No announcement yet.

Pictures and videos of my fuel injected 1978 XS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcocks? Where we're going, there are no roads...err..petcocks..err What I mean to say is the route I am trying is elimating the buggers completely. I just purchased a spare tank off good ole' ebay so soon I can go monster garage on my gas tank, sealing off the petcock holes and adding a GSXR fuel pump fitting. It's going to be interesting trying to make that pump fit correctly without ever seeing a gixxer tank first hand.

Still hoping to make it to the blessing with FI running and maybe even a decent paintjob.
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Injection Pressure

Does anyone know what fuel pressure the GSXR injectors need?

Comment

Mine currently runs on about 43PSI.
        Home of ENIAC

Kinda like a MANIAC with 2 letters difference & a computer on board

Comment

How are you getting the 43 psi? I have been looking at the motorcycle efi pumps on E-Bay and they are all in-tank mounts that probably not work on an XS11. These pumps must bypass right back into the tank in order to maintain a constant pressure.

Comment

I've updated the pictures on http://bilbo.gotdns.org.

Dan
            Home of ENIAC

Comment

Heya linuxdude.... hehe
              I had a 85 GPz 600R (ZX600R in the US), sold it and bought the 78E...

Almost like when I met a guy on a 86 MZ (same as mine then) that said he had another bike... a 84 guzzi 350 (same as mine then) hehe....

Anyhoo... pics

LP
              If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
              (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

strom, nice! I love to see bikes inside a house. Wow, that Guzzi looks very sporty. GPZ is a fun ride, but the XS has torque in spades :-)

Dan
                Home of ENIAC

Comment

Hey linix,
                  I read on the mega squirt forum that you've got the bike running how about an update or summary of what you did.

To Snow
                  How is your project progressing?

Comment

Yep, bike is now running and I have put over 100 miles on the fuel injection. I'm working on getting her tuned up correctly right now, and I know that I'm a fair bit off but she still runs really good. She ran really pretty good off the default fuel map, then I changed it, she ran worse, than I changed it some more, and then more, and now she runs pretty good. Not perfect yet, but getting there. She'll jerk the front wheel off the ground in first if you hammer the throttle. Not really high, only a couple of inches or so. She'll also do that on the first to second shift, but she did that before the injection. One thing that stands out is the throttle response, it's noticeably better than with the carbs.

Man, it was a lot of work. I don't know if I'd do it again....I probably would, considering what I've learned. I think I could do it a second time alot easier. I'd definately try to do an intank fuel pump; that would simplifiy all the plumbing a great deal.

Cool thing now is that I can "change the jetting" in a matter of seconds, no carb removal required.

I've got new front and rear brake pads on the way now, as well as progressive fork springs and progressive rear shocks. I'd still like to upgrade the headlight to something a bit brighter.

Anyone know where I can get a more comfy seat and a back rest? I'd like a more relaxed riding position; at 70 the wind is pushing so hard if feels like I'm getting blown off the bike.

Also, since I've upgraded my master cylinder and brake lines, I've started to notice a pulsation like the rotors are warped. Can these be turned, or are they junk?

My website is down right now but it will be back up soon. Take care and safe riding!

Dan
                    Home of ENIAC

Comment

Rotors can't be turned by most shops due to their nickel-chrome composition. They can be surface-ground by a good machine shop, but there is very liitle thickness margin from the factory specs. Best bet is to find a good used set (Some other models, including Seca 750, used the same rotors) or replace with new ($200.00 each) rotors. Do a search on rotors to find a full cross-reference. Merriam Cycle was selling floating rotors, Brembo units are available through Zanotti Motors. XS and XJ rotors (front) are interchangeable but the XJ and '81 XS use slotted rotors that are designated left-hand or right-hand. If you use these make sure they are mounted on the corect sides. Price for a used set runs $50 - $75 typically, slotted style may be a bit more.
                      Jerry Fields
                      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                      '06 Concours
                      My Galleries Page.
                      My Blog Page.
                      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

where did you get the tach signal from and where did you mount the temp sensor?
                        Shawn
                        78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
                        78 XS1100E Parts
                        www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

tach signal come from one of the leads coming off the ignitor that goes to one of the coils. Currently the temp sensor is coming from a GM style coolant temp sensor that I have put down in the head near a spark plug. The sensor is just sitting on the head, held in place by gravity. I've yet to decide how it should be permanetly mounted.

Dan
                          Home of ENIAC

Comment

I thougt about puttung the temp sensor on the back side of the head(out of air flow) and using some thing to hold it to the fins or trim the fins so it sets on flat metal and use some sort of epoxy that will transfer heat.. it was my thought on the temp sensor
                            Shawn
                            78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
                            78 XS1100E Parts
                            www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

I haven't had a chance to do much more with my project lately in between school, work, and completely losing spark a few weeks ago.

The good news is that I now have a brand new bike for a daily driver and can actually spare the XS down-time to do what I really need to do on the XS11...now...if only I had the money and space to do it!

It was actually kinda funny (in a son of a b**** kind of way) when I lost spark. I was on the way to drop off the XS at my parent's garage (I don't have a garage) and pick up my new bike and I guess "Maya" figured it out. Half way there and about 4 miles short, she just completely died on me. After being outside for about an hour expecting to just be out on a 10 minute ride (and in full gear), I gave up trouble shooting when I found I had no spark.
                              Well, apparently there are some tow-trucks that can tow bikes on the back bar believe it or not.
                              Maya is still sitting where I left her in the garage - I'm letting her think about what she has done!

Btw, I do have an idea about the temp sensor - something to do about a rectangular liquid container filled with straight coolant or at least 50/50 mix that would mount between cooling fins on the head.
                              Last edited by Snow; 04-24-2004, 07:41 PM.
                              1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                              1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                              http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Snow wrote:
                                Btw, I do have an idea about the temp sensor - something to do about a rectangular liquid container filled with straight coolant or at least 50/50 mix that would mount between cooling fins on the head.
                                On air cooled aircraft engines, cylinder head temperature (CHT) is measured by a probe that mounts under a spark plug.

Chief Aircraft - Alcor Probes

A few years ago XSive Gary LaPook of (also an Instructor Pilot) mounted one on his 1980 XS11 Standard and said it worked well. FWIW...

Happy Motoring!
                                Bill K.
                                1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
                                1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

Working...
                                X