Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
    With the copper crush washer and all I figured it needed a lot
    I don't think it's a crush washer. It's just a copper sealing washer, like the ones on the brake line banjos. Or is that what you call a crush washer? I thought they kind of collapsed when tightened...
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
      I don't think it's a crush washer. It's just a copper sealing washer, like the ones on the brake line banjos. Or is that what you call a crush washer? I thought they kind of collapsed when tightened...
      Yeah, same difference in my book...
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Yeah, same difference in my book...
        Yep, same on Wikipedia...

"The term washer is often applied to various gasket types such as those used to seal the control valve in taps. Crush washers, made of a soft metal such as aluminium or copper and used to seal fluid or gas connections such as found in an internal combustion engine."

I must have been thinking of something like a sparkplug washer... which actually collapses as you tighten up. I think they're meant to assist in not overtightening, as they collapse once the required torque is reached. Or, worryingly, this might be a completely 'false memory'. ...these days I never know.....

Nice to know my CCT has the correct one on it..a hefty copper one....it certainly doesn't leak.
        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

"The term washer is often applied to various gasket types such as those used to seal the control valve in taps. Crush washers, made of a soft metal such as aluminium or copper and used to seal fluid or gas connections such as found in an internal combustion engine.".
          You're probably thinking of a crush sleeve, which is used to set bearing pre-load. You torque those until the preload is good; they 'crush' in length...
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Yep, same on Wikipedia...

"The term washer is often applied to various gasket types such as those used to seal the control valve in taps. Crush washers, made of a soft metal such as aluminium or copper and used to seal fluid or gas connections such as found in an internal combustion engine."

I must have been thinking of something like a sparkplug washer... which actually collapses as you tighten up. I think they're meant to assist in not overtightening, as they collapse once the required torque is reached. Or, worryingly, this might be a completely 'false memory'. ...these days I never know.....

Nice to know my CCT has the correct one on it..a hefty copper one....it certainly doesn't leak.
            Cool, thanks for the explanation. Like I said, don't use much more than 20 ft/lbs, they will snap!
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Cool, thanks for the explanation. Like I said, don't use much more than 20 ft/lbs, they will snap!
              Def worth knowing. Like yours, my two took a hell of a lot of undoing, so I thought, "better really tighten them up hard". Looks like I was lucky and didn't overdo it. Nice that they come in pairs usually though, eh? My other one found a new home on an XS100 here in the UK.... I better e-mail him with that torque figure........

Comment

Working...
              X