No announcement yet.

no fire in 2&3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE= . . . you'll need HT lead and the rubber shrouds that seal them... also the little brass inserts that go into the HT lead sockets of the Dynas. All on eBay and not expensive.[/QUOTE]

but will i still need these things?
    1979 XS1100SF 37000km
    Green Dyna Coils
    Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
    kevXS

Comment

Originally posted by kevxs View Post
      but will i still need these things?
      No, you shouldn't need any of that. If you have the HT leads and caps already, the leads will just plug straight into the sockets on the Dynas
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

great, thanks for all the speedy replies! i'm sure everyone knows how valuable real time information is when your trying to get your bike buttoned up in a limited time frame.
        1979 XS1100SF 37000km
        Green Dyna Coils
        Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
        kevXS

Comment

Fixed!

just re installed the original coils and the ballast resistor, running great now, guess my old coils weren't bad afterall

Thanks for the help!
          1979 XS1100SF 37000km
          Green Dyna Coils
          Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
          kevXS

Comment

Hey Kev,

I want to apologize for you having spent hard earned $$ on the Black Coils possibly from "my" recommendation and tech tip! That tip was written 4 years ago, and because I only put about 2k miles a year on mine, they lasted the ~8kmiles that most folks are seeing before they fail..yours seems premature, but it apparently is what we can expect from what is most likely chinese crap! I'll be editting that tip, and promoting the green ones, or Dyna's, etc.!

James, I just received my Dynas from eBay...found a seller and price of $123.00 with S&H included, and then got a 10% off coupon just before ordering, so I got them for a mere $110.00 !!! But as was stated, they don't come with the wire seals. I've got the solid core HT wires and caps, but the Black ones had a screw sticking out in the middle that the wires screwed onto. The Dynas just have a large metal cup design in the coil.

I would like to NOT have to wait to receive the brass tips that would fit onto the wire ends. I wonder if I would be able to trim back the insulation to expose the core, fold it back around the end so that it would make contact with the inner coil cup, and then RTV them in place as I had planned to do anyways?? OR..can I get those brass wire ends from a local auto store??

I would like to install them this weekend.

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I believe those are just automotive clips on the dynas, so you should be able to get those clips from the auto parts store, although you might have to hit up a higher end one like Napa or the like, as auto zone might not carry them.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Yup, should be able to get those ends from a auto store.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                  James, I just received my Dynas from eBay...found a seller and price of $123.00 with S&H included, and then got a 10% off coupon just before ordering, so I got them for a mere $110.00 !!! But as was stated, they don't come with the wire seals. I would like to NOT have to wait to receive the brass tips that would fit onto the wire ends. T.C.
                  It all looks like car stuff to me, TC. To be honest, the screw method isn't as good IMO and I much prefer the Dyna system which permits removal and replacing of the leads without risk of the screw cutting through the core of the cable as it's twisted/untwisted etc.

Yes, all car bits and readily available. That's a good deal on the Dynas. I bought mine from the US and, even with shipping, they cost less than here. As I mentioned when I posted a thread about installing the Dynas, they produce a hell of a shock. I got one through my gloved hand and felt it earth through my other hand and my foot.
                  XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Ok, someone tell me why this coil wouldn't work, its way cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Ignition-.../dp/B000GZMV0Q
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                      Ok, someone tell me why this coil wouldn't work, its way cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Ignition-.../dp/B000GZMV0Q
                      They used a 'generic' pic; the part # is for a Harley so the coil is shaped entirely different, and the price is each, not a pair...
                      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                      '82 XJ rebuild project
                      '80SG restified, red SOLD
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Generic pix are annoying and misleading. Especially when they show TWO of the wrong item..........

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                          They used a 'generic' pic; the part # is for a Harley so the coil is shaped entirely different, and the price is each, not a pair...
                          Alright, makes sense.

Originally posted by James England View Post
                          Generic pix are annoying and misleading. Especially when they show TWO of the wrong item..........
                          Yeah that is really annoying!
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                          X