Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

You're right at the mileage those black coils are known to die at. It's a pretty common failure mode there, just the way it normally happens. I had been thinking it had to do with soldering the primary wires to them, but the survey says that the ones failing had NOT had that done so my theory was proven wrong. It's now my theory they are just crap and should be avoided and one should go with ANYTHING but the MikesXS black coils.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

thats a shame, i thought i was reading people were getting 8000 or 10000 out of them, 2000 seems pretty sad. anyway guess i gotta get the green ones.
        1979 XS1100SF 37000km
        Green Dyna Coils
        Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
        kevXS

Comment

Get the dyna coil version is the green ones. Cheaper and warrantied.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

can you send me the link for those?
            1979 XS1100SF 37000km
            Green Dyna Coils
            Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
            kevXS

Comment

About 95% sure these are the right ones.

http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=210
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                About 95% sure these are the right ones.

http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=210
                Those are the right ones.

Z1 seems to have the best price for them. Thats where I bought mine.
                Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
                Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
                Pod Filters
                DynoJet Kit
                T.C.'s Fuse Block
                Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
                Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
                V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Check your pickup coils... and you don't have to dig out that plug behind the fuse panel, check it at the TCI instead; this will also 'prove' all the intervening wire. You should have 720 ohms (+/- 20%) on each coil, more is not good. This will be the smaller plug at the TCI, check between the two yellows and two whites. It's a good idea to have the engine cover off and move the timing plate by hand to check if the wires are making intermittant contact.
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                    Check your pickup coils... and you don't have to dig out that plug behind the fuse panel, check it at the TCI instead; this will also 'prove' all the intervening wire. You should have 720 ohms (+/- 20%) on each coil, more is not good. This will be the smaller plug at the TCI, check between the two yellows and two whites. It's a good idea to have the engine cover off and move the timing plate by hand to check if the wires are making intermittant contact.
                    It would be worth checking except he already swapped the primary wires and the symptom didn't move, showing that the coil is bad, which has come to be expected with the black MikesXS coils, and right about the number of miles he has on them, so given the coils he has and the miles he has on them, it's the first thing to check, given that it's so far pretty much a 100% rate of failure on at least one of the coils at right about 2000 miles.
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by kevxs View Post
                      so when i switch the orange and grey wires, i still dont get fire in 2 & 3. i guess this means my coil is bad?
                      Yes. It could possibly be both plugs/caps and leads.... logically speaking..... but it won't be. It'll be the coil, I'd say.

Those Mike's XS coils sound complete rubbish. When I was looking into changing mine (I have green 3 ohm Dynas on now, bought from the US), I contacted them, asking about those coils and if they could send to me here. How pleased I am that I received a one-word response "No". I was disappointed at the time but things often work out for the best.

OEM coils often NEVER need replacing and there's a healthy market in used oines, so even 10,000 miles seems poor.....
                      Last edited by James England; 06-13-2011, 12:46 AM.
                      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

will i be able to use the plug wires off my mikeXS black coils on the new green dyna coils or do i have to buy new wires too?
                        1979 XS1100SF 37000km
                        Green Dyna Coils
                        Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
                        kevXS

Comment

i used a set of coils from a honda vf750
                          careful what you wish for.........you might get it

Comment

will i be able to use the plug wires off my mikeXS black coils on the new green dyna coils or do i have to buy new wires too?
                            On Dynas you only get the coils themselves. So you'll need HT lead and the rubber shrouds that seal them... also the little brass inserts that go into the HT lead sockets of the Dynas. All on eBay and not expensive.

I'd buy silicone HT lead with carbon core, the brass bits, and then make your own leads. The silicone leads are excellent and better than plastic sheathed copper. They are lower resistance, giving a better spark one assumes, and flexible. Here's pix of my Dyna mountings etc... just a couple of little L brackets per coil and using the original bolts.

XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

so i cant use the HT wires that i installed last year when I got the black coils?

kinda on a budget here . . .
                              1979 XS1100SF 37000km
                              Green Dyna Coils
                              Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
                              kevXS

Comment

so i cant use the HT wires that i installed last year when I got the black coils?

kinda on a budget here . . .
                                Oh yes, you can. I thought the leads were moulded into the MikesXS coils. Obviously not. Yes, just use those...

Comment

Working...
                                X