Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCT conversion

Hi Folks

After reading the accumulated wisdom here re CCT's, I can officially state that I am converted. Thank you to those people who posted after using other CCT's.

I bought a couple of 1300 Venture CCT's from the States and fitted mine in about 20 minutes today.

*The contact surface area of the pusher rod, which had concerned me, is only about 25% smaller than the OEM one. Also, whilst it's metal to metal contact on the plunger and blade, I doubt it will wear through.

*It bolts straight on. However, because the bolt hole casting is slightly thinner than on the OEM one, I had to shorten the mounting bolts by about 2mm in order to get the CCT firmly seated. At first, the bolts went in as far as they would go into the head but were just a couple of mil. too long. So that's something to bear in mind before going mad with the allen keys.

*It's quite obviously much sturdier, better designed and more failsafe than the original (which looks very weedy by contrast)

*The spring-retaining bolt which goes in the end not only has a rubber O ring in the casting of the body but also a copper sealing washer. Also no daft plug thing as per OEM. So I'd say the chances of an oil leak are virtually nil.

*Importantly, when I started the bike, the engine sounds every bit as quiet as before. Actually quiter, as I think the cam chain needed adjusting again since the last time. Of course, the auto-tightener did it immediately.

So, to all of those people who sung the praises of this modification despite my repeated questions and concerns, thanks very much.

Pix below. I painted it black with PJ1 satin black case paint so it looks like the rest of the engine.

XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

I just bought 2 off ebay from a V Max for $24! Im gonna put one on when I disassemble my bike to paint the engine satin black. I just bought 2 can of PJ1 case paint as well!

Comment

Originally posted by mharrington View Post
      I just bought 2 off ebay from a V Max for $24! Im gonna put one on when I disassemble my bike to paint the engine satin black. I just bought 2 can of PJ1 case paint as well!
      You got a bargain then. BTW, have you used PJ1 stain black case paint before?
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

No worries James, you'll be glad u did. The more u ride it the more you'll realize how much smoother being 'in time' ALL the time. Now, just clean up the rest of that motor.......eeeeekk. Also, if you could find some BluAway, you could get rid of most of that gold on the headpipes. The gold comes from chrome polish......chemicals in chrome polish don't like heat and that's the pay-back.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
          ...Also, if you could find some BluAway, you could get rid of most of that gold on the headpipes. The gold comes from chrome polish......chemicals in chrome polish don't like heat and that's the pay-back.
          He's got a set of those hand-made stainless steel pipes, not chrome... and those will turn gold no matter what you do from the heat. Only cure is continuous heavy polishing...
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Now, you're not going to believe this but the engine in the photos just doesn't look filthy in real life! It's the flash on the camera reflected on the lightest coat of puddle water ! I looked at those pix and though YUK! my bike doesn't look like that. Honest!

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
              He's got a set of those hand-made stainless steel pipes, not chrome... and those will turn gold no matter what you do from the heat. Only cure is continuous heavy polishing...
              I regard the 4 header pipes as large gold pinstripes....... actually, I can live with the gold colour as it's unavoidable, means I don't have loads of polishing and I quite like the look of them with the colour scheme etc (good job I do, eh?).

Comment

Those oil cooler lines look like the lines for an 850 cooler. Is that what it is?
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                  Those oil cooler lines look like the lines for an 850 cooler. Is that what it is?
                  No...it's an 1100. All the European XS1100's came with the oil cooler. They're an easy retro-fit for the US bikes or others that don't have the cooler. Cheap to do too, usually

Comment

That looks just like an XS850 oil cooler. How does it plumb in? An oil filter adapter plate?

I have an old Kerker oil cooler on the okieSPECIAL. You can't get 'em any more. I wonder how many others are still out there.

Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

That looks just like an XS850 oil cooler. How does it plumb in? An oil filter adapter plate?
                      It was probably used on the 850 too, I'd say. Yes, it's an oil filter adapter plate, sandwiched between the engine and the oil filter. All standard for the European XS1100's and, from the sound of it, for the XS850 too.

Comment

I searched fleabay for XS850 oil coolers and found LOTS of coolers but no adapter plates.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...506.m270.l1313

I'm not sure but I believe they were hooked directly to the engine.

I may hit you up to look for a couple of those later. I have 2 projects I'm working on, An SF and a SG. I would like to put coolers on them.

Probably not necessary but I believe that any extra cooling you get on an air cooled engine is a good thing.
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I did it!

I found my CCT from a Venturer I bought off eBay and intended to swap at MOM but couldnt find it. It was in a drawer of the toolbox!

I swapped it today. 20 min - mostly cure time on RTV.

I ground the bolts 2-3mm measured by adding a nut and comparing shoulder to old CCT. Smooth as buttah!

I swear it started up easier than ever.

Changed oil too.

Ready for Durango!!!
                          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                            You got a bargain then. BTW, have you used PJ1 stain black case paint before?
                            I have not used it before- however everything I have read about it (Here and other places) was positive.

Comment

I searched fleabay for XS850 oil coolers and found LOTS of coolers but no adapter plates.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...506.m270.l1313

I'm not sure but I believe they were hooked directly to the engine.

I may hit you up to look for a couple of those later. I have 2 projects I'm working on, An SF and a SG. I would like to put coolers on them.

Probably not necessary but I believe that any extra cooling you get on an air cooled engine is a good thing.
                              Greg, check with TC, he makes a spin on oil filter cooler adapter that would probably make those work just fine. And would get rid of that cartridge oil filter that's getting harder to find as well. Plus with that sofca, you would probably pick up any automotive oil cooler that would fit as well, since AFAIK there is nothing special about the ones for our bikes other than the fittings.
                              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                              Vetter Windjammer IV
                              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                              OEM Luggage Rack
                              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                              Spade Fuse Box
                              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                              750 FD Mod
                              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                              X