Spray nine to bath carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spray nine to bath carbs

I'm making an ultrasonic cleaner and wondering if I could get some opinions on what to use in it. My main use is for my carbs but I'll likely clean my cylinder head as well. Would it be damaging to my seals or other rubber parts?

How

How do u make an ultrasonic cleaner?

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

check this out, It's pretty simple, but cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EH6a...8EC185D34B97C7

Comment

Before I looked at the vid I was pretty amused. I like thinking out side of the box. This certainly fits. I'm intrigued. Thanks. Jury's out on this one.
        79SF
        XJ11
        78E

Comment

For the solution to use I still love the Yam Carb Cleaner that mixes with gas. It is flammable so watch out there. Maybe add an aquarium pump to the passageways . Love it.
          79SF
          XJ11
          78E

Comment

i tried something similar sitting a bucket
            on top of my bench grinder, it agitated the fluid,
            but didnt really clean anything.
            if u try it with the sander let us know how u go.
            pete

new owner of
            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
            1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
            zrx carbs
            18mm float height
            145 main jets
            38 pilots
            slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
            fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Cant say I would go with a sander bunged to a plastic tub.It could be the start of an idea.
              79SF
              XJ11
              78E

Comment

Spa

I have an idea now for SWMBO's spa!

John
                John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Dont want to pour rain on your parade, but that aint no utrasonic cleaner. Its a vibrating cleaner at best.. A typical Ultrasonic cleaner uses Ultrasound that oscilates at a frequency somewhere between 20 to 400khz, thats kilohertz. The sander will be lucky to achieve 100 hertz of mechanical vibration. Your washing machine will probably do a better job.
                  1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                  2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Simple agitation will increase the chemical reaction speed and reduce the time needed for cleaning but to get ture ultra-sonic cleaning, the vibrations have to be very high, as in a cleaner used for jewelry or contacts which will break up very fine particles. When trying to clean things like carbs or other metalic parts, I'm not sure if ayone has ever compared the effectiveness of an ultrasonice cleaner to a much slower machine. I know a guy who cleans his pistols with an ultrasonic machine and swears by it. He's the pickiest old fart I know and he says the best thing is it gets into places you'll never get with conventional cleaning tools.
                    Can't beat the smell of gas & oil

Comment

My question isn't regarding how well the sander and tub will work, but what cleaning solution to use. I know it's not near as good as an actual ultrasonic, but I'm not going to fork out that kind of money. I just don't want to ruin any seals or aluminum passageways.

Comment

Ultra sonic cleaning is a lot more complicated then that. If you were to take any of those parts that were cleaned in that tub and put them in a true ultra sonic cleaner you would soon see why. Ultra sonic cleaning involves creating microscopic bubbles in the right frequency range at higher sustained temperatures to work properly. Cleaners designed for use in ultra sonic cleaners are also different. They are made to allow the bubbles to be created in the right frequency range at the right size and last for the right amount of time to do the cleaning job. They contain wetting agents, cleaners, stabilizers etc.
                        What you wee in the video is intresting but not going to do nearly as good a job as a ultra sonic cleaner.
                        Rob
                        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                        1978 XS500E
                        1979 XS1100F Restored
                        1980 XS1100 SG
                        1981 Suzuki GS1100
                        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Originally posted by YamaRule View Post
                          My question isn't regarding how well the sander and tub will work, but what cleaning solution to use. I know it's not near as good as an actual ultrasonic, but I'm not going to fork out that kind of money. I just don't want to ruin any seals or aluminum passageways.
                          Ultra sonic cleaning will not alter the surfaces if the machine is used as intended with the right type cleaner for the parts in it at the right temperature for the right length of time. In a home made tub like that ... your on your own.
                          Rob
                          KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                          1978 XS500E
                          1979 XS1100F Restored
                          1980 XS1100 SG
                          1981 Suzuki GS1100
                          1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

How about this:

Filled with this:

Heat ought to help, don't you think?
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

I would never circulate flammable fluids by using an aquarium pump. You would be risking fire or electrocution if the internals are not made for it.
                              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                              X