Quick carb question and notes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick carb question and notes...

I'm putting my '80 SG carbs back together and the parts fiche is unhelpful...

I'm looking for the idle mixture screws and those are aren't shown ('Those are tamper proof! Dealer only! Whatcha doin' in there, boy?' ), but when installing, I assume the o-ring goes in first, then the little washer, then the spring and screw? By the time I got mine out, and as cruddy as they were, it was pretty tough to tell what was what...

Two comments... I know some don't like to split the rack, but I found a lot of crud behind the fuel tees. If your carbs are particularly nasty, this spot bears looking at. The other comment is make sure you clean the hole the emulsion tube goes in. I found that if this hole is actually clean, the tube drops right in. If you have to push or wiggle it, you've still got crud in there.... I used a small gun bore brush; worked great!
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

yuppers, you got it Steve. Washer just keeps spring from cutting/biting into the o-ring as you quickly figured out!
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Where did you get those orings? I need some for a set of 81 carbs I am working on.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

NA from Yammy..........go to your local Suzy dealer and order part#13291-29900...X 4.(individual packaging).
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
          Where did you get those orings? I need some for a set of 81 carbs I am working on.
          Nate, PM me with your address and I will drop some in the mail for you.

Larry
          Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
          http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
          82 XJ1100
          80 XS1100G (Project bike)
          64 Yamaha YA-6
          77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
          See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Ive been looking for somewhere to say this and this looks like as good a place as any, I know it will cause a stir. Which BTW is not my point.

I really doubt those o-rings are essential.I think they are mainly a by product of the stricter emission mentality of those years. Not planning to do any anytime soon but when I do this can be tested by leaving them out and filling the top of the tower hole with something harmless like ATF. Then see if it is pulled down in the hole when started and when revving. If it does which I doubt, then capping the top of the tower hole(easily done) would still negate the o-ring.

Now for the YOU MUST BE CRAZY responses. Expected
            79SF
            XJ11
            78E

Comment

Originally posted by SFerinTEXAS View Post
              Ive been looking for somewhere to say this and this looks like as good a place as any, I know it will cause a stir. Which BTW is not my point.

I really doubt those o-rings are essential.I think they are mainly a by product of the stricter emission mentality of those years. Not planning to do any anytime soon but when I do this can be tested by leaving them out and filling the top of the tower hole with something harmless like ATF. Then see if it is pulled down in the hole when started and when revving. If it does which I doubt, then capping the top of the tower hole(easily done) would still negate the o-ring.

Now for the YOU MUST BE CRAZY responses. Expected

I don't think your crazy, I just do not see the point of it. The o-ring is EASILY had by going to any Harbor Freight and buying the nitrile or Viton o-ring kits of 100 and some o-rings for $4-$10. And if you for any reason need to seal the top of the tower, well, you just negated any benefit of leaving the o-ring out.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

hey tex,
                u just run the risk of air leaking past the steal washer,
                which could make tuning that little bit more difficult, also
                the faster the engines running the more air is likely to be
                sucked in causing an even leaner mixture.
                pete

new owner of
                08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                zrx carbs
                18mm float height
                145 main jets
                38 pilots
                slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

If it passed the ATF draw test it would prove my point. Try and stop me.
                  Over the years Ive watched all kinds of grief posted about those o-rings.

I guess the world would end if it was a fact they aren't necessarily. And the sky would fall. Galileo spent time in prison over that round world idea. I feel lucky.

I'm really surprised someone hasn't found a way to put them in the early carbs And scoffed if anyone questioned their efforts. I question pretty much everything, never been a good sheep i guess. When I'm wrong I admit it. Just don't follow well with my brain turned off.
                  79SF
                  XJ11
                  78E

Comment

Originally posted by SFerinTEXAS View Post
                    If it passed the ATF draw test it would prove my point. Try and stop me.
                    Over the years Ive watched all kinds of grief posted about those o-rings.

I guess the world would end if it was a fact they aren't necessarily. And the sky would fall. Galileo spent time in prison over that round world idea. I feel lucky.

I'm really surprised someone hasn't found a way to put them in the early carbs And scoffed if anyone questioned their efforts. I question pretty much everything, never been a good sheep i guess. When I'm wrong I admit it. Just don't follow well with my brain turned off.
                    i wasnt having a go, i always like discussion,
                    i just dont see the point in leaving them out,
                    but to each there own.
                    pete

new owner of
                    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                    zrx carbs
                    18mm float height
                    145 main jets
                    38 pilots
                    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Ive already proved to myself the small screw on the rear caliper (on most models) pads is not necessary . There is a reason its there but not because its necessary.
                      79SF
                      XJ11
                      78E

Comment

Apologize for my ABOVE thread giving that part # as the o-ring......THAT part # is for the teeny-tiny WASHERS!.......

Comment

SFerin, basicly "been there, done that". Had three hard and squished out ones and the fourth was in two hard pieces. Carb #1,2 and three, idle mix could be set, sorta, but not consistant. Carb#4 could run idle mix screw in tight with no change in rpm. Put new o-rings in along with the washers that were all missing. All four worked like they were designed to do. If when running any individual screw ALL the way in and it does NOT kill the motor, and you know for sure the internals of the carb are clean and everything open, that would likely be the culprit.........least was my findings with the carbs on the Venturer and caused the idle circuit to be "untunable" of sorts....may save you the trouble and time, plus you won't have to re-set and sync your carbs once you get done monkeying around with them....

Comment

And again No offense intended.
                            motoman SFerin, basicly "been there, done that".
                            That stops some, Atf test coming some day . Seems what is is what is . Message Don't Fight it, BE like US

Not a DNA option
                            79SF
                            XJ11
                            78E

Comment

And again No offense intended///////None taken SF!......DNA rules and "just because you can".......got it.

Comment

Working...
                              X