sticky carb float

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sticky carb float

i'll be riding along all of sudden spit sputter gas pouring out of no.1 carb. stop tap it a few times and on my way. what do i need to look for when i take the bowl off? thanks.

Just a wild guess here, but I'd guess you don't have inline filters or if you do that you have double walled automotive fuel line rather than the thin walled MC specific stuff or tygon. This will allow crud from the tank (if no inline filters) or pieces that come off the inside of the fuel line to work their way into the needle valve and keep it from closing. Tapping it with a hammer or something will force the foreign object back up the fuel line or force it on through so the needle valve can close.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
      Just a wild guess here, but I'd guess you don't have inline filters or if you do that you have double walled automotive fuel line rather than the thin walled MC specific stuff or tygon. This will allow crud from the tank (if no inline filters) or pieces that come off the inside of the fuel line to work their way into the needle valve and keep it from closing. Tapping it with a hammer or something will force the foreign object back up the fuel line or force it on through so the needle valve can close.
      Didn't know that Mc fuel line was diff from auto
      81 XS1100H

Comment

If it has happened more then once, I will bet the float is dropping to low and jamming in place. When you tap it, it comes loose till it drops to low again and sticks. I would check the stop that keeps it from droping down into the bowl, it only need to just open the needle then stop to work right (had this prob just a few month ago, pulled my hair out till I found the prob thanks to Phill) I would also make sure the float post dont have any burs on them, a quick smoothing with an emery bord will do, good luck with your bike, and change the oil if it flooded that bad, dont want to spin a bearing

Originally posted by bcknblkbird View Post
        i'll be riding along all of sudden spit sputter gas pouring out of no.1 carb. stop tap it a few times and on my way. what do i need to look for when i take the bowl off? thanks.
        1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
        1980 XS1100 Special
        1990 V Max
        1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
        1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
        1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
        1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
        1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool View Post
          Didn't know that Mc fuel line was diff from auto
          Yep, automotive fuel line is double layer with a reinforcing layer to handle pressure as automotive fuel systems are pressurized. Bike systems (at least on older bikes) use single wall stuff that is not reinforced because it's not pressurized. The double wall stuff tends to flake pieces off when you push it onto the fittings and those pieces can get stuck in the needle valve and hold it open. This is why using automotive double wall type stuff is usually a BAD idea.

Tygon is a good choice because it last long and won't flake off as well, but it can be a bit pricey.
          Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Spade Fuse Box
          750 FD Mod
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
            If it has happened more then once, I will bet the float is dropping to low and jamming in place. When you tap it, it comes loose till it drops to low again and sticks. I would check the stop that keeps it from droping down into the bowl, it only need to just open the needle then stop to work right (had this prob just a few month ago, pulled my hair out till I found the prob thanks to Phill) I would also make sure the float post dont have any burs on them, a quick smoothing with an emery bord will do, good luck with your bike, and change the oil if it flooded that bad, dont want to spin a bearing
            That would be almost impossible going down the road unless it was also sticking in the up position until the fuel level was getting low as under normal operating conditions unless there is a blockage the fuel level can only drop a VERY small amount. The jammed down issue usually happens either if you run out of gas or if the bike has sat for a while as the fuel level in the carb bowl has to drop significantly for it to happen. Happening going down the road is almost always foreign material getting stuck in the needle valve, either rust or pieces of fuel line.
            Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Spade Fuse Box
            750 FD Mod
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Moron

Once again, I am a Moron Phill helped me with a float stuck problem and I thank him, I bow down to all the more intelagent posters Just trying to help, forgive my stupid thought

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
              That would be almost impossible going down the road unless it was also sticking in the up position until the fuel level was getting low as under normal operating conditions unless there is a blockage the fuel level can only drop a VERY small amount. The jammed down issue usually happens either if you run out of gas or if the bike has sat for a while as the fuel level in the carb bowl has to drop significantly for it to happen. Happening going down the road is almost always foreign material getting stuck in the needle valve, either rust or pieces of fuel line.
              1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
              1980 XS1100 Special
              1990 V Max
              1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
              1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
              1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
              1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
              1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Working...
              X