Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove the Yamaha badge on forks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
    It looks like a press fit but I have pried and tapped with a rubber mallet and ball peen with no luck. I don't want to deform it, but need to get behind it to change the brake lines. - - -
    Hi John,
    now you've worked out how to remove the chrome thing, here's a thought.
    Have you bought the new stainless brake lines yet?
    If not, toss that pesky connector away and buy two full-length lines that run from the m/c to the calipers.
    You'll never have to remove the chrome thing again and 2 long lines cost less than 3 short ones.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

too late Fred!

I actually bought the lines kit a long time ago last year - just now getting to it...

Thats a great idea though - why didn't Yamaha manufacture it that way from the beginning?

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Thats a great idea though - why didn't Yamaha manufacture it that way from the beginning?
        Because 30 years ago the stainless lines were NOT available for street use! I'll bet the pads on the special are not much worse than the new pads you are buying! The bikes seem to be easy on them, at least the specials.
        I'll have to look you up next time I get down to TAMU. I usually fly in to Austin, and drive on out....
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

You didn't have to remove the forks..... you could have got that off by loosening the clamp bolts/removing the stem bolt on the top tree, lifting the top tree/bars/gauges up and away, at which point the headlight/ears can be slid up/off.

As to why they didn't use two long hoses instead of the three short hoses, it's because of hose flex. While stainless braided hoses don't flex as much as rubber hoses, they still flex, so the more overall hose length you have, the 'softer' your brake feel will be.
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I only figured that late

and they were already mostly out so I just finished it - now I can polish up the upper sections that were under the ear tubes.

I probably am working harder than I need to at this, but gaining valuable experience.

Ray - just give me a ring -we can find someplace to meet up. I will try and do the same this summer as I plan to head to Sacramento to visit family after the Durango Rally in July. I need to look up Cy and some others too...

Thanks
            John

Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
              and they were already mostly out so I just finished it - now I can polish up the upper sections that were under the ear tubes.

I probably am working harder than I need to at this, but gaining valuable experience.

Ray - just give me a ring -we can find someplace to meet up. I will try and do the same this summer as I plan to head to Sacramento to visit family after the Durango Rally in July. I need to look up Cy and some others too...

Thanks
              John
              Cool, When you get ready to head up this way PM me and we can get together for maybe a ride and maybe I can throw some meat in the smoker and make some of my famous mac and cheese to go with it.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

famous mac and cheese...

That's not the one where you cook the carbs in the pot first?

Sounds good - I will let you know.

John

Comment

No, I boil the driveshaft in the pot first. The carbs leave the macaroni a bit gassy.

The driveshaft has just the right amount of grease for the rue for the cheese sauce.
                  Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                  Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                  Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                  750 FD Mod
                  TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Ok, this thread was the perfect help for me! Needed to pull the splitter because the banjo bolt from the MC hose started in crooked and boogered the first thread when putting stainless lines onto another 80SG I just picked up. Literally 5 minutes to loosen the top clamp bolts, the big center bolt and center pinch bolt. Lifted the top plate off, slid up the stupid tubes and the Yamaha emblem slid up to access the splitter bolt. Pulled the splitter, refreshed the threads and 15 minutes later was back together.

Thanks guys for going before!
                    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
                    X