Where is my diaphragm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

picture 9 of thirteen.

im starting to think this carb is off of an fj1100...

Originally posted by John View Post
    My wife has an FJ11, and a while ago she had the carbs out. I happen to have a spare set of XS carbs, so I compared them. I butted the carbs up to each other, at the engine side, and it was a perfect match. The spacing was exactly the same. There are a few minor differences however. The FJ carbs do not have a vacuum port on the #2 carb body for the vacuum advance, so you would have to use a vacuum port off one of the intake boots, and add a restriction, so the advance mechanism isn't bouncing about wildly, and the FJ carbs use two throttle cables, but a clever man can find a way around this problem. Another issue is the size of the fuel line. The FJ uses 5/16" and the XS uses 1/4'' line.

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
      AFAIK, the XS11 is the only bike to use a vacuum advance so your Zuki carbs won't have a port.
      True dat!

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
      The bike should run ok without the vac advance.
      Dat I ain't so sure about. My bike ran like crap when the advance diaphragm went out.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Spootinay View Post
        picture 9 of thirteen.

im starting to think this carb is off of an fj1100...
        Not sure what those hoses are but they're not vacuum.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

The bike may run ok without the vacuum advance hooked up, but gas mileage will suffer, as the timing curve is designed with the vacuum advance in mind, and to get enough advance without it you need too much advance at low RPM. That said, at least one type of carb it's been figured out how to modify to provide the proper vacuum for the advance, so I expect it can be done for the others since they are the same carbs, they just don't have the ports drilled on the ones not setup for the 11. (at least on the bs34's, but the port exists in the casting, it's the same casting for all of them (at least for a given series such as the series III, but the difference is how the passages are drilled and the jet sizes.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

so could i drill a hole in the existing casting and insert a tube to attach a vacuum advance line to? I can see where it is supposed to be drilled. from comparing pictures of other carbs.

Comment

79 carbs

I've got an extra set of 78/79 carbs. PM me if you need them to get riding.
              mack
              79 XS 1100 SF Special
              HERMES
              original owner
              http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
              SPICA
              http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
              IOTA
              https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
              https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
              Frankford, Ont, Canada
              613-398-6186

Comment

You could, but it's a bit trickier than that. The vacuum nipple on the stock carb has a tiny hole into the carb throat, it's not the full 3/16" diameter. And where it is is important too; the stock hole is located so that it's blocked when the throttle plate is closed, and as soon as the plate moves the hole is subjected to 'manifold' vacuum.

Do a forum search; somewhere on here is a post about doing just this, and it details where and how big the hole is...
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Where's your diaphram?

Oh, man, lighten up. It's not that technical (Heh.), your diaphram is between your stomach and your lungs. Geez! don't put a hole IT!! ....had to do this.
                  Geno

Comment

Originally posted by Spootinay View Post
                    so could i drill a hole in the existing casting and insert a tube to attach a vacuum advance line to? I can see where it is supposed to be drilled. from comparing pictures of other carbs.
                    It has to be in exactly the right spot and exactly the right size.

IMHO............get the right carbs for the bike.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                    X