No announcement yet.

Stuck Filter Bolt and FD filler plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you really get desperate re the FD filler plug, I'd drill it out, whilst getting someone to hold a vacuum cleaner hose next to the drill bit. If you use a large drill bit, just under the diameter of the plug, you'll find a vice-grip will succeed in moving what's left in there. I'd swill out the FD with something though, jut to get any swarf that the vacuum cleaner might miss.

Of course, you'll need a new FD filler plug but, from what you've said, yours is pretty wrecked now.....
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

The biggest issue with getting these plugs out is you really need hit them with an impact blow either from a hammer or from an impact wrench. If you have them rounded off good then its going to be a battle. For what its worth, I would find someone who is willing to weld a nut onto the plugs while on the bike. You should disconnect the battery and the TCI module under the seat before welding though.
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

If you do have to drill out the plug you make sure you use a really sharp bit and smear some grease on it. The shavings will follow the grease and keep them out of your FD.
        '79 XS11 Special

MikeXS Pods
        Green Coils
        SS Brake Lines

Comment

Originally posted by Lbrown311 View Post
          with the FD whining like it is, I don't wanna run it any more and risk a cato.
          Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Lb but if it's whining it's most likely too late anyway. Bite the bullet and get another.

I suggest an 850FD but if you want a stocker I have 3 or 4 here, I'll give one up cheap.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I once took the filter bolt and using a dremel tool with a disc actually ground it flush so the bolt didn't have much of a head on it-actually no head, and the unit just came off.But you have to know how much to grind away if not you will have to buy the housing.
            1980 XS1100 SG
            Inline fuel filters
            New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
            160 mph speedometer mod
            Kerker Exhaust
            xschop K & N air filter setup
            Dynojet Recalibration kit
            1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Thought about grinding it off and just slipping the housing over it, then getting the rest of the bolt out and replacing it. Not sure what I wanna do yet. Just got home to check all the new posts. Might take it to work with me and see if the metal shop behind me will try it

Also, don't the FD's normally whine. It was fine when I got it, just a bit more now. Only thing I changed was to clean out and re-grease it after putting the new rear tire on. Why would it be too late? How would I go about checking to make sure. I don't wanna buy one just to buy one. PM me on a price you are thinking BA80.
              1980 XS1100SG "Black Mamba" 28K
              1979 XS1100F 33k (Current Project)
              1981 XS1100H "Blue Balls" (Crashed and under repair )

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

Like I said, I recommend replacing it with an 850 FD but if you want a stocker they are practically giving them away on fleabay.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...506.m270.l1313

The 850 FDs as well. If you switch you want an 80 or newer for easy installation.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...506.m270.l1313
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

As many people have swapped to the XS750 final drive, it seems to me, someone should be willing to give you one. If not, as stated, they're cheap.

I'm not offering, because I'm not making the swap.

Marty (in Seattle)
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                    As many people have swapped to the XS750 final drive, it seems to me, someone should be willing to give you one. If not, as stated, they're cheap.

Marty (in Seattle)
                    Heh heh........thanks for your input Marty.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Well I found out the whine was from my exhaust baffle and not the FD WHEW! Got the FD filler plug out with an EZ out without drilling all the way thru it. Stuck it tight and gave it a good whack with a hammer and it popped free. I got the gear oils changed to Royal Purple as I heard good things about it and agree with the GL-5 gear oil. Now I have to figure out the Filter bolt. Tried the tapping method and a vise grip but there is just really no space down there without popping the headers off. I think I will see if I can get a nut welded on and get it out that way. Anyways I am half way there, and glad to find out the FD was in good shape. Oil in both was pretty dirty as well as the magneto plugs, so...glad I got them changed. Hopefully reduces the stock oil whine like people say it does. Can't wait to get the ColorTune and get her runnin perfectly Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated as always.

Both bolts will be replaced with new ones, but for the mean the filler plug on the FD is just snug and not leaking.

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

You will never get rid of all the whine Lb. That's just part of the XS11 package.

ORielly's has this too..http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...rd=nut+remover

I know it says it's $45 but they also have a house brand of the same tool that runs about $20. These have worked very well for me removing stripped or broken exhaust studs. Should work on your filter bolt too.

They are designed so the harder you turn them the tighter they bite.

JAT
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Sweet BA80 I might have to check out if they maybe rent them. Wouldn't be a bad tool to own tho I will check tomorrow and prolly rent the compression tester that they rent for free and see whats goin on inside there.
                          Thanks for the tip

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post

Marty (in Seattle)
                            Aha yes, I agree...but..... the many people have posted doubts about the 750FD swap and doubt the longevity of the 750FD on the 1100 etc. So, even generous people like me, who are currently tearing about and loving their FD swap, will probably hoard their OEM drive in case anything goes wrong. Or are you saying you now have such faith in the swap that you don't think the 750FD will blow up? Please clarify..... if the swap is no good, as I think you've said before, you really should be recommending that we keep them, not give them away, eh?
                            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I've heard enought to make my opinion on the swap and I won't be doing it. So if anyone wants to give away their original FD. I'll PM you my address

Plus I like to keep it as much stock as possible. Down the road I will consider a custom XS11

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

Each has to make their own decision. It's interesting that even with the higher effective FD ratio of the standard bikes, the FD swap actually seems to be more popular on the standard models than on the specials by a small margin . Not sure why, as it seems that it would be more beneficial on the special than the standard for sure. I know if I get a special, the first thing I'm doing is hunting up a 750/850 FD for it. It's all about be comfortable and happy with YOUR machine, and doing the things that make YOU happy with it. Some seem to feel that a fork brace and fork emulators and special front springs and rear shocks are really important, and while I rate them up a ways, I don't ride hard, so it's not nearly as high on the list for me as it is for some. However, the spin on oil filter adapter was REALLY high on my list, so it's all about what's important to YOU (and while I'd like a nice seat cover, I'd rather ride, and my raggedy seat cover keeps the foam on the inside for the most part, and it's comfy, so until I can find a backup seat it stays as is) as it's not stock, so I can't get an off the shelf cover, it requires finding a shop to do a custom cover and having no seat and no bike while they work on it, not something I'm willing to do while it's possible to ride (which can be a problem with there being little to no downtime here in sunny Cantafordya) .
                                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                                Vetter Windjammer IV
                                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                                OEM Luggage Rack
                                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                                Spade Fuse Box
                                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                                750 FD Mod
                                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                                X