Where is my diaphragm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is my diaphragm?

I bought a 79 xs1100 e of f (idk which yet)

the four hoses coming off of the petcocks are going directly into the carb

there are four smaller hoses coming off the carbs just hanging out. they are probably supposed to be hooked into the diaphragm that is non existant.

what do i do?

here is a pic

http://s1188.photobucket.com/albums/...t=DSC03044.jpg

Comment

Welcome Spootinay!

78 is E 79 is a F and so on.

It appears you no longer have the octy on there any more. But someone sure has things messed up for you. But I'l try to help you a bit. It's been a while since I had been into a 79. But the long fuel lines that are coming from the back side of the petcock in place that run from the left petcock to the right carb and vis-a-versa are correct. If you understood what I just said. Now as for the front fuel line that is usually prime for that petcock is wrong. They all four should be connected to a T then into ONE to the carb. That line they have running from the front side of the petcock to the carb looks to be hooked up to the bowl vent. If you turn it to prime gas will flow out everywhere cause it's going into the bowl vent and not the float valve. But what I can't figure out is the 2 small lines coming out from under everything there. They look like bowl vents as well but I only remember one inlet for for 1-2 carbs and 3-4 and one bowl vent for 1-2 carbs and 3-4. I know someone here can better explain it then I. But hope you get some idea!!!
      Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
      87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
      93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
      71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
      69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

GEEEZE MAN!..................I hate hearing those words, especially AFTERWARDS!!!!!!!!!!

PO has that setup all FUBAR. Without the octy the two hoses connected to the REAR nipples should go to the lower Ts on the carbs and the FRONT nipples should be capped off.

The upper Ts on the carbs are bowl vents and should connect to the two nipples at the top front of the airbox.

What year and model bike have you got?
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Ok so it is a 79 xs1100 f. Im not sure what model it is. all the decals are missing and its been repainted.

ccogswel:

Thanks for the welcome! You are correct there is gas spilling everywhere. I kinda have an idea of what you're saying about the lines, haha.

BA80:

I'll cap off the front nipples until i get an octy. And ill connect the upper t's on the carb bowl vent when i get an airbox lol.

I need a new octy (diaphragm right?), an airbox so far. Am i missing anything else?

Comment

With those valves on the tank I would have to say it's an SF. 79 Special.

Are you running ANY kind of air cleaner?

You can look up your V.I.N. # HERE and see exactly what year and model you have.
            Last edited by BA80; 07-17-2011, 06:09 PM.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

ok, sf 79 special it is if that is the original tank.

I'll be getting a stock air cleaner on there before i ride it regularly. but for now there are four individual cleaners, but the only have wire mesh for a filter. or maybe there are filters for them.

http://s1188.photobucket.com/albums/...t=DSC03118.jpg

1979 XS1100F 2H7-020101 Magenta Red, Indigo Blue
              Last edited by Spootinay; 07-17-2011, 06:23 PM.

Comment

DUDE! Those screens are for drag racing and they are there to keep bugs and gravel out ONLY.

Don't EVEN try to tune on those carbs with that **** on there.
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Yeah i have to put in a new clutch cable, one spark plug, octy (diaphragm), and air box before i tune the carb.

Comment

Originally posted by Spootinay View Post
                    Yeah i have to put in a new clutch cable, one spark plug, octy (diaphragm), and air box before i tune the carb.
                    I hate to tell you but you have a 'frankenbike'...

The carbs you have are late '80 or '81 (by the rear carb bracket and side-drain bowls), they may even be XJ carbs as I see a idle adjustment screw that shouldn't be there. Or they may not even be Yamaha carbs....

The fuel tank is definitely a Special, but you should still check motor/frame numbers to pin down what those are as there are enough differences on some stuff to make parts interchange very hard.

And yeah, that hose setup is terrible...
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Those are good obsevations Steve and now that you bring them to my attention, they are probably not even XS carbs.

The late carbs didn't have the bowl vents there above the fuel inlets,they were in an extra hole the airbox side of the carbs and those are missing also.
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                        Those are good obsevations Steve and now that you bring them to my attention, they are probably not even XS carbs.

The late carbs didn't have the bowl vents there above the fuel inlets,they were in an extra hole the airbox side of the carbs and those are missing also.
                        Good catch; I missed that. So those aren't XS carbs... wonder what they're off of?
                        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                        '82 XJ rebuild project
                        '80SG restified, red SOLD
                        '79F parts...
                        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Should've been Bikin' Frank instead of spootinay

The frame vin and the motor vin are matching numbers.

This is now a 'name that carb' thread lol

They are made in Japan by the Mikuni Corp.

the bowls match the picture on an ebay ad for "YAMAHA XS400 XS 400 MIKUNI CARB CARBURETOR BOWL 82-83"

pics:
                          http://s1188.photobucket.com/albums/...t=DSC03122.jpg
                          http://s1188.photobucket.com/albums/...t=DSC03121.jpg
                          http://s1188.photobucket.com/albums/...t=DSC03120.jpg
                          http://s1188.photobucket.com/albums/...t=DSC03119.jpg

The million dollar questions: can i run the bike with this carb?
                          Last edited by Spootinay; 07-17-2011, 09:24 PM.

Comment

I don't recognize them. The cable choke setup and fuel inlets are something different than I've seen.

Maybe someone in the "other bikes" forum would know. Not XS11 carbs though.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                              Good catch; I missed that. So those aren't XS carbs... wonder what they're off of?
                              They could be XS carbs with the wrong bowls, I believe you can fit the later bowls on the older carbs, but I'm not sure how well they will work, as most of the elements of the carbs on the XS are common to all BS34III carbs, with the differences being in where the external attachment points are drilled and how the enricher is hooked up and the internal passages and jets.
                              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                              Vetter Windjammer IV
                              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                              OEM Luggage Rack
                              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                              Spade Fuse Box
                              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                              750 FD Mod
                              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                              X