How to remove and install your Cam Chain Tensioner CCT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1

+1, my thought was is it a bad thing to use an auto cct on a bike that was never ment to have one as, "if" they do move in more, do you run the risk of over streaching the stock chain to the point of failure before you know it needs replaced

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
    I can only speak from years of Automotive experience but I would think the same apply's to bikes... Even auto adjusters are limited to stretch limitations. In an overhead cam auto motor the self adjuster has a stopping point for 2 reasons.

1 if the chain is pushed 2 far inside it can contact the interior of the cylinder head.

2 too much angle on the chain can put stress on the cam and cam bearings causing premature failure.
    1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
    1980 XS1100 Special
    1990 V Max
    1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
    1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
    1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
    1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
    1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

I know 1 think about making old things better... about 10 years ago a circle track racer decided to invent a chain tensioning device for the timing chain of a small black chevy. In theory this sounds great! you get the tight timing tolerances of a gear drive without the harmonics and gear drag.

it went off like a wild fire... everyone wanted one. then everyone started having problems with the thrust in the cranks and premature bearing wear... WHY? the extra stress and angle on the chain caused it to stretch way faster than it was designed for @ the rpm it was running. sometimes good intentions don't last as long as designed. when you reinvent the wheel it will still come out round.

I love the idea of an auto adjuster... I may get one. if I do I'll put a new chain in the mess to make sure I'm not putting a bandaid on a bullet wound. just my .02 take it with a grain of salt... I'm still pissy my Bengals lost today
      Don
      1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
      1989 kawi ex500
      1996 yzf-r6
      1999 yzf-r1
      2001 kawi zx-6r
      2000 Ducati 748
      2002 YZF-R1
      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

I'm going to be real sick to my stomach!
        I did not know about all this when I swapped to an ACCT. I just pulled out the original and stuck the ACCT in. I think I have put a couple of hundred miles on it since, i'll check maybe I logged the mileage when I did it. Did I luck out or should I pull things apart and check for damage before any further riding.
        BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Yep, I've lucked out a few times too before I knew the procedure. One time I wasn't so lucky, had to learn how to replace bent valves.

If the bike runs normal you should be ok.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Miles

Thanks TC, about how many miles are the chains good for under normal operation Got 18k on mine and adjusted tight last adjustment
            Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
            Hey Lon and Dragon,

If folks have been doing CCT adjustments for years/ 10K+ miles, then they may not know/realize how much slack has developed in their chain. The way to figure out if the chain is at or close to it's stretch limit is when they take the CCT out with the plunger lock bolt still in place, so that they can see how far the plunger already is protruding out towards the chain...perhaps even measure this. Then release the lock bolt and see how much farther the plunger can come out towards the chain before it stops. If it doesn't come out very much farther, then their chain is reaching it's stretch limit, and replacement time is near.

So...now after learning about how much stretch has occured, they can put the CCT back in. Yes, I would suggest the valve cover off, bungie cord pulling up on the chain BEFORE they remove the CCT, and have wrench ready to rotate the exhaust cam slightly towards the intake cam as they loosen the CCT bolts so that they can take up any unknown amount of slack prior to fully removing the CCT so that there won't be an excess amount of slack chain that could drop down around the crank sprocket skipping a tooth or coming off the sprocket.

The other problem is when putting the CCT back in....IF there's a fair amount of slack in the chain...after installing the CCT to the engine...again to prevent too much slack chain from dropping they would need to release the plunger lock bolt PRIOR to rotating the exhaust cam back to allow the slack to return to the front section of the chain instead of in between the cam sprockets. SO...they won't be able to experienc the "AUDIBLE CLICK" noise, will just need to rely on the plunger spring to provide the tension to take up the slack.

Then lock the plunger bolt, this is where I would then suggest a couple of more rotations of the crank/cams just like when preparing to peform the CCT adjustment again stopping on "C", then reloosen the plunger bolt to allow it to take up any more found slack from the rotation, then relock and set the lock nut as well.

