the CCT, but we all knew that
        +1 good point
        Don
        1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
        1989 kawi ex500
        1996 yzf-r6
        1999 yzf-r1
        2001 kawi zx-6r
        2000 Ducati 748
        2002 YZF-R1
        2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Good stuff

No, thats good stuff to mention as the bikes turn backwards from most to help controll the shaft drive. Also, no matter how you change the CCT, how worn the chain is can effect the end result With tension on the chain from following the CCt adjustment, "IF" the chain has too much wear, it could slip off the crank But, what the hell, doner motors are everywhere

1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
          1980 XS1100 Special
          1990 V Max
          1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
          1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
          1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
          1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
          1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
            No, thats good stuff to mention as the bikes turn backwards from most to help controll the shaft drive.)
            good to mention rotational direction.......last part not true. That direction of rotation in part was chosen by Yammy engineers as they considered torque directional which susposedly directed that torque internally directionally to the rear, not forward. That all may have been part of getting the most out of a streetable bike that all could ride, and still have the worlds quickest production scoot at that time.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

There may be another reason for the backwards rotation. The torque developed by an engine generates countertorque on the engine's mountings in the opposite direction that the crankshaft rotates. This means that when you crank the throttle and the bike starts to lift, the countertorque of the engine is trying to push the nose back DOWN, helping to keep your front wheel on the ground. Coincidence? Surely not.
              Last edited by JasonRedbeard; 01-23-2012, 12:12 AM.
              My Special is as old as I am.

Comment

Well golly

Well, someone keeps deleting my post, so I dont know if this will get through. Yamaha spun the motor backward to compensate for the drive shaft action, look it up if you like
                Originally posted by motoman View Post
                good to mention rotational direction.......last part not true. That direction of rotation in part was chosen by Yammy engineers as they considered torque directional which susposedly directed that torque internally directionally to the rear, not forward. That all may have been part of getting the most out of a streetable bike that all could ride, and still have the worlds quickest production scoot at that time.
                1980 XS1100 Special
                1990 V Max
                1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
                  No, thats good stuff to mention as the bikes turn backwards from most to help controll the shaft drive. Also, no matter how you change the CCT, how worn the chain is can effect the end result With tension on the chain from following the CCt adjustment, "IF" the chain has too much wear, it could slip off the crank But, what the hell, doner motors are everywhere
                  OME, In the Clymers it simply states: "The cam chain should be adjusted every 3,000 miles (4,800km) or when it becomes noisy." I'm contemplating how to calculate when a CC is stretched to its max limit while using the ACCT. Should we go by mileage? Is there anyone, who wore out their cam chain, that can testify to what milage that is or will that be too broad of a spectrum as every engine is not treated equally? The stock CCT's length would give us an indication if removed with set screw in locked position and if fully extended and "it becomes noisy" one might want to remove and replace the cam chain with a new one. But how are we going to know that limit with the constant push of the ACCT? Would it make sense to keep the stock CCT in the tool box, fully extended and locked as sort of a dipstick for this measurement at certain milage intervals? ie...Remove ACCT every 10,000 miles and check depth with stock CCT, log measurement in maintaince record and reinstall ACCT repeat every 10,00 miles till full depth of stock "dipstick" is reached and then replace the cam chain. JAT

Originally posted by JasonRedbeard View Post
                  There may be another reason for the backwards rotation. The torque developed by an engine generates countertorque on the engine's mountings in the opposite direction that the crankshaft rotates. This means that when you crank the throttle and the bike starts to lift, the countertorque of the engine is trying to push the nose back DOWN, helping to keep your front wheel on the ground. Coincidence? Surely not.
                  I agree
                  1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                  1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                  1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                  1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                  1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Cool

I would say, if adding a auto CCT to your bike and when removing the OEM CCT and it is almost extended to its max, add a new timeing chain to the mod If it is only half way out or less, install the new CCT and ride, the next valve adjustment, replace the cain just for JIC, or at least the 2nd time you adjust the valves, but hey, it is your motor, might run forever with just gas and oil

OME, In the Clymers it simply states: "The cam chain should be adjusted every 3,000 miles (4,800km) or when it becomes noisy." I'm contemplating how to calculate when a CC is stretched to its max limit while using the ACCT. Should we go by mileage? Is there anyone, who wore out their cam chain, that can testify to what milage that is or will that be too broad of a spectrum as every engine is not treated equally? The stock CCT's length would give us an indication if removed with set screw in locked position and if fully extended and "it becomes noisy" one might want to remove and replace the cam chain with a new one. But how are we going to know that limit with the constant push of the ACCT? Would it make sense to keep the stock CCT in the tool box, fully extended and locked as sort of a dipstick for this measurement at certain milage intervals? ie...Remove ACCT every 10,000 miles and check depth with stock CCT, log measurement in maintaince record and reinstall ACCT repeat every 10,00 miles till full depth of stock "dipstick" is reached and then replace the cam chain. JAT

I agree
                    1980 XS1100 Special
                    1990 V Max
                    1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                    1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

The oil that is the most slickery without screwing up my clutch.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                        The oil that is the most slickery without screwing up my clutch.
                        I like that oil... where do you find it?
                        Don

old:
                        1989 kawi ex500
                        1996 yzf-r6
                        1999 yzf-r1
                        2001 kawi zx-6r
                        2000 Ducati 748
                        2002 YZF-R1
                        2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Working...
                        X