Pictures and videos of my fuel injected 1978 XS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't find site

I have been trying to take a look at your pictures and video but I can't get there from here. Any suggestions?

Comment

my site is down at the moment...there's something wrong with my isp.

I'll post on here as soon as it's back up.

Dan
      Home of ENIAC

Kinda like a MANIAC with 2 letters difference & a computer on board

Comment

Dan, what did you do with the outer throttle butterflies? Did you lock them open, or remove them altogether? I know that the Megasquirt has no way of controlling a stepper motor.

John
        82 XJ1100J
        "eXJunk"
        Logansport, IN

Comment

My site is back online: http://bilbo.gotdns.org

I pulled the throttle butterflies out and epoxied the holes.

Dan
          Home of ENIAC

Comment

Hey Dan,
            Did you deviate from the MegaSquirt assembly instructions at all? I've got mine completed except for the two FET drivers which are still with FedEx. I jumpered the Zener diode. Too bad I forgot to order the components for the MegaStim, but now they are on the way also.

Also, what did you do about the endplates for the case, did you cut them out somehow or have them cut somewhere?

Pete
            Last edited by Snow; 12-22-2003, 07:47 AM.
            1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
            1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
            http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Geez.... I leave the board for a month or two and blam - out comes a fuel-injection discussion. This is absolutely great. You guys just keep coming up with stuff like this and I'll NEVER sell my XS. I'll just milk it along and do a little hear and there over the years and perhaps have a big bore FI beast.

I hope this project turns out a complete procedure so that the rookies (me) can follow it. I'm no stranger to electronics, soldering, and computers, but I don't know enough about FI. So if someone has the instructions and parts lists and we hear about performance and testing, this project would be a future no-brainer.

We've all been worrying about the problematic vacuum diaphram assemblies and this just replaces the whole mess.

I'll be eagerly awaiting MPG and performance results and waiting for a few to do the conversion. I hope someone will do this on a big bore kit because my XS will need one.

Ben
              1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
              1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
              1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
              1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
              1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
              1982 XS650
              1980 XS1100g
              1979 XS1100sf
              1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

snow: I didn't deviate from the build instructions. To build the endplate I just used a drill (could have been cleaner, like with a mill, but I didn't have the equipment to do that.

ae7f: as far as the big bore kit is concerned, snow has one and he just built his FI computer.

Megasquirt is going to be in next month's car craft (I've read the article), but they did kind of a crappy comparison. They compared a carb on top of a good single plane manifold against a factory GM TPI manifold. The single plane made lots more HP (normal). Overall they praised the MegaSquirt - there's chatter on the MegaSquirt list that this article will generate quite a bit more traffic. More people using it means more people to contribute.

The next version of MegaSquirt, called UltraMegaSquirt, should be out in the spring/summer 2004. It should be smaller (will probably cost a little more, but require less assembly), lots more powerful, and it's code written in c instead of assembly. There will be many new features as well, such as built in wide band 02 sensing. Bruce Bowling just told the list that he and Al Grippo just purchased a Horiba A/F monitor to prototype the wideband 02 in UltraMegaSquirt. Basically they bought a really expensive tool just to help development of our next computer! These guys are great!

Happy Holidays,

Dan

PS - any xs'ers out there in michigan land with a wire welder?
                Home of ENIAC

Comment

Hey Bilbo,
                  Not related to FI, but you might want to check the primary resistance on your coils - I think my brother *may* have been later model coils on and left the ballast resistor on. I've got Accel coils (I wanted replaceable wires) and left the ballast on, not knowing better...yesterday I took it off and am noticing a decent improvement in spark plug color. I also changed the oil to Castrol GTX 10w40 and added 1/2 pint of seafoam to the crankcase. End result, this morning I had no starter clutch slip (I have been having the same problem your starter has since I used some Lucas 2 oil changes ago), and the bike started without a problem this morning in under 1 second - also idled very nicely and choke came off in under 2 minutes instead of 5.

Comment

Man, what I wouldn't give to live in a place you can ride all year :-)

I'll check to see about the coils. I've been thinking about adapting an HEI module into the XS system and removing the Ignitor box all together. I think the spark would be much hotter and HEI modules are much easier to get than Ignitors :-)

I've been running Golden Spectral 20w-50w, maybe this is too thick? Or do you think the sea foam cleaned something and made the starter work better?

Dan
                    Home of ENIAC

Comment

I'm not absolutey sure which part did the trick, but I know that I've been running 20w50 since I got the bike. During the summer I had little to no problem with the starter clutch, but when it started getting cold I had to put the kickstart lever on in order to get her to fire.

From everything I read, the reason the starter "clutch" is slipping is that it could have crap built up on it over the years and the 20w50 during the cold is what pushes it over the edge.

Btw, while it is great to be able to ride all year round, it sucks that the weather that makes it possible also lets allergens flourish - I never had allergies until we moved down here.

Comment

Yea a HEI module!!!!

Hey Mainlylinux! I can't believe you mentioned the HEI module cause that is exactly what I been wanting to do. I was holding back discussion untill I fooled around with it but since you brought it up!!!!!!I was wandering about trigger compatability. It would be much better than the black box and totally generic with many aftermarket versions out there also. What made me think about it was in the early 90's I sold several distributors that Accel produced that was self contained for Fords and Mopars using GM style modules mounted right on the side of the distributor. I thought that they worked just fine and were very simple. Don't know if they still produce them or not but it's a great idea!!!
                        Garry
                        '79 SF "Battle Cat"
                        outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Dan, the work you’re doing on your XS11 Megasquirt project is outstanding! Thank you very much for sharing it with us! Now you say there may be an HEI project in future! Wow! You and other Xsives who dream up and build various mods and new-technology upgrades are to be congratulated! You are extending the life of a truly great motorcycle. We don’t see many 25 year old bikes out there anymore, and very few have an owners group like ours. You are helping to build a legend. I’m happy I chose to re-enter motorcycling with an XS11. Have a very Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy and successful New Year!
                          Dennis

Comment

Are there any new developments in your FI projects lately? Please keep us posted.

Ben
                            1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
                            1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
                            1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
                            1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
                            1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
                            1982 XS650
                            1980 XS1100g
                            1979 XS1100sf
                            1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

are you guys using a hi flow petcock because I had problems with the fuel pump on my turbo not getting enough fuel so I bought a duel outlet high flow petcock from pengel and that helped or is that not an issue.
                              copy and paste
                              http://www.imagestation.com/members/turbox79

Comment

Honestly, I haven't gotten quite that far. I've been strapped for cash since Christmas :-) Hopefully soon I'll be able to finish her up.

Dan
                                Home of ENIAC

Comment

Working...
                                X