Wish I was retired so that I could contribute a lot more time towards putting together a bunch of tech tips that have been developed in the threads over the last several years! Was waiting for the "cold" weather to hit here in Virginia...but was out today in short sleaves pulling down Christmas decorations and such!

T.C.
            1980 XS1100 Special
            1990 V Max
            1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
            1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
            1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Originally posted by Nubian View Post
              I did not know about all this when I swapped to an ACCT. I just pulled out the original and stuck the ACCT in. I think I have put a couple of hundred miles on it since, i'll check maybe I logged the mileage when I did it. Did I luck out or should I pull things apart and check for damage before any further riding.
              If you haven't had any problem up til now, you won't...

There's a big difference in how the OEM and 'auto' CCTs work. With the stock one it is critical to have the crank/cams turned to the 'C' mark as that position puts all slack in the chain on the CCT side of the chain. As the stock one doesn't move after you've adjusted it (the spring takes out the available slack, then you 'lock' it with the bolt), you have to make sure you get it all. The auto units apply pressure at all times (with the ratchet preventing loosening), so as soon as the motor has turned one revolution it will have tightened properly. You still want to make sure that most of the slack is on the CCT side when installing the ACCT (by simply turning the crank until the cams move), but actual position isn't as important...
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Lucked out

You lucked out, take a breath and have a strong drink. Even though you didn't have the came chain in the right position, with the auto CCT as soon as you cranked it over, it took up the slack automaticly If you had skipped a tooth, you realy would be sick and not just thinking about being sick as you would be looking for a doner motor, an Angel was on your shoulder my friend

1980 XS1100 Special
                1990 V Max
                1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

OEM my bike has 41k on the clock and the PO said it had never had any internal parts replaced. I installed my auto-CCT today and had the valve cover off to check valves. My timing marks still line up perfectly, so I can only assume that the chain has stretched little if at all.
                  My Special is as old as I am.

Comment

Thanks

thanks, my bike has 18k and has been adult ridden sense new (adult means "DOG" or durty old geasser) Mine is tight and works, just dont want to waite till the next Gremlin raises it ugly head
                    Originally posted by JasonRedbeard View Post
                    OEM my bike has 41k on the clock and the PO said it had never had any internal parts replaced. I installed my auto-CCT today and had the valve cover off to check valves. My timing marks still line up perfectly, so I can only assume that the chain has stretched little if at all.
                    1980 XS1100 Special
                    1990 V Max
                    1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                    1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

Steppenwolf just replaced his cam chain for the first time a couple years ago. Had 80,000 miles or so on it.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Got 46k on "Old Man" chain has very little stretch.... It's all about maintenance.
                        Don
                        1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                        1989 kawi ex500
                        1996 yzf-r6
                        1999 yzf-r1
                        2001 kawi zx-6r
                        2000 Ducati 748
                        2002 YZF-R1
                        2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

It's the new oil thread!
                          Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
                            Got 46k on "Old Man" chain has very little stretch.... It's all about maintenance.
                            How do you maintain a cam chain? What can you do that can specifically help maintain a cam chain, regular oil change maybe?
                            Last edited by Nubian; 01-22-2012, 03:33 PM.
                            BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

How do you maintain a cam chain? What can you do that can specifically help maintain a cam chain, regular oil change maybe?
                              Good oil, changed regularly... Chain tensioner adjusted correctly... Valves adjusted correctly. Heat and slop is the enemy of chains.
                              Don

old:
                              1989 kawi ex500
                              1996 yzf-r6
                              1999 yzf-r1
                              2001 kawi zx-6r
                              2000 Ducati 748
                              2002 YZF-R1
                              2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI
                                It's the new oil thread!
                                Originally posted by ddragon63
                                Good oil, changed regularly...
                                Define "good oil." What's best for these bikes?

<hides behind couch to avoid thrown objects>
                                My Special is as old as I am.

Comment

Working...
                                X