Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove the Yamaha badge on forks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove the Yamaha badge on forks?

It looks like a press fit but I have pried and tapped with a rubber mallet and ball peen with no luck. I don't want to deform it, but need to get behind it to change the brake lines.

Side note - it seems like the outboard pads wear faster than inboard. I wonder if its feasible to swap sides halfway through? Has anyone tried or does the taper prevent this from working?

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Probably same on the STD but I know on my SF the forks go thru that badge and the headlight ears seat on it. Would have to drop the forks to remove it. Should be able to use a box end to loosen the hoses then 1 bolt holds the splitter. Drop that and remove the hoses. T

On the pads Yes on a StD, No on a Special
    Last edited by SFerinTEXAS; 04-30-2011, 11:56 AM.
    79SF
    XJ11
    78E

Comment

Standards don't have the badge up front.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

does the taper prevent this from working?
        Sorry I missed that clue. The thin edge on those pads is really thin when new. Should be a groove down the middle of the pad. That's the wear indicator. When it disappears on the thin edge the pads need to be replaced. L and R pad sets are side specific, cannot be swapped.
        79SF
        XJ11
        78E

Comment

whats holding the badge on the forks?

I don't want to pull the forks - I want to push the badge up out of the way of the hose splitter.

I cant see anything holding it in place except friction - just dont want to beat it out of shape loosening it if theres a crackerjack easy way of doing it.

Figured the pad swap was unrealistic or I'd of heard of it.

John

Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

Comment

The headlight ears sit on that badge, it will not move unless they are removed, IE drop the forks and slightly separate the triple tree. Should be no need.
            79SF
            XJ11
            78E

Comment

UPDATE. I am currently at where I have a SG parts bike and this is how I see things. NOTE. This bike has no headlight bucket or fuel tank mounted.

The top hose bolt is accessible from the front if the bucket is removed and from the rear if the tank is removed or maybe if the forks are turned full left the tank may be left on, I dunno. When i did my SF restore I had the tank and hdlight off when doing the brake hoses. The sPlitter bolt is a 10mm on the left almost butting against the tank badge, might be able to back it out up against the badge but could be a pain to replace if it will drop free.If you can get it loose and free then you could pull it down with the top hose.

Hate to say , If the hdlt bucket was off this would be pretty easy.
              79SF
              XJ11
              78E

Comment

It is a PITA at best to get that bolt on the splitter with the front end complete. A simple, well relatively simple, solution is to pull the top triple tree off.

I would raise the front end off teh ground to save pressure on just the lower tree. Then loosen the pinch bolts on the top tree at the forks, loosen the pinch bolt on the steering neck, remove the center bolt from the top tree. Now you can simply wiggle the top tree loose and off, the wire loom is long enough to let it sit back just enough. Put a heavy cloth or the like over your tank and let the bars and all sit on there.

Now, you may need to pull the headlight out and disconnect the wires anyway to let the headlight bucket and ears pull up the forks. Raising the headlight bucket up will let the fork cover slide up and that will give you access to the splitter.

Takes longer to explain than to do it really.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

forks off. now what.

I loosened the fork clamps and have forks all the way off. Badge is still wedged on somehow.

Surely I dont have to remove the lower triple tree part to get it off. How dumb is that?

What am I missing. Easy to miss something as I can barely see from sweat dripping in my eyes. Help! my eyes are burning!

john

Comment

John,

Hate to tell you this, but the headlight ears sit on top of that fork cover. There is also a rubber bushing on each side under the fork cover. The hole mes is sandwhiched between the upper and lower triple trees. You must at least loosen the upper tripple tree top bolt and the pinch bolt on the steering stem to let the upper triple tree move and open the space to let the parts come out.

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

About to get my tiny violin out. If the headlamp bucket is off all the hoses can be reached. No need to pull the splitter, it can be washed out if needed where it is. No forking with forks,emblem,triple tree, nada. Got chores,gotta go.
                      79SF
                      XJ11
                      78E

Comment

tiny violin!

I will see if I can move the bucket out and get to it - the limiting factor seemed to be the badge though not the bucket - may have to remove headlight ears to get it out...

Thanks for the help and advice - with forks out I see more to clean

Rehydrated with a couple of Radlers and chips to replace salt and fluid - though I know beer isn't the same as water

John

Comment

you guys rock. thanks

Loosened the top nut to twist the top tree (thanks Don)and wrangled the headlight ear tubes out of the way to move the bucket(thanks SFer) and removed the badge and lines.

Lightly screwed in new hoses (dont want to crush washers just yet) and started trying to take MC apart. Got stuck trying to get main plunger out and decided to call it a day. Got to order kits and pads or we wont be riding!

John

Comment

Honestly John, alot of folks reuse the parts in the MC and the calipers. They typically just need cleaning. But, I certainly understand if you want to be safe and rebuild.

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

I had torn rubbers

in both the right caliper and MC piston. I always remember hearing torn rubber=bad (I do have 3 kids) so I will just wait for kits. I suspect when I get the piston out of MC it will look bad. I am surprised the brakes worked as good as they did.
                              I am going to tear into Dylan's XS400 tomorrow with him so we can get him going. He watched me today so tomorrow I am watching and he's wrenching. I'm using my still OK lines on his front caliper since his is bad and we aren't dumping stainless lines onto a bike he will not be keeping that long most likely. Once he's 18 I am sure the first thing he will do is upgrade
                              My son in Hawaii went ahead and bought a bike - I was thinking about shipping Rising Sun out to him - but he got a 94 Honda Shadow VLX 650 (I think) and it looks really nice. It will be a great island bike where you are only running around town. So now I think I am going to bring Rising Sun home to Texas and go through it and keep as backup.

John

Comment

Working...
                              X