exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust

Looking for a new exhaust for a 81 special.Only one I can find new is the MAC.Any ideas?

New, that's pretty much your choice. There's a few others out there (X-pipe, custom stuff out of Europe), but those are all waaay more money; $800 and up, with the emphasis on up.

Look for good used if you don't like the MAC, or if your head pipes/collectors are decent, some have adapted aftermarket/other bike mufflers to them (Supertrapp, JC Whitney, Harley take-offs, some others). The MAC is functionally a decent exhaust, but their chrome plating is crap...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

x pipe

Can you still get those x pipes out of europe?How do I check into those?The one,s I've seen are very cool.

Comment

Linky....

http://www.x-pipe.com/motorcycle.html
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

x pipe

Anybody ever had one of the campbell x pipes.He says gives some pretty impressive improved performence.But at two times the price of a mac?

Comment

I'm not personally aware of anybody who has run one of those, mostly due to the cost. The other thing with that exhaust design is it looks like you'd have to pull the exhaust off each time you change the oil filter. Not much fun in that...
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

x pipe

Your correct,not fun.I think I will just get the mac.At my age it'll be a good race who rusts first it or me.D

Comment

Yes choices are few but....I have had a MAC 4-1 on my machine and it is nearly 15 years old and still in good shape. Granted, I nurse my exhaust alot due to the few choices that are available.

It is a single wall pipe so it will blue up very quickly and there is nothing you can really do about that. Also, the chrome will rust up in about 5 years and you will be looking for a remedy. But the collector pipe and muffler still look like new chrome. Only the header pipes get funky because of all the high heat cycles they are exposed to.

If I were going new today I would buy one that has the painted finish on the header part and if I wanted a chrome-like finish I would send it out to a coater to have the inside and outside coated with Metallic Ceramic coating. that will prolong the life for literally years. Still would be less than the X-pipe.
                Mike Giroir
                79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Looks like you would also lose the center stand with the X pipe.
                  1995 KZ100P
                  Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
                  Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

I dont understand why someone (with better fab skills than I) doesnt start making exhausts for these bikes... ...seems like it could be profitable with the price everyone else is charging. It's not like theres a lot of material in that X-Pipe... not too many bends in it either. I'd be willing to pay ~$250 for one that has no baffles and is unfinished/ready to ceramic coat... even if I had to wait a month or so for it to be made.
                    '79 XS11 F
                    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Sound

I've come to love the sound of the stock system, and have reached the point where I need to replace it. How does teh 4-1 system sound by comparison? Over the years, I've had the spagetti Jardine system, and a couple others (on different XS's I've owned) I prefer the dual pipe look, but dont like the look of the 4-2 MAC and hate the way it sounds. I havent heard the 4-1 MAC, anyone have a comparison on sound? TIA
                      2005 FJR 1300 "Mission" (NON ABS)
                      1979 XS 1100 SF "Visitation" Owned since 1984 - SS Brake Lines, TKAT fork brace, Progressive Fork Springs.
                      1978 XS 750 D "Motivation" - 9" rear custom shocks, dropped front end, shaved seat

When Caged:2006 Jeep Commander, 1986 Cutlass 442, 1976 Porsche 912E (latest project)

Comment

I haven't heard a Mac 4-1 so I cannot comment on that pipe. I have had a Jardine 4-1 on my bike and I loved the sound it made. My only gripe with it is it has clearance issues under the right foot peg. I had a few bad scrapes with it and had to take it off because I found myself constantly thinking about it on right handers... its never good to have second thoughts in the middle of a turn!
                        '79 XS11 F
                        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog9 View Post
                          I've come to love the sound of the stock system, and have reached the point where I need to replace it. How does teh 4-1 system sound by comparison? Over the years, I've had the spagetti Jardine system, and a couple others (on different XS's I've owned) I prefer the dual pipe look, but dont like the look of the 4-2 MAC and hate the way it sounds. I havent heard the 4-1 MAC, anyone have a comparison on sound? TIA
                          The Mac 4-1 has a tinny ear deafening sound at 5K RPM's. I cut the Mac can off of there. A Supertrapp slips right on. Huge improvement in sound and power compared to the thin metal Mac system, JMHO. If you like the stock system sound Mac 4-1 ain't the one.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Well, my Rc Engineering/JCW 4-1's also had a tinny note. I drilled several holes around the center baffle opening and that helped to open it up and lower the tone a bit.

There was a discussion about exhaust notes/tones a year or so ago, and it was suggested that a LARGER diameter baffle opening would help to lower the resonance tone, but don't remember if someone actually did that and the real world result. I haven't looked at the muffler/baffle on the Mac but I think it's similar to the RC, in that the baffle is mounted to a large plate that bolts into the end of the megaphone pipe, so you can drill some holes and test the sound, if you don't like it, it's not difficult to put some bolts/nuts/washers to close the holes back up.

T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

exhaust

In my exhaust search I've found I can still get a Marshall deeptone made one off, for a little more money then the mac.I think I might go for the Campbell x-pipe mx-3.This pipe is made to retain the center stand.I know there's downsides to this pipe, but something different would kinda be nice too.Plus I think it looks very cool.Any thoughts from you fellow xs fans?

Comment

Working...
                              X