Help!! Broke down south of Lincoln, OR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!! Broke down south of Lincoln, OR

Hi techies, Driving from BC Canada to "Beloved" festival in Tidewater OR, I lost all ignition all of a sudden, stonedead. Checked fuses OK, checked to see if voltage arrived on tci box, Ok, ignition lights remain on.Looks like tci box to me, otherwise if it was coils it would fire on 2 cyl, right? It is my xs1100 standart. I tried to open t I box in despair and broke it . I am so f&$led. Any opinions on my diagnostics? Any tci boxes available? Any input at all? Discouraged, hoping for some input.
    80 1100SG with 79 engine
    79 1100F being restored
    78 xs650 runabout (mpg, eh?)
    Irreverence is the champion of liberty and its only sure defense

Did you check your pick up coils? Push and pull a little bit on the wires to see if you can get it started.

Ozz
    Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
    Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
    Pod Filters
    DynoJet Kit
    T.C.'s Fuse Block
    Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
    Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
    V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Originally posted by jurgenkoppen View Post
      Hi techies, Driving from BC Canada to "Beloved" festival in Tidewater OR, I lost all ignition all of a sudden, stonedead. Checked fuses OK, checked to see if voltage arrived on tci box, Ok, ignition lights remain on.Looks like tci box to me, otherwise if it was coils it would fire on 2 cyl, right? It is my xs1100 standart. I tried to open t I box in despair and broke it . I am so f&$led. Any opinions on my diagnostics? Any tci boxes available? Any input at all? Discouraged, hoping for some input.
      Hi Jurgen,
      OK, it was probably something simple but now that you have busted your TCI you are screwed for a quick fix.
      So how far did you get?
      Park the bike someplace reasonably safe. Absent someone local with a spare TCI:-
      If more than 1/2 way, hitch to festival and get sorted later.
      If less than 1/2 way, abandon festival, hitch home and borrow a pickup truck.
      Last edited by fredintoon; 08-12-2011, 04:42 PM.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

SWMBO's 'H died like this a while back when we were on our way home from Vernon. It turned out to be a multiple failure of the pick-up coil wires, but not inside the engine case. It was back around the driver's footpeg where the wire bundle passes along the engine before it routes its way up to a plug connector behind the fuse box. I pulled the wire from a clip style retainer, and found a melted, semi-charred mass of copper and plastic. On the roadsire, I was able to get enough slack to cut the fused mess completely out, bare and twist the appropriate wires together, give each connection a bit of black tape, and ride home.

Hope yours is as simple as ours was.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

I'm not sure how to contact him, but I think that Geezer is in that area somewhere. It's a little bit further than I am able to provide physical assistance to unfortunately or I would come out to assist.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Poprock is close too. Got friends in Newport south of Lincoln City. Somebody call me if I can help. No parts available though. I have Geezer's #.
            503-842-0077
            1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Well, he hasn't updated since his first post so I would guess it's handled.

Would be nice to know though.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Curious

As a shot in the dark, being a 79, and on the west coast (wet), if his ballast resister crapped out, it would die all of a sudden wouldn't it?
                mack
                79 XS 1100 SF Special
                HERMES
                original owner
                http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                SPICA
                http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                IOTA
                https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                Frankford, Ont, Canada
                613-398-6186

Comment

Originally posted by mack View Post
                  As a shot in the dark, being a 79, and on the west coast (wet), if his ballast resister crapped out, it would die all of a sudden wouldn't it?
                  Possibly, same thing happened to me years ago. Turned out to be a shagged spade connector on the resistor. (i bridged it out with a strip connector on the side of the road (in the rain) to get me where i was going and it's still bridged out to this day, on standard coils)

However his larger problem now is the damaged TCI. Not quite so easy to deal with on the side of the road...
                  1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                  2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Yo, brothers

I just got the tci unit via courier from super Dave in langeley bc. I went to the festival after I ordered the part , hence I was out of wifi range . Thank you all for your input, in about one hour I will know if the tci will fix it. If not iwill us your other leads. "Beloved" festival was simply heavenly, very sweet energy, a bit of a chickflick of a festival . So I feel well nurtured now by you and all the kind hippie chicks. You all rock . More in a few hours
                    80 1100SG with 79 engine
                    79 1100F being restored

Comment

Up 'n runnin...

Yo, good people. It was the tci . Plugged in the 'new' one, and she is purrin like the proverbial pussy. Thank you all again, it is good to be connected to folks who care . . PS: I'm sort of glad my destruction of the old tci was not destroying a good part. Makes me feel slightly less goofy. Rockin on...
                      80 1100SG with 79 engine
                      79 1100F being restored

Comment

Glad you found the problem. Have a safe ride home.
                        Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
                        Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
                        Pod Filters
                        DynoJet Kit
                        T.C.'s Fuse Block
                        Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
                        Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
                        V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

That's good news. Woulda waved when you went by Tillamook if I'd known when. Have a great trip home. The weather is sweet right now. Say "Hey" when you head south again.
                          1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Working...
                          